Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Frontier Armrests

I'll be honest, I'm not loving the armrests. I have not seem them in person, but I would rather do without them. Doesn't it state that they have to be down when driving? It just seems silly, they look rather flimsy (I'm sure they're not really) and it seems like one extra thing to do if you have a bigger child crawling in a smaller car. Seat buckled, chest clip placed and armrest down, KWIM? I know it isn't a big deal, but they don't seem necessary to me.

Anyway (any Britax engineers lurking? ), I was looking back over my blog when we first heard about the frontier, and found this picture of a seat from Finland that I had posted, as there had been speculation that it may look similar. Months later, with the seat out, it does have a striking resemblance, only without the armrests. So how about we just do away with those

Rachel & Caleb 3.31.05 37 lbs FF in an FPSVD and/or a Regent

http://www.crumbsinmycouch.com

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Frontier Armrests

We have the Frontier and I have no issue at all with the armrest. I do think the armrest having to be down while driving is sort of silly. I'm just not sure why they have to be. My dd tends to play with them but I've just told her they have to be down while we are driving.

Senior Community Member

I was told to look out for changes on the Frontier when I complained about the armrests

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

They are sturdier than they seem, yet pretty soft and comfy. DD doesn't like them since they aren't high enough to be actual armrests.

Problem is? Retailers do most of the seat design in this country... customers get all crazy about wanting armrests and cupholders so retailers tell the seatmakers that, so seats all get armrests and cupholders on them whether seat aficionados like us want them or not
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

My daughter on our trip around the neighborhood just kept raising them up no matter how many times I told her to put them down.

Not sure what safety aspect there is with them being up. Anyone know?

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    They are sturdier than they seem, yet pretty soft and comfy. DD doesn't like them since they aren't high enough to be actual armrests.

Problem is? Retailers do most of the seat design in this country... customers get all crazy about wanting armrests and cupholders so retailers tell the seatmakers that, so seats all get armrests and cupholders on them whether seat aficionados like us want them or not
    The funniest part of that is, that's why I bought a 3in1 when DS was 7 months...before I began researching carseats like I was writing a thesis. I'm like "oh look, this one has lots of fluffy pads AND a cupholder and armrests! That must mean it is nice!" LOL. Hindsight
    Rachel & Caleb 3.31.05 37 lbs FF in an FPSVD and/or a Regent

http://www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Does it specifically say they have to be down? I read the manual so long ago, I don't remember for sure.

I guess my dd is the odd man out; she could care less about the armrests & doesn't even lift them to get in. I don't know that I've seen her lift them once. She did wiggle it once & said "Look Mama" but I just told her not to play with it & it hasn't happened since. Honestly, I just don't think she even notices them that much.

Edited to add: I think they are sturdier than people think at first glance.

Carseat Crazy

Heck i say just bring us the Multi-Tech i would buy that over the frontier anyday

Quote Originally Posted by HEVY View Post
    I was told to look out for changes on the Frontier when I complained about the armrests
    such as?