DD threw up rearfacing!!!

MamaRica

Ok...I have been totally reconfiguring the car seats and I decided to turn DD (2) around RFing again...but she seemed to have gotten motion sick.
We had been driving for about 10 Minutes and she started whining (thought she was tired/cranky and all of a sudden she threw up all over herself and the seat (Signo...big pain to take the covers off...grrrr...) but she is doing just fine! I don't really think she is sick - after she got out of the car she was playing and everything...no fever, nothing.

Does anyone here have (older RFing) kids that get motion sick?
Could it be the deep side wings of the Signo...maybe she would do better in the Radian RFing (although I was going to sell it...)...or my old Marathon (not expired...04 model)?

Hmmmm...

Thanks for reading this. :)

ADS
My niece is 2(3 in November)-24 pounds and can't rearface because she gets carsick sitting backwards. I have tried different seats with her and also have tired sitting the seat more upright more down, nothing... This is the only exception for me not to rearface the kids. She throws up everytime she is Rf, but doesn't FF.

Now.. Have you tried a different seat?

orangemnms

My 3.5 yo gets carsick FF. Shes hovering at 31.5-32 lbs and I'm terrified of the messes that I am going to have to clean in the next 6 months or so, LOL. So terrified, in fact, that I bought a Scenera to RF her for those extra 2 lbs.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I don't know that I'd try her RF in the radian...you can't replace the straps if the puke smell won't come out.

Susan

MamaRica

Thanks for the fast replies...and thank you, Susan for letting me know about the Radian!...hmmm..I might try her in the MA..

aja

my dd (almost 2) gets very carsick in general, but she does alot better when the seat is way inclined (like you would for a newborn). i don't know why it makes a difference but the difference is huge. she gets carsick ff too though.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My dd threw up rearfacing, too. Which reminded me of the last time a kid threw up in the car... my OTHER girl, when SHE was 2...Forward facing! (I think the thing in common was driving on a curvy road...)

Anyway, good luck, it's no fun! (The straps of my Radian were stinky for about a week after a good rinse with water and Nature's Miracle, then they were fine again)
:)

my2kidsSafe

My son gets horribly carsick rearfacing. To the point he was actually loosing weight. I am a mess though as he is only 18 months, and i had to turn him around. This is after we tried every imaginable seating position and angle to see if it helps.

mimieliza

My DD got carsick for the first time a couple of weeks ago - we've moved to a mountain area and were on a looooong trip on a very windy road. Thankfully I managed to pull over before she threw up. But she was literally GREEN, face tear-streaked, drooling, just a mess.

I don't have much advice, except to say that when I managed to pull over before the puking happened, she perked right up once she was out of the car. We walked around for awhile in the fresh air, and when I put her back in the car, I gave her a sippy of water and some graham crackers to nibble on, and we were able to finish our trip without incident (another two hours, but a much straighter road).

She then did the same thing when I was driving in town. We have about a million of those European-style roundabouts, and after I had whipped through about ten of them, I heard the whine from the backseat: "Siiiiick!" Again, I managed to pull over quickly enough to avoid disaster.

I just read the new study about RFing to age four in Sweden, and am very convinced about the necessity of RFing as long as we can. I would like to know how they cope with sick kids in Sweden!

Caseylaine

I totally understand. I get carsick when going backwards (on the train). Feels like you're going through a time warp. :D:thumbsdown:

Hope you can figure something out!

mimieliza

what carseats can hold kids RF so long?

Many seats in the US now hold kids up to 35 lbs. RFing. I'm not sure if my daughter will make it to age four in a seat with a 35 lb. RFing limit, but I will keep her RFing until she is 35 lbs, whatever age that might be.

Seats in Sweden allow RFing up to something like 50 or 55 lbs., which is why they can RF for so long.

minismom

I had the same problem with my dd when she was around 9mo. It got better when switched her from the infant seat to a convertible (RA). I didn't get the blvd because I wanted her to be able to look out the window, as that helps. I also put motion sickness bracelets on her, make sure she's not wearing more than a long sleeve shirt so she doesnt get hot and I roll down the windows. Oh, and I also make sure she doesn't have too much liquid right before a car trip. So far she's only gotten sick twice since I started all this 6 months ago. And once she had eaten too many apples (bad) and the other time my ILs didnt put her bracelet in.
I'm also not using the radian because u cant remove or replace the straps. Try the MA. And hopefully she'll get used to it and it wont happen again. Oh, my dd rides with a a giant bib over the harness, just in case....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC