Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

If you got rid of your Como/Signo....

Please tell me why.

I'm consider the Como for DS2 and just wanted to hear some feedback.

I liked the Signo and to me, it seemed wider through the shoulders (I had 5 year-old DS1 try it first). But DS2 sweats so bad that I don't think the Signo's headwings will work for him.

TIA

(It's funny how you have *the* seat(s) picked out for when you get money...and then when you might get that money...you start second guessing what seats you really want! )
    Jamii ~ CPST ~ Foster Mom
    DS1 / 14 / Seatbelt * DS2 / 11 / Seatblet * DD / 8 / Spectrum and Rodifix * And a RF Headwise for Tiny

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: If you got rid of your Como/Signo....

I hated it for rearfacing...it was just WAY too bulky to get a bigger kiddo into and out of it, and I couldn't stand not being able to see my kiddo because of the big wings (like, when I was in the passenger seat and she was behind the driver and I couldn't hand her anything or see her )
    Since I have another year or two of RF to go, I returned it. (FF? my almost 8 yo was at the top slots, I was impressed, but her shoulders looked like a sardine crushed into those narrow sides! I'd get the Signo, I don't think it's any 'hotter' than any other seat because of the wings, really)
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    I hated it for rearfacing...it was just WAY too bulky to get a bigger kiddo into and out of it, and I couldn't stand not being able to see my kiddo because of the big wings (like, when I was in the passenger seat and she was behind the driver and I couldn't hand her anything or see her )
    Since I have another year or two of RF to go, I returned it. (FF? my almost 8 yo was at the top slots, I was impressed, but her shoulders looked like a sardine crushed into those narrow sides! I'd get the Signo, I don't think it's any 'hotter' than any other seat because of the wings, really)

Also, I hated how high the base was.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

We're on our 3rd Recaro.

The Como as a RF seat was plushy and all, but it was a PAIN to load a half floppy or tired big boy in there. The shell was so deep that there was almost no room to get him over.

The headwings are Overkill on the como. They are GREAT for Sn kids, but if you think the Signo headwings will be hot (they wont) then dont try a como.

The Como headwings push right up against their cheeks. The Signos are very well out of the way and let air circulate.

After owning both Signo and Como, there's no way I'd go back to a Como.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

I have 2 signos and love them but what I don't like about them is
    1. VERY high base
    2. Cumbersome to get my kids in/out of them (both are rf)
    3. Lack of leg room rf
    4. Heavy
    Thats all I can think of. But the good points outweigh the bad by far! So, I would never get rid of my signos, I just love them!

The base. That's why I didn't purchase the Como or Signo. If the base could be removed I would have 2 signo's in my car in a heartbeat Then again, both of my kids are ff'ing now. If they were rf'ing this wouldn't probably be my first choice, because as previous posters stated it's just to dang hard getting the kids in there.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

I have a como and wish I would have went with the signo, the como headwings are horriable they slide down the harness when you take the child out of the car, I don't have much use with the seat rf, but I do agree with others, the base sits up high, I have actually been thinking about getting a signo or even a truefit and ditching the como.

Carseat Crazy

I have a Signo, I love it and hate it at the same time. I am not fond of the base at all. I HATED it for RFing, there is virtually no leg room for the child and a huge PIA to get the child in and out. I had originally bought the Signo for DD2, that lasted 4 months and then I put her back into the MA and am now using the Signo for DD1. She needed a larger seat in my mom's car so my mom has the Signo now. I'll take it back and use it for DD2 when she is FFing or DD1 outgrows the Signo. I love how plush it is, and wish it was easier to use RFing.
    DD1-13y, DD2-9y, DS1-7y, DS2-4y

Carseat Crazy

You can remove the head wings on the Como at a certain point - I can't remember what the manual says about it. We've done that with DS, the sides are so deep, I'm not worried about decreasing SIP. I am right that you can removed the head wings???

RF, it is difficult to load a RF child in it, especially in a smaller car. We were lucky as DS could climb into it by himself, but when he was asleep, it was a pain. DS is now FF and DH loves the harness adjuster in the Como, it's easier than our Britax or Safeguard. The Como is in DH's car and he's happy with it. I prefer the Safeguard or Blvd that I have/had. I don't have a big kid, so the shoulder width probably won't be an issue for us, but it will matter for other children.

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    You can remove the head wings on the Como at a certain point - I can't remember what the manual says about it. We've done that with DS, the sides are so deep, I'm not worried about decreasing SIP. I am right that you can removed the head wings???

RF, it is difficult to load a RF child in it, especially in a smaller car. DS is now FF and DH loves the harness adjuster in the Como, it's easier than our Britax or Safeguard. I don't have a big kid, so the shoulder width probably won't be an issue for us, but it will matter for other children.
    Headwings in como are Required for RF and recommended for FF.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Mama! View Post
    Headwings in como are Required for RF and recommended for FF.
    I'll have to find my manual - I thought it was required for the bottom two slots, but optional for the higher harness slots. Off to think more about this.

CPS Technician JerseyGirl'sMama's Avatar

I have a Signo RF for my 17mo DD in an Acura MDX.

I don't have any problems with the height of the seat, getting DD in and out, or lack of leg room for her.

The worst of it is the long crotch belt. Although she doesn't seem to mind, the buckle sits over her belly button, and is tilted slightly in towards her body. Looks uncomfortable to me.
    DD 5.5yrs, FF in a Recaro ProSPORT
    DS 2.75yrs, RF in a Peg Primo Viaggio

Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.