my radian story and need help

bake1856

About a month or two ago I purchased a radian at Albee baby. When I got the seat my daughter sat in it and the straps were way too short. Because I had read here about the short straps I called sunshine kids and spoke to a man about it. He said that about 250 seats had been produced with the straps about 8 inches too short. He said he would send me some straps. We talked about the seat and he said his child was in it.

A few weeks went by and no straps. I called. Spoke to a man again. He said he had no idea what I was talking about. He also said he was one of the only men who would answer the phone. I asked him about the conversation and he said no the straps were fine and fit kids in states like California where the kids didn't wear coats (I let that go but will write sunshine kids later). I told him my daughter was 44 in and 44 lbs and didn't have a coat on in the seat. He said I could send the seat back and they would send me a new one. I asked about shipping and he said that it would be my responsibility. I asked to speak to a manager and he said it was him. He said there was no one else I could speak to. I said I would think about it and call back.

I was showing someone the seat and my daughter sat in it again and somehow the straps fit. I don't know if they were stuck on something but they fit. I was looking the seat over and found a crack by where the release button is. I called Albee babies and he said he'd send another. When this one arrived I checked before I even got it out of the box (one side of the box looked smashed). In the same place the whole piece was cracked off by the release button. Albee babies packed another one inside of a different box and sent it to me. This one's fine.

Finally the cold snap is over and my husband and I try to install it in all three vehicles. We have a 2003 Toyota Matrix, 2004 Toyota Corolla and a 15 passenger van (this is the one I bought the seat for). We cannot get a good install in any of the vehicles. I have only tried the seat belts because she only have 4 lbs before we would have to use them anyway.

So my big question is has anyone gotten a good install ff with the seat belts?
I think I'm going to end up sending it back unless someone can help. Also, if there's anyone in the KC area who wants to try the radian let me know and I'll meet you somewhere.

I have to say I was not impressed with Sunshine kids customer service and would seriously consider this if your thinking about a radian.

Sorry this was long. I hate making costly mistakes.

karen

ADS

USmominOz

Karen,

I talked to someone at a store who sells the Radian & he said that he has never had a problem w/ installing it (except for subaru outback) anyway he said that you have to reach in where the velcro is ion the side of the seat to pull the seat belt tight. I have yet to try one, I am hoping too when I come home.

Do you remeber if the person you spoke w/ name was Russell? Someone has sent him several pictures reg, not being able to get a tight fit and the seat belt getting scrunched. We are still waiting to hear back from him.

Karleen

menfusse

I got it in tight with belt. I have 03 taurus. I used a piece of no slip shelf liner, climed in with all my weight and reached through the cover into the belt path to tighten belt. I also stayed in the seat when I tightend top tether. I am pretty heavy so the seat sank down. When I got out, it just stayed put. Not even a wiggle. I am sorry to hear that so many people are having trouble. I am so pleased with mine. I also used the recline feature. It really doesn't provide much of a recline, but it gives the bottom a bit of something to dig in the seat with since there is no base. I didn't try it without recline, so I don't know if this made any real difference.

bake1856

Thanks, I'll get my husband to try reaching in the velcro. We both have tried getting in the seat and are large people. It initially seems tight but then when we shake it the seat comes loose very easily. It seems like the seat slides forward then it's loose.

I can't find information about the recline feature.

I'll go play with it a little later.

The person I spoke to was JC. By the time I asked his name I was asking for a manager so that may not be right.

karen

my3girls

I would like to see it, but the quickest I will be in KC is for Easter and maybe not even then. IF you still have it then, I would love to meet you!

U

Unregistered

Yeah I talked to a guy at Sunshine kids when I was researching seats and I was not impressed. Is answer to everything was "well, I have my child in it". When I asked him questions about it vs. the britax he said "what is a britax - I've never heard of them..., well we are the best on the market..., well we have the only reinforced seat (Safeguard - who?)..." Anyway you get the point. I went with Britax, but I am still curious about the radian. I need a seat for my dad's pickup and thought the radian (since it claims to put the child furthur back and is narrow) might work. Anyone tried it in a pickup (cente lap only belt)? Thanks

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
I just posted a review of this seat in the reviews section. I am a tech and I am throughly dissapointed in this seat's installation issues forward facing. I have sent both my review and my video that is in my review to Russell, and to JC at SunshineKids and have gotten nary a response. I have had good installations with the LATCH system, but LATCH is only good until 48lbs, and if you bought it with the intent to be able to use it to 65lbs, you are missing out on an extra 27lbs of growth if you can't get a good installation in your vehicle with the vehicle belt.

If you can't get a good installation, return the seat, it's not worth the extra cost if it doesn't work for you.

I'm more than likely going to have to move my child that was supposed to be using this seat (a 5yo) to a dedicated booster because I have no other options that are narrow enough, and harness to a weight over 40lbs. I dislike this, but it's something that I am starting to come to terms with possibly having to do. :( This seat was supposed to be for him to use in my husband's vehicle, where I would need to put all three children in the same row, so the other HWH options are too wide for him (Britax Husky), he is already too tall (Britax Marathon & similar) & the Safeguard is out of our price range.

bake1856

I actually used the recline feature and put my hands through the velcro slots and pulled. My husband did the same and the seat feels tight. I can't wiggle it loose. So at this point I believe I can use it in 2004 corolla although I haven't got a chance to try in the other vehicles. I really wanted it for the van although the husky should work in there.

We spent five hours in the car tonight and she slept in it for about an hour so it seemed comfortable to her. She also can hook and unhook herself which you could tell made her happy.

I will try it in the other vehicles tomorrow.

my3girls,
Let me know if you come to town and want to try it.

strollerfreak,
My dd weighs 44lbs so I would have sold it or returned it if it wouldn't install with the seatbelts. It just seemed like another alternative to a Husky (which I would have bought if this didn't work).

Thanks for the responses.

karen

ccjones

Hi all,
I was telling DH about all the issues that people seem to be having with installing the Radian FF using the seatbelt, and he was pretty confused as to why people are having such problems getting a tight install. Since we've had such gorgeous weather here in MD this week, and to prove his point, we went outside to his '05 Acura TL and he uninstalled the Radian RF, turned it around and installed it (with recline feature) FF with the seatbelt in his rear-center seat within 5 minutes. At that point, one of our neighbors came over to see what what going on, and DH, still wanting to prove his point that it's easy to install, took the Radian and installed in FF (with recline) using the seatbelt in our neighbor's '03 Honda Oddessey. Because of this little experiment, now our neighbor is interested in getting a Radian for their 2yo who is currently in an AO. Then, just for the hell of it, DH got in my '06 Xterra and turned my Radian around and installed it FF (with recline) with the seatbelt in the rear-center seat in about 10 minutes. I do want to mention that DH had to twist the female seatbelt stalk one time in the X in order to keep the buckle from going up into the carseat. All three installations, DH got a super-tight install...now granted, DH is also 6' 4" and 220lbs, so he has alot of brawn to put behind the installation. I'm not trying to be sexist or anything, but I am 5' 6" and 118lbs, so I wonder if I'd ever be able to get as tight of an installation as he can get? As we all know, hindsight is 20/20, so it was only after this that I realized I should have taken pics of the FF installations to post here. Maybe over the weekend, DH will feel like turning the seats around again.

Anyway, I thought I would share this with you all. I have not had a reason to call Sunshine Kids (SKJP) customer service, but Baby Outfitters (the high-end baby boutique where I bought my Radian from) RAVED about what a great company SKJP is, so I think if I ever had a problem with the Radian, I would just call or stop by Baby Outfitters and let them deal with SKJP on my behalf! LOL Like menfusse, I am very pleased with my Radian and I just feel it's a shame that so many people have problems with getting a tight installation.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Not just a weight thing...

ccjones, I also had my husband try to install our Radian, as he too was telling me that it was just because I was "too small" to do it right (I'm 5'3 and 120lb sopping wet) he's a stocky guy (5'6" and 215) and he could not get a good fit with the seatbelt in his Escape either, so it truely is not just a weight issue. There are really vehicles out there that are incompatible with the vehicle belt in the FF position. We also had the recline foot extended when we tried to install it, as it really seems that it would be very, very, very upright unless you use that recline feature.

After trying to install it in the center of the Escape in 15* weather, he came inside fussin' at me and told me, "Get something that works for Reilly, this thing needs to get out of my house." of course later that evening he also told me, "Woman, you've got me spoiled with all these Britax seats." which is true and not true, because we do use other seats as well, but we definately prefer our Britax!

It doesn't matter how big or small you are, as long as you are trained to install seats properly, and know the little "tricks" you can use to your advantage (leverage, reclining the vehicle seat, etc.) and know when to ask for help, you could be a little person and still be able to install a carseat properly.

I hate to say this, because I don't want to sound preachy or whatnot, but how many techs have gotten good installs with this seat FF using the seatbelt? It's not that I don't trust ya'll to get a good install, but 99% of people think their kids carseats are installed properly and we know that 80% of those are installed or used improperly. It just makes me a little queasy to see so many non-techs pushing this seat when it hasn't been checked by a certified technician. (donning my flame resistant suit!!!)

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
I agree with Strollerfreak

I tried installing my Radian FF in my Mercury Mountaineer (no LATCH). I got an ok install outboard with the lap/shoulder belt. It was tight enough, but I don't like the way the safety belt twisted through the belt path of the Radian, because the belt path isn't wide enough. I really need the seat in the center, however, and could not get an acceptable install. I don't believe that it has anything to do with size/weight because I have installed other seats (Britax Roundabout, Cosco Regal Ride) in that position without a problem. It's an ALR lap belt and it was just not possible to get the belt tight enough for an acceptable installation.

Ilana
CPST

ccjones

strollerfreak:
I wanted to let you know that yesterday, I stopped by the retailer where I bought my Radian because it's on my way to work. I didn't have to transport DS yesterday, so the seat was still installed FF. The owner of the store, Michelle, is a certified tech and she does free carseat inspections. Anyway, I wanted to see how good a job DH did with installing Radian FF in my X. Michelle checked the installation and told me that it was one the best installations of a Radian that she's seen. I don't know if she was exaggerating, but she jokingly said that DH should consider getting certified to be a tech! LOL But anyway, I was telling her that alot of people seem to have trouble getting it to install properly with seatbelt FF, and she agreed. Michelle told me that she's been able to get a good install in a few vehicles where the owners were unable to get it tight. But she said she has come across a few vehicles where it just doesn't seem to install as tight as she would like. Anyway, take this FWIW.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Has anyone tried installing it FF with belt in a captain's chair? I wonder if that might work since the back could be reclined then pulled upright again to help get tight??? My middle row bench is like this & I could try it out next month, but my 3rd row isn't reclineable & that's where I'm hoping to use the Radian: 2 outboard with SRC between :confused: I'm worried now it won't work in the back where I need it both RF & FF (SafeSeat & Regent or SafeGuard in the middle row bench) because it only has LATCH in the center *SIGH* So, now, I'm thinking of ordering 1 in time for my class to see if I can get help from various techs.... Anyone have any idea how likely it will be that Sunshine Kids will make improvement anytime soon? :eek:

mstarr

CPS Technician
In KC and Interested in Seeing Radian

I am a CPST in the KC area and despite your install saga, would be interested in checking this seat out. I thought a lot about buying one of these and decided to go with a Recaro Start for my DS (4 yo, 44 lbs, outgrown Marathon in torso height) in our second car (which is a great booster by the way--still not a harnessed seat though, as much as I love it, I wouldn't want to have him in it 100% of the time). His primary seat is a Husky but I needed something a little more portable.

However, I have several friends who are looking for their next seat and would be interested in seeing one of these in person so that I can give them good info about this seat. Unfortunately, I just loaned my Marathon out of town so I won't be able to compare the harness height now which is originally what I had hoped to do. Although, I still have my Wizard and that may be comparable.

If the offer is still available, I would definitely be interested in meeting you to see it. I have checked all high-end baby stores in KC and none are planning to carry this seat anytime soon. Also, in case you decide to send it back, I have a Husky that you are more than willing to test at the same time to see if that will meet your needs. I can't tell from your post if you already have one Husky or if you just mean you would consider buying one if this doesn't work. I don't think there are any Regents (Husky's replacement) in the KC area either for you to try it. Maybe Albee would trade the Radian for a Husky/Regent for you.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I got a great LATCH install in my Odyssey Captain's chair, and an OK install with the lap/shoulderbelt... I still haven't tried it rearfacing, and I haven't tried to adjust the harness with my 6 yo in it (she has a few inches growing room in it, but she's too tall for the Marathon). I didn't try it with the recline, but I wonder if that would make any of the installs better? My tether was installed backwards, and the button to loosen it was aiming down into my vehicle seatback...fortunately I was able to flip one side of the tether around and fix it, at least.

:)

bake1856

Mstarr, I'd love you to check my install. I've had every other seat checked but am working and don't have as much time. I live in merriam and see you're in shawnee. I work out of my home so am here a lot of the time.

Yesterday after we installed it, it seemed tight. I mean both my husband and I tried loosening it. Just now I went out to see and it is a little looser but I'm not sure if it moves an inch. I have a husky installed in that car also so I'll just put her in that until I can get it check.

Let me know.

karen

my3girls

I saw a Husky in KC during the summer of 05, it was at a store that I think was called USA Baby, it was north of 435 just a few blocks and I think west of Metcalf, it was in a strip mall next to an Enterprise car rental place. Not sure if they still carry it though. The saleslady was trying to talk me out of it (why on earth do they do that?) cause she claimed it wouldn't last me very long, saying that most kids think harnesses are for babies and refuse to use them. If I have the money and want to buy a seat made from a cactus, the sales people should just talk about it's good points, KWIM?! ANYWAY... it looks like we will be in KC for Easter, just checking to make sure you hadn't sent it back yet!

OK, I thought I would be cool and post the mapquest map of the store I talked about, but my computer is too lazy! This info might help:
USA Baby
913-962-1503
7275 W 105th St
Overland Park, KS

Just called them: They are selling marina Huskys (Huskies?) for $229.99 and I was told they have ordered Regents, but don't know when they will come in. (which could mean they already have them, but they just want to get rid of Huskys first!) Anyway, I was happy to find out they still carried them, maybe you can get more people to get them this way, Mstarr!

Last edited:

scatterbunny

I HATE it when people say, "oh, an older child will NOT want to ride in a harness!" GRRR. My almost-5yo prefers a harnessed seat, and I know plenty of other kids do, too. In most cases I think it is the adult's own preferences/opinions being shown to the child just a tad too much, that makes a child not want to ride in a harness.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
I got it in nice and tight FF in a 2000 Ford Focus, but only outboard. It did fit in the middle, but I couldn't adjust the harness. When it was outboard, all was fine. RF was a different story. It didn't work. When using LATCH outboard, it didn't work at all. B/C of the base, I couldn't even hook the LATCH connectors to the anchors. Thankfully, Ford allows use of the inner LATCH anchors in the center, so I installed it there and it wasn't too bad. It definitly fit FF better.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v11/mommy2cias/car seat pictures/
These are the pics I took of it.

Oh, forgot to mention that I also tried it in my dh's 2000 Ford Ranger, which is the reason I got it in the first place. It doesn't fit all, RF or FF. It scrunches up the seatbelt and the latch plate is on the edge of the belt path. Very disapointing.

bake1856

I still have the Radian. I'm getting the install checked this weekend. I think it's tight ff in our Matrix outboard but I'll see. I really want it to fit in the van but I might still keep it if it fits in any of our vehicles.

karen

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC