Pontiac G8

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Has anyone had the opportunity to install a car seat in the new G8? Dh is still trying to make up his mind on what vehicle he wants to buy me/himself. Like I said before this will be my vehicle for about 2yrs before it's his. He wants something sporty but still family friendly.

We don't want 2 car payments but his truck needs to not be his everyday driver anymore. No reason to get rid of a paid off vehicle that is still in great shape for a car payment. Plus my lease is almost up so we know we have to get something in place of it anyways which means car payment.

ADS

mish

I haven't had a chance to install car seats in this vehicle, but I love it. I just thought I would share.

I have installed seats in a Grand Am and a Grand Prix and they are really easy. I imagine the G8 would at least be similar, but I don't know.

oops, made that reply about me!

crunchierthanthou

G8 or G6?

We rented a G6 in May. It's very similar to the Malibu as far as installations. Ds's MA was rf in the middle- both with LATCH and then with the seatbelt when we ended up with two more passengers. The center lower anchors overlap the driver's side outboard like in several other GM vehicles. Dh is 6'4" and had plenty of room.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
We went to look at one last night but the dealership was closed so no playing with carseats in it. The rear headrests appear to be fixed and do stick out some but not as bad as other vehicles I have seen/worked on. For me the lower anchors don't matter anymore as my girls are over the weight limit for their seats anyways. I just wonder how the Regents will work with the headrests. Also highback boosters too.

I will say at least it does have a tall seat back but bummed to see the center position lacking a headrest. This would be an issue with a lowback booster in the center. Maybe not once the child was out of a booster for a short time. I know the reason is due to rear visibility for the driver but I think they could have maybe made the rear center console smaller and had the headrest sit flush with the top of the back seat but made it adjustable in height. This way when not needed it doesn't impair the drivers rear visibility but when needed that seating position had adquate head support.

We may go test drive one this weekend and I will try to play around with car seat installation. I will say I am very impressed with the vehicle and it looks super cool for a 4dr sedan. Only sucky thing is gas mileage but of course dh wants the V8 :rolleyes:.

mish

I don't know if the seatbelts are the same, but my grand am has really crappy lightweight locking latchplates. I hope the G8 doesn't have them. I really hate them. They do not hold well at all.

crunchierthanthou

okay, I answered the question for the wrong car. :eek: I didn't realize there was a G8 now- I'm assuming it's about the same as the Grand Prix was. We rented one of those in February. I know you said LATCH doesn't matter, but it has 3 full sets that can be used at the same time. The back seat is really wide- like the Impala. The headrests were super high. They may not interfere with the Regents and the center position may still be tall enough (I sat there without a problem). My only complaint was that the back seat has quite a bit of recline to it and the rear window is really sloped. If I leaned back against the seat, it seemed like the window was right above my head.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I don't know if the seatbelts are the same, but my grand am has really crappy lightweight locking latchplates. I hope the G8 doesn't have them. I really hate them. They do not hold well at all.

From what it looked like the belts in the 2nd row were all switchable retactors with sliding latch plates.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC