Vacation with 3 kids alone and carseats?

kanga

I have traveled alone with kids many many times. When i had just two kids I would take the marathons on the plane for my girls. Now they are 6(34 lbs) and 4(32lbs). I also have a 17 month old ds. I will be traveling from arizona to texas, staying a week, then going to south carolina for a week. I had major surgery on my foot 4 months ago and i am finally able to walk on my foot though its painful. What should I do about all 3 carseats? I really dont want to check them but i can't manage 3 carseats, 3 kids, a stroller and me with crutches alone. :eek: My girls are too small for boosters so my only option is to check the carseats right? Any other ideas? My MIL said just dont bring carseats. Yea right, that isn't an option in my book. I'd rather be inconvienieced than have my kids not protected in the car. As for my stroller, should i take the mini jogger or should i get a maclaren or something similar for my 17 month old?

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I don't have any advice but I wanted to wish you luck!

I can't imagine traveling by myself on crutches yet alone with 3 kids in seats...you are a brave lady!

I hope you are able to get a pass for someone to help you get to the gate at the airport.

Do you have a Go-Go Kidz or know someone with one that you could borrow? That way you could check your stroller and put your young one in a seat on the Go-Go Kidz.

Citrine

I would opt for a smaller stroller then a mini Jogger. I think it be best to bring the 17mo car seat on the plane. the 4yr old and 6yr old should understand to stay in there seats, as a 17mo old wants nothing to do with sitting and wants to run free. Keep in mind that every bag you check will cost you money. we are flying Us Airways and the first bag is $15, all other checked bags are $25 each! Not happy about that. You could also call the airline and get help. I see the elderly people get carted around, no reason why you cant b/c you are on crutches. Good luck on your trip

Kat_Momof3

I would get Ride Safer vests for the girls, put them in the carry-ons, get a Maclaren (the triumph or the volo, which are lighter weight so that the 6-yr old can push it), have a backpack as your carry on that can double as your carry on AND diaper bag... and make sure all the suitcases have wheels so that the kids can help with them.

Call ahead to see if they have valets and to see what they can do to help you at each airport in terms of carts to drive you and/or just carry the luggage.

kanga

I guess I should have mentioned that I am pressed for time. This is a last minute trip and we leave this monday. We live in a really small town and there aren't any stores I can get any of those items at. I'm not sure it would get here in time if i ordered them. THe city mini is a really light stroller. My 6 year old pushes it all the time since i have been in a wheelchair, crutches, etc..

BW1426

I'd call the airports and see if they will be able to assist in any way. Some airports have such services. Even if you had to pay for the service, in my book it will be worth it. You'll have your handsful if you're on crutches with three kids without carseats.

Melanie

Could you have someone at the other end meet you with car seats? Would your older kids fit in Sceneras?

Then take the youngest's seat. Give the bigger kids their own backpacks for their stuff. I'm guessing you'll need the stroller for the baby...so could you rig the car seat to carry it on your back...with luggage straps or something. Hopefully, a flight attendant will help you lug the car seat down the isle.

Also, contact the airline and see if they'll have someone help you. Wouldn't you be sort of be considered disabled at this point?

jewlsvern

I flew when I was on crutches. No kids at the time, just 7 mo pregnant. They brought me a wheelchair and wheeled me right to the door of the plane. Your oldest could push the youngest in the stroller and look into getting a cart to put the car seats on. They should help you out at the airport. They are usually accommodating.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
If the vests are not an option and someone on the other end buying seats is not an option, I would get car seat bags and check the older kids seats. Really, what choice do you have? There is not way you can physically gate check them or get them on the plane. Is it the ideal way to transport seats? No. But, it is an option and will work in your situation. If you can get carseat bags, even better.

Is the baby in a MA as well? If so, I'd get the Go Go Kidz, put baby in it and have the 6 year old pull/push the baby.

Jan06twinmom

I don't know if you have worked out your travel plans yet. My suggestion would be to see if you can work it out so that someone can go through security to help you get to the gate with the carseats and children. We recently figured out that we could take the $3 luggage carts at the airport through security and it was so much easier moving the carseats and our stuff that way.

Then make arrangements for someone from the airline to help you get the carseats and children on board the plane.

You would also need help getting off and have someone waiting at the gate to help you off the plane.

As you are traveling, you can always ask for help from other passengers as well. As someone said on another board, you tell people what you need help with. They'll look at you on crutches with three kids and all of your stuff and they'll be afraid to say no!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC