Frontier Review and Chat with Britax Engineer

ctbcleveland

ADS

singingpond

Thanks for posting! If it was posted before, I didn't see it.... thank you for providing the links.

So, Parkway already out of production, Monarch going out of production just about now -- that was a short-lived product... Did it not sell well? I haven't really been keeping track of conversations about the Monarch, but I guess I don't remember people sounding enthusiastic about it very often.

Katrin

ctbcleveland

I too was suprised by the decision to get rid of the Monarch so quickly. The Frontier is an expensive option if you are looking for a booster for an older child who is truely too big to be harnessed.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
On that second link they're smoking if they think the Nautilus' top slots are lower than the Frontier's. They're off by at least an inch. Which makes them decidedly biased, IMO.

Wendy

fyrfightermomma

I still don't understand the theory of complete going away from dedicated boosters.

Yes, I know harnessed is safer and you want to harness as long as possible. However, the only option out there for that is the Regent. Do they think once a kid outgrows the Regent they are fine in a belt??

We all know PLENTY of kids who outgrow it by height WAY before they are big enough/mature enough for just a seatbelt.

What are you supposed to do with those kids? Boosters do have a place. I am not seeing their reasoning behind not make them anymore except on harnessed seats. What parent who has a child who outgrew the Regent is gonna go buy the Frontier just for the booster part??

People are going to take their business elsewhere :twocents:

singingpond

I too was suprised by the decision to get rid of the Monarch so quickly. The Frontier is an expensive option if you are looking for a booster for an older child who is truely too big to be harnessed.

Yes, I'm really sad to see the Parkway go (won't really miss the Monarch, but that's only because I haven't wanted to buy one, LOL). I need to do 3-across installs, and really like the Parkway because it fits, and has the SIP. It sounds like Britax is abandoning the dedicated booster market entirely? That's too bad, if true, but the people in the interview did not give any hint that any new boosters are in the works :(.

Even if I was willing to spend the money for the Frontier just as a booster (which I probably wouldn't), it likely will not fit in my primary vehicle -- because of the 3-across requirement. I'd like to give it a trial fit if/when a local store carries the seat, just out of curiosity, but I'm not optimistic, since the Parkway is already a bit of a challenge to buckle in our current setup.

I only have one child in a booster now (and am actually considering whether I can get him back into a 5-point harness at least some of the time); it will be several years before my next youngest is booster age. Otherwise I might be tempted to stockpile a few Parkways :D, but I don't think it makes sense in the timeframe.

Katrin

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I HAD to comment on her bizarre assertion that Z would need a booster after the Regent, but the Radian 80 would surely get her to seatbelt age... :eek: (I'm SURE it was a typo, but still...???)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Does anyone have an email address over at Britax? Their site only has a phone number. People who need help with their seats use that number, we don't need to increase wait times to complain. Plus an email has a better paper trail, as it were.

I think Britax is shooting themselves in the foot. They have the best booster for three across. And they got rid of it.

They need to up the top harness position on the Frontier, and offer a Frontier Lite, which is just the booster part. Then they can discontinue the Regent, since a higher harnessed seat would be out, and they don't need to worry about the dedicated booster market because they'd have the highest one out there. Though they'd have to make it a little narrower.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Frontier Lite, I like that. I'd like to buy a cover for my FR that doesnt have harness slots in it since I'll be using it as a booster for years...:thumbsup:

fyrfightermomma

I guess I dont understand their reasoning at all....

Ok you have two choices....keep in mind Britax is all for "harnessing as long as possible"

1. So since they want you to harness as long as possible you buy the Regent. Its outgrown alot of the time before being big enough for a seatbelt. So now you need a booster. Except, they don't make boosters. Your only option if you want Britax is to buy the Frontier and just use as a booster. But why would I buy a combo seat just for the booster? People are just going to another company to buy a booster. I do like the idea of the Frontier Lite though. The Frontier looks like it would make a good booster. HOwever, no way it will work for 3 across.

2. Your other option-Buy the Frontier when big enough for a FF seat. Except now you are not going to be "harnessing as long as possible" as they advocate because the Frontier is outgrown much sooner. So now you switch to booster mode earlier than you would with the Regent.

Uhhh....is it just me or does anyone else not get it. Its either harness a long time in the Regent and buy another companies booster, or buy the Frontier, not harness as long as possible and booster them earlier. Hmm....:confused:

skaterbabs

Someone over at Britax is smoking something. These descisions make absolutely no sense at all.

My boys outgrew the Husky/regent two years ago. CJ still doesn't pass the 5 Step test in my Suburban, MIL's Avalanch or FIL's Mercedes SUV. And he'll be twelve in a few weeeks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Uhhh....is it just me or does anyone else not get it. Its either harness a long time in the Regent and buy another companies booster, or buy the Frontier, not harness as long as possible and booster them earlier. Hmm....:confused:

No, this makes no sense. Britax isn't thinking properly at all.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not that I expect them to know it all, but I'm on the phone with a Britax rep right now. She says that the Parkway was discontinued last year (we knew that) and she's checking on the status of the Monarch for me.

We definitely need an email address to send a letter writing campaign to. I'll ask if they have any other dedicated boosters in the pipeline.

She says within the year the Monarch will be discontinued. She doesn't know of anything else coming along, though she agrees one would be a good idea. I told her to tell them that they need one, they need to make it narrow like the Parkway, tall like the Frontier. Even said "Frontier Lite" to her. And to make it $150. Since no one will spend $280 on a Regent and then $280 on a seat they'll use half of, and by the time someone is out of the Regent they sure don't need nine years worth of a booster. That would literally take them through driver's ed. Granted, the Frontier is tall enough they'd probably fit, but they'd also probably fit just fine in the seatbelt by the time they're 13 or 14.

Wendy

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Surely they have another booster waiting in the wings? I just cannot imagine them getting out of the booster market altogether. The Frontier is a great seat, but honestly, I would not recommend it for just anyone. The install is just more than the average person can handle. Not to mention, boosters are necessary, regardless of what seat you use. My dd will outgrow the frontier in the next year or 2 and she will need a booster.

PHaley

Haven't had a chance to play with the FR yet but I agree a dedicated booster thats narrow (for 3 across), comparably as tall, latchable/tetherable, and what about turning into a backless if they can keep the 9 yr exp. I'm new to the booster world but can see if they did make the FR w/ taller slots and discontinue the RG but come out with this new dedicated booster (fun covers of course) that would make them once again a favorite of many :)

Mom2MyStars

OH NO! Thay can't just get rid of all their dedicaded boosters! They better ahve a new once comming out soon!

This leaves me so lost......

momofmany

It really doesn't make any sense!

But now you've got me thinking... should I go ahead and buy a parkway for my 8yo who's turbo booster expires next summer (I'm sure he won't be seatbelt ready yet; my current 10yo isn't and I'm getting a parkway for him as his starriser has expired.) Looks like there won't be any around next year, and there are still some cheap ones to be found now. hmm....

M

momtoone

On that second link they're smoking if they think the Nautilus' top slots are lower than the Frontier's. They're off by at least an inch. Which makes them decidedly biased, IMO.

Wendy

I'm from ZRecs and we actually got the information on the top slot height from both of the manufacturers. If the Nautilus top slot height is off, it's because they provided the wrong height, not because we are biased. We work very hard to present unbiased, accurate reviews and information.

Best,

Jennifer

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC