Safeseat or Keyfit?

seamonkeys

I really like the looks of the Keyfit - mainly the newborn insert. Looks much better than the rolled ones that go around their head! They never really helped keep my kid's head from slumping over! But I see that the Safeseat also has some seats that come with a padding version like the Keyfit. So, hit me with your preferences!!

If they are pretty much same, maybe I should just go with whatever I can find on swap between now and due date!?!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

They are pretty similar. The Keyfit base is slightly easier to use and it fits tiny babies better. The Safeseat will likely last ~6 months longer maybe more.

seamonkeys

They are pretty similar. The Keyfit base is slightly easier to use and it fits tiny babies better. The Safeseat will likely last ~6 months longer maybe more.

Well, tiny would not describe my babies! :rolleyes: DS2 was over 9 lbs! But they don't gain quickly - both were about 19 lbs at 1 year. I do remember trying DS2 in both seats when he was over a year and noticed he still fit in the SS1, but the KF looked almost too small - but he also wouldn't let me really get him in the seat since he was then quite mobile! My kids usually outgrow by height before weight, so it sounds like the SS1 may be a better fit. I'll have to keep an eye out on swap!

melniemi

Depends how long you want to use it for. I loved my keyfit and would buy one again. I loved how the infant insert was so snug and how the head support worked like little pillows. We never had any head slump. My dd fit in it at 12.5 months when we sold it and put her in the marathon. Granted, she is a peanut and would likely still fit at 17 months, but I don't think I would use it that long. I like to tether rfing when baby is older and I didn't always take the seat out of the car when she got bigger.

Pics for you:love:
2 weeks old
100_4413.jpg

12 months - I removed the head support around 11 months
100_6266.jpg

It all depends on personal preference. I would play with both and see which you like better. The SS sure does have some cute girly covers now:whistle: But I felt the KF was sturdier and felt more solid, and the adjuster strap was so smooth.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I had a Safeseat and my sister has a Keyfit. I would choose the Keyfit but if you want to use your infant seat for a long time the Safeseat would do that better. If using the infant seat past a year isn't a concern for you then go with the Keyfit!

Holly

I would pick the keyfit too, I love that newborn insert!
Too bad we have a perfectly good, non expired snugride already, so I can't get anything new.
I don't usually have my babies in their infant seats past 6 or 7 months anyway, so I dont need something big really.

Kat_Momof3

Well, tiny would not describe my babies! :rolleyes: DS2 was over 9 lbs! But they don't gain quickly - both were about 19 lbs at 1 year. I do remember trying DS2 in both seats when he was over a year and noticed he still fit in the SS1, but the KF looked almost too small - but he also wouldn't let me really get him in the seat since he was then quite mobile! My kids usually outgrow by height before weight, so it sounds like the SS1 may be a better fit. I'll have to keep an eye out on swap!

You can only use the insert in the keyfit until 11lbs... you can continue to use the headrest portion after that, but the body support has to come out then....

The ss1 would definitely be a better choice for you... especially as it easily lasts longer being a taller seat.

steph

Another Keyfit vote here.

Ryan was always in the 90% for height and weight and would have lasted about 1 year in the Keyfit30 (when we had the Keyfit it was new so it only went to 22lb) - I probably could have gotten another 4-6 months out of the SS1 but I am perfectly fine only using a infant seat for 1 year - I think much past that Ryan would want to sit up more and see better.

seamonkeys

Oh man, I thought I would just go with the SS1, but now you've convinced me to play with the KF more before making a decision!! Longest I've ever kept my kids in them is 9 mths, so if it would get me that I'd be happy.

clmchrissy

I've never had a keyfit, but I do have the SS1. I love my SS1! Except its getting too big for DS2 @ 6 mo to carry around all the time. We have the Bermuda design from BRU & the pillow that came w/ it worked great for a newborn. I wasn't sure it would, but I never noticed his head flopping around.

seamonkeys

Depends how long you want to use it for. I loved my keyfit and would buy one again. I loved how the infant insert was so snug and how the head support worked like little pillows. We never had any head slump. My dd fit in it at 12.5 months when we sold it and put her in the marathon. Granted, she is a peanut and would likely still fit at 17 months, but I don't think I would use it that long. I like to tether rfing when baby is older and I didn't always take the seat out of the car when she got bigger.

It all depends on personal preference. I would play with both and see which you like better. The SS sure does have some cute girly covers now:whistle: But I felt the KF was sturdier and felt more solid, and the adjuster strap was so smooth.

I so wanted to buy your KF when you had it for sale! But wasn't positive we would go for another baby then!!! Your DD is so cute in those pics!

This is a hard choice cause my boys have come out big, but then don't gain quickly and are actually low on the scales! So I think the KF would work for about a year. It's at least bigger than the older style Peg Perego, right? DS2 was in one for a few months, but seemed like he was swished width-wise really quickly!

steph

I so wanted to buy your KF when you had it for sale! But wasn't positive we would go for another baby then!!! Your DD is so cute in those pics!

This is a hard choice cause my boys have come out big, but then don't gain quickly and are actually low on the scales! So I think the KF would work for about a year. It's at least bigger than the older style Peg Perego, right? DS2 was in one for a few months, but seemed like he was swished width-wise really quickly!

This is a summary (from another thread) of why I prefer the Keyfit. And like I said Ryan was big 9lbs 2oz at birth and remained big, he still would have made it to at least 12 months in the Keyfit 30.

Let's see...
1. If you think the SS1 is easy to install the keyfit is easier (has LATCH like Britax vs the clips like the SS1) and the seat belt install is so easy.
2. feels more sturdy - just feel the plastic on the graco vs the keyfit - it just feels like a better constructed seat to me
3. harness adjuster is smooth like butter - so nice
4. chest clip isn't huge
5. fits small babies well - love the infant insert and head support
6. takes up less room than the SS1 - The SS1's shell is bigger

-Despite the fact that the SS1 goes to 32 inches and the keyfit to 30 - the Keyfit has a way deeper shell so although the shell isn't as long, it is deeper. Ryan would have made it to 15-16 months in the keyfit30 and about 18-19 months in the SS1 and he has and is a big boy.

Bottom line they are both great seats I just feel that the Keyfit is better made and has a few better/easier qualities to it but in the end the are pretty equal, it's not like your comparing the SS1 an evenflo

Here is the thread if your interested
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=324584#post324584

seamonkeys

my friend just got this SS1-

http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-infant-safeseat-step-1-8a05rxy-roxy.html

April 08 DOM- not bad for $100.

I saw that! Definitely made me stop and think about that one!

This is a summary (from another thread) of why I prefer the Keyfit. And like I said Ryan was big 9lbs 2oz at birth and remained big, he still would have made it to at least 12 months in the Keyfit 30.

Okay, more convincing me to look at the KF again! I do really like the look of it! DS2 was 9 lbs 5 oz at birth, but by 12 mths was barely over 18 lbs and 30"! I am thinking of trying to keep this one in the infant bucket till 1 yr, and I'm pretty sure I could do it with the KF. I do hate that it's so much more money! Maybe I could find one on swap in time! ;)

seamonkeys

I would pick the keyfit too, I love that newborn insert!
Too bad we have a perfectly good, non expired snugride already, so I can't get anything new.
I don't usually have my babies in their infant seats past 6 or 7 months anyway, so I dont need something big really.

Lucky for me I sold DS2's Snugride after I moved him out of it! I was on my "done with kids" phase and was getting rid of everything! So darn, I get to buy a new seat! :rolleyes: Along with a few other new (but probably used) items!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC