Becoming a tech

Michi

Other than taking the required class, are there any other requirements for becoming a tech? I am really interested, but I was just wondering how much of a time committment it would be? Isn't there a requirement for performing so many installs per year?
My 4 little one keep me busy, but I've always been a 'safety nut' and it really would be nice to have credentials to back me up when I'm offering my friends "helpful suggestions";)
Thanks, Michi

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think you have to check 10 seats a year after being certified and then retake the written test every few years?

Michi

Thanks!
I could definitely do 10! They have Safe Kids car seat checks all the time around here, and I could volunteer at a few of them, but I just couldn't do it all the time.
My DH has been traveling a lot, so I won't be able to make the Spring classes, but I'm hoping maybe for Summer/Fall.

U

Unregistered

Sounds like you will be able to do it. I can only work one or two checks a year. I actually just worked at a health and wellness fair with SafeKids and took my kids, ages 6 and 3. My DH is also a tech and was there too. It wasn't a check but its still staying involved in cps stuff.

The first year I was a tech I did very little. I spent 3 months on bedrest then had a newborn with health problems so I think I only did one check and he was 3 months old by then. I took the class while pg with him.

Good luck in the class, the hardest part is finding someone to watch the kids for 4 days for the class. I got lucky and my DH took the time off.

Michi

Unregistered said:
the hardest part is finding someone to watch the kids for 4 days for the class. I got lucky and my DH took the time off.

That is exactly my problem! Since he's been travelling, it just hasn't been possible. Hopefuly his travel schedule will slow down by Summer, and he can take vacation. (Plus, then school will be out and he's get 'quality time' with all 4!!!;) )

scatterbunny

I start the 4-day class tomorrow. My dh is taking vacation time so we don't lose any money (aside from the class fee and gas...it's 2 hours away, one-way). I count my blessings that we are in a position that this works out.

Good luck to you, and I hope you find a way to get certified. :)

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
Thats what I did too, DH took the time off of work. Luckily for him we only had one kid at the time and she was just turning 2.

Have fun at your class!!!!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
My class starts the 28th and I'm still looking for daycare! I don't want dh to take off all week (and he doesn't either, he's still kind of new in this position) so we're finding friends and family! I have Tues afternoon taken care of, maybe all day Wed, mornings might be able to be done w/ SIL, and if need be DH can take off a little time (go in really early and do the afternoons when SIL goes to work) or there's supposedly a good drop in daycare here that I could use (as my last option).

skaterbabs

Good luck finding childcare! I lucked out in that my class letout only an hour after my sons got home from school, so MIL watched DD for me and got the boys off the bus.

skipspin

I'd watch your kids if you were closer! (I suppose sending them to FL isn't an option? LOL) I am taking my class the 20-24th, and DD is staying with her "boy" friend from Sun night- Tuesday night, I'm not sure where Wednesday, then with her Aunt Thrs. She might be able to stay with her aunt Wed too, just don't know for sure yet.

That's great we are all getting certified!
Joy
DD 8-21-03

LuvBug

My class doesnt start until april 26&27 then may 3&4. Mom will watch DS and is actually supportive of it(I thought shed think I was even crazier than I am lol!) but she said if I want to to do it. Hopefully it will be in a good driving range, but its free! So thats a plus!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC