How do I bring up the subject of carseat safety?

ProudMomof5

Here is my situation.
We have had these particular neighbors for a few months now. I have never even said a word to them until recently, and that has only been brief - when their daughter wants to play in our yard.
Anyway, I have noticed that she has her son, I am guessing he is 2 1/2 because he is smaller than my 3 year old and is still in diapers... or he could be a really small 3 y.o... I don't know, anyway, he is in a belt positioning booster. It's high back, at least... but still - he is WAY too small. My 3 1/2 year old is quite a bit bigger than him and she only weighs 33 lbs.
I don't know what to do.

I feel that I am obligated to at LEAST tell her what I know about ERF... and for sure EH (which in his case wouldn't even be extended at this point!) I know I need to say something... he is WAY too young to be in a booster - isn't the law 4 years AND 40 lbs? There is no way he is either of those!

So, I how do I approach her? Like I said, we don't talk. I mean, even when her DD comes over she just runs in and asks her mom and my girls run in and ask me... then she climbs over and plays in our backyard.
When I do see her putting her son in his seat we are both in a hurry getting in our cars... it would be weird to stop her at that point too!

I want to print out some info and maybe stick it under her windsheild wipers, but I feel that i am being cowardly... and not only that, but what if she saw me? LOL - that would be so embarrassing.
I can wait until I become better "friends" with her... but we both are shy it seems, and what if something happens to her son in the meantime?
So, WWYD?

ADS

Carefulove

I would find a time where she seems relaxed on the weekend, walk up to her and just tell her what you think. Tell her that you are aware it may seem strange, but as a mother, you want to pass helpful information to as many moms as possible. Lay it out to her, give her documentation that goes straight to the point and can educate her. Let her know that you are there if she has any questions.

Remember, you can bring the horse to the river, but you can't make him drink!

Pepse

I would casually walk over to her and act like you don't know and say, i noted that your ds is in a booster?? How old is he?? It was my understanding that they had to be harnessed until 40lbs and just carry on from there. DOn't act like a know it all, just tell her what you know and then maybe suggest that you will take a look on the net to find out for sure and will let her know yoru findings.

mish

Honestly, I don't think I would even bring up ERF. The chances of her going from a booster to rear facing are probably pretty slim. I would definitely bring up the harnessing issue. I would start with just talking about putting him in a 5 point harness, then make some recommendations if she is open to it. Talk about the Nautilus and Frontier and how great it is that you can harness them longer and then convert to a booster.

monstah

I am VERY shy so I will tell you what I would do.

I would just run over to her one of those mornings you are both running out and tell her you just found a really great website about car safety that you never knew existed. "I learned SO MUCH and was about to put ds/dd in a booster until I saw this, give me your email and I will send you the link, you have to check it out!" And send her the link to this website. Quick and painless....
After a few days you can ask her if she got a chance to check it out. This should hopefully open up an easy line of communication. And you could send her another link here and there.

I am SUPER shy, so telling her that I am new to this site too would help me have an "even" conversation. (If that makes sense) It may only make sense to me. I would consider this little white lie worth it because it may be the only way for me to start talking to her about getting her dd back into a 5 point harness.

HOPE IT GOES WELL... YOU CAN DO IT!

ame0312

i made up this brochure that i put on people's windshields... it might help... im very shy, but so passionate about car seat safety... just dont know how to bring it up to people!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC