News New European research - kids should RF up till four years

ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Thanks for providing a link to the entire study. It's really a superb study and I'm totally engrossed in reading it right now.

Kecia

*HH*

Yes, I believe it would! It is ridiculous that the US and other countries haven't got RF up till 55 lbs. Maybe this can help change that?

abacus2

Looks like I need to tell my sister never to use the Cosco HBB combination seat I gave her as a booster. I'm amazed by how much damage can be done by having stuff in the trunk.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Looks like I need to tell my sister never to use the Cosco HBB combination seat I gave her as a booster. I'm amazed by how much damage can be done by having stuff in the trunk.
And it wasn't just in hatchbacks or SUV's, the risk is there even with a regular trunk. Luggage can just bust right through. I guess the lesson is, strap EVERYTHING down in your cargo area/trunk.

*HH*

It actually got on the 21 o'clock news here in Norway. They actually went as far as saying that they want to forbid FF car seats.

crunchierthanthou

They actually went as far as saying that they want to forbid FF car seats.

I do think that's a bit extreme. That erf is safer is an easy conclusion and I agree completely. However, I don't agree that a properly used ff 5 pt harness is categorically unsafe. Some of the severe injuries and deaths involved gross misuse and may have still been survivable ff with a proper harness. Consider the child in the OHS with the harness in the lowest (and unreinforced slots), the child in a shield booster or the one in the Dorel HBB with a poor seatbelt fit. In fact, there are very few instances in the crash data of correct ff harness usage. Not to detract from the findings of the study (because I am a proponent of erf), but all of the children are under age 4 and a properly used 5 pt harness could have changed the outcome in any of those.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm surprised a few of the car seats manufacturers in these studies haven't been sued out of existence, that's for sure :eek:
And also glad for boosters expiring after 6 years... even a couple models of those (again, I'm surprised they are still on the market at all...) have been vastly improved, and if the old ones could keep on being used, kids would NOT be optimally protected.
Sure wish top tethering were mandatory...

serabi

If I was the parent of the child in the Century booster, I'd probably sue after I'd been educated on what happened. :(

/so thankful she will never think a booster at 3 is acceptable

CRS

Senior Community Member
I do think that's a bit extreme. That erf is safer is an easy conclusion and I agree completely. However, I don't agree that a properly used ff 5 pt harness is categorically unsafe. Some of the severe injuries and deaths involved gross misuse and may have still been survivable ff with a proper harness. Consider the child in the OHS with the harness in the lowest (and unreinforced slots), the child in a shield booster or the one in the Dorel HBB with a poor seatbelt fit. In fact, there are very few instances in the crash data of correct ff harness usage. Not to detract from the findings of the study (because I am a proponent of erf), but all of the children are under age 4 and a properly used 5 pt harness could have changed the outcome in any of those.

I think they were talking about "forbidding" FF seats in Group 1. Which means no FF seats approved for 9+ month olds.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe we should all PM Adventuredad, he's not been around for awhile, but he DID offer to send us all giant RF Swedish seats when he WAS here... ;)

Mama!

I know. I was trying to figure up how much it'd cost to get one through him. He has a business which helps him somehow get the seats and with the fees.

Lara

it also helps that you could get the tax back. Its ridiculous...like 15 or 20% sales tax.

www.globalrefund.com has a lot of info on it. It saved me $45.

Not that I'm advocating importing illegal seats or anything ;)

Mama! if you come visit me, you can play with the TW. It may stop your envy of that particular seat for a few minutes at least. its a PITA to install! lol

keri1292

Wow! I just finished it. Whew, that's just overwhelming.

My questions, they kept referring to the fact that seats aren't allowed to be installed with a lapbelt only in Europe? Is that because they route the shoulderbelt behind the seat? :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC