How long will you RF??

Mommy2Marcus

Hiya! I was just wondering if anyone had a cutoff age for RF? I will keep Marcus RF for as long as I can, but IF he is still RF at age 3 then I will turn him even if he is able to RF longer. That is what DH & I agreed to as of right now. He will be 2 in 3 1/2 months so that might change between now & then. I am hoping to make it till 3, but will be happy even if we only make it till 2 1/2. Anyhow....I was wonder if anyone else had a RF age limit?

Mine is more DH than me, but I think that after 3 they are fine FF, so I will not feel guilty turning him FF even if he can still RF...at least I do not think I will feel bad.

I am just happy that I got DH to agree to it till 3! He still has tons of room & alot of weight in all of his seats, so I can bet he will make 3!

ADS

BW1426

I'll keep the little guy I watch RF until 2 at a minimum (unless he gains like 6 pounds in a short period of time).

I'll try to keep him RF longer, but I'm going away to school and am worried that it may be a struggle to convert him back to RF after being FF with everyone else for those months.

If it never turns into a huge power struggle, I'll keep him RF as long as possible.

MsFacetious

Ali was 4 and Sadi was 3. Limits of the seat.

Any future kids will be RF until the limits of the seat. My boyfriend lost his first love and baby to a car accident...he will not tolerate anything less than THE safest option. I won't have to worry about compromising with him over turning them or anything. He was more upset than *I* was when the girls had to be turned around!

However, in general after age 3 I wouldn't make a huge issue out of it.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
DD1 turned FF about a month ago (she will be 3 in a week). I am fine with her FF at this point. She could FF for another 4-5 pounds since she is only 30-31 pounds right now.

DD2 is only 16 months and 18 pounds 10 ounces so we have a loooong way to go RF! I will probably turn her FF at around 3 as well.

PixieEMT

I hope my DS makes it to 2y/o in September RF. :eek: We should.....*gulp...make it to at least 2 1/2 y/o. :eek: He's 30lbs, 36" standing, 11.5torso, with plenty of room above his head in both the MA and BLVD.
He only gained 2-3 lbs in the last 7 months.

Here's a pic of how much room above his head in the BLVD.

06222008107.jpg

MOM25BOYS

Same here.:thumbsup: I am "hoping" to make it until atleast 2.5 with DS4. Right now he is a solid 29lbs and won't be 2 until September. DH thinks I should turn him at 2 and I am trying hard to stand my ground that he doesn't turn until he reaches 32-33lbs.:) He is going through a growth spurt right now and gained like 3-4lbs in just 3 months sooooo here's to hoping we make it......:whistle::D

catsmom

I think I will be OK with FF if she's 2 AND 25 pounds. She was only 18 lb 2 oz at her 15 month check up. At this rate, she'll be closer to 3 when she FF since that is when I anticipate her hitting 25 pounds.

mum2two

DD went until 3 1/3 and 33 pounds....I hate turning her!! She's a terrible backseat driver...DS is 28months and 28 pounds..he'll stay until the limits of his seat..33 pounds.:)

christineka

For dd to the limit of the seat or when she begs to be turned around. She's 3.5 years old.

For future kiddos: to the limit of the seat or after 3 when they beg to be turned around.

So far my dd loves being able to see her siblings and out the window. She forward faced for a year. She likes rear-facing much better.

emars002

I think i will do limits of my older MA - which is 33 lbs - even though the BLVD is 35 - we use both cars often - I don't know if DD2 could handle RF in the 35# seat and the FF in the 33# seat every other day - hopefully she will be at least 2 by then but she is a chunker!

crunchierthanthou

I think it just depends on the individual situation. I never expected to have ds still rf at 3.5. We thought 2.5 max, because our car can't handle more than 1 rf seat. Things didn't work out like we thought and he's still under the weight limit. He doesn't seem to mind, and it works for us so I'm in no rush. Right now, we're aiming for age 4, but he's been growing fairly quickly.

Any future kids will probably the same way. Do whatever you need to make it work at least through age 2 and then aim for the limits of the seat.

elle7715

DD is 3 1/2 and 30 lbs, DS is 16 months and 22 lbs. They are both rearfacing and will be as long as they can. DD is forward facing in my mom's van because my mom can't lift her into a RF seat (among other issues). DS doesn't go anywhere alone with grandma and is lighter anyway so his seat won't be an issue for at least 6 more months. But other than that, I'll wait until they hit the weight limit. DD will be 4 right before Christmas and with boots, full stomach, etc I think we'll hit the weight limit before then. We'll see though. She gains weight really slowly.

seamonkeys

I'm playing it by hear, but will try to go to the seat limit (33 lbs). Especially since I didn't with DS1! If DS2 keeps on the same growing rate as DS1, then that will be about age 3 yrs!

I find it odd to hear people talk about their DH wanting to turn them around, or have any other issues with their wife's car seat choices. My DH just goes with what I say/do. He's never questioned any of my decisions. But maybe he feels like I'm more of the expert since he was never around babies/small kids before he met me. Sorry to side track there! :whistle:

mimieliza

I'll keep DD RFing until the limits of the seat if I can. However, she has developed a problem with carsickness - if this continues and/or gets worse, I will probably turn her around at age 2.

Right now the carsickness has been only during long trips on very windy roads, so I hope she'll still be okay most of the time.

April

Next baby, likely to the limits of a True Fit since it has the highest limit in Canada, and there's a good chance we'll be TTC before the end of the year.

TXAggieTech

Limits of the seat. DS RF'd until 4.5. If the MA I ordered during the Feb sale had been 35lbs we could have made it to 5.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC