What install with seatbelt and latch-Says Tech at my firestation! VENT! NEED HELP!

So, I have determined the 2 firestations by my house no nothing! UGHH!! no wonder no one properly does the carseats here.

Here is my issue(This may be long, sorry).

I went to get help on installing my frontier with seatbelt(because my son is 47.6 pounds and I needed latch removed and seatbelt on).
Well...............so, they were having a carseat check at the local firestation this past saturday. I stopped in.

Tech: what are you here for? Your seats are solid?(After not even getting in my car to really check them-I had 4 seats in there).

ME: I need latch taken off and for you to teach me how to use the seatbelt with this seat, I can't seem to get it solid.

TECH: You don't need the seatbelt-Latch is fine.

ME: No, the latch limit is 48 pounds in my van(Kia sedona 2007)

Tech: No, I have never heard of such a thing and I just took the class.

ME: Really, where?

Tech: Seriously, it makes no sense! There are no limits on the seatbelt.

ME: Check the manuals in my car and the seat(handed him both pointed out the page).

Tech: I never heard of such a thing, it makes no sense!

Tech: Also, using latch and seatbelt will make it more secure, trust me I see things in accidents.

ME: Well, I guess you don't know your stuff then :whistle:

Tech: well, your son needs to be switched to booster mode on this seat at 5 1/2 he is too big for the harness, it only goes to 40 pounds :mad:

ME: No, it goes to 80-read the manual and boosters are way safter. Have you heard of Kyle miller or even seen crash videos?

Tech: Well, he should be in a booster at 3 years and 40 pounds.

ME: WOW! JUST WOW! Are you seriously a tech? Let me see your supervisor?

Tech: He is out for lunch!

ME: WHAT?

TECH: Come here tell me she is wrong(asking another tech)

Other tech: Nope, she is right on you don't use seatbelt and latch at the same time, but he should be in a booster!

ME: Well, I am leaving, you guys are making me so mad, you don't know a thing.

TECH: Fine, I will put it with a seatbelt.

ME: DRIVES AWAY AFTER THEY DO THAT>

OH and they never checked for expiration dates on any of my seats.

So, for an hour this STUPID IDIOT(Sorry) was installing seats with latch and seatbelt????? UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Who do I call and complain too? I also want to complain about the last seat check at my other firestation(2 towns are right next to each other-I am in one town, but my side of town uses the other towns firestations)!

I am irate! My friend also went to have her regent checked out(put on seatbelt) and they did it wrong! I had to fix it today!

ADS

PixieEMT

Did you ask to see their tech cards or cert #. I keep mine on a handy little laynard necklace when I do classes, fairs, checks.

Wow.....simply wow!:mad:

:soapbox:

Maybe you should gather up some info from people around here to take back to that FD or their supervisor!
Start with cpsafety.com brochures. Maybe some stuff from Kyle David Miller Foundation. I know someone around here made a nice HWH seat brochure. (Can't remember who though?) The guy at my station makes copies for me where he works, it is an awesome brochure.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Zoiks!!! Good for you for standing up to them and calling them out for giving you wrong info.

Did you get the seat installed? You might be better off just watching Heather's Regent install videos.

Yup, the other tech installed it with no problems! I saw how he did it and redid it myself when I got home and I could do it! YAY!

So, who do I call safe kids? I will bombard them with carseat fliers! LOL! Tomorrow is my day off, I am going to bring some up there !:whistle:

mish

That is really bad. I can see not knowing your seat harnesses to 80 pounds without looking at the stickers because that is uncommon, but the rest? I seriously cannot believe a tech would tell you to use the seatbelt and LATCH? I have to wonder if he is even a tech. He said he was trained recently. I wonder if that was a 4 or 8 hour training, not really a tech course. Did he have you fill out a form? That is just crazy. You definitely need to report him to someone if he is for sure a tech. If he's not, he shouldn't be checking seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC