CPS tech intro

craig3612

Hi all. I've been a registered CPS tech since June, but admittedly haven't been as active in the CPS community as I should be. My wife (rachel3612) has been here for years, and I decided today to climb on board.

As far as who I am: I took the class to be certified after my wife had been a tech for several years. People who knew me would come to me to ask carseat questions anyway, and I always felt uncormfortable answering them w/o any formal training to back me up. It turns out that they didn't really want to hear the real answers anyway, even if I get them right.

ADS

scatterbunny

craig3612 said:
People who knew me would come to me to ask carseat questions anyway, and I always felt uncormfortable answering them w/o any formal training to back me up. It turns out that they didn't really want to hear the real answers anyway, even if I get them right.

That's the reason I decided to get certified, too. I'm admittedly a carseat nut, became one when my dd outgrew her convertible seat at 2.5 years old by height and I didn't have a clue what to do. I discovered this board, the Ivillage carseat board and the BabyCenter Car Safety Tips board and learned so much that I couldn't help but share it with people I knew. I felt like I would be taken more seriously if I had training to back up my knowledge. I start the 32 hour class day after tomorrow.

Welcome to the board!

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
I think he just took it because it bugged him that I knew more about something than him. ;)

Rachel

skaterbabs

roflol whatever it takes, right? ;) My dh won't install anything other than the boys' boosters unless he has absolutely no choice. In fact, he had to install our FPSE a few weeks ago and when he caught up with me his first words were "you'll probably want to fix it." It was fine, but I did tighten it a little more. hehehe
He didn't know the trick of using the recline adjustments on the power seat to make it tighter, but he had it within 1".

craig3612

scatterbunny said:
I'm admittedly a carseat nut, became one when my dd outgrew her convertible seat at 2.5 years old by height and I didn't have a clue what to do.

I'm admittedly not a carseat nut... In fact, I was mostly annoyed when Rachel started spending all her free time researching carseats because every day I'd come home from work there'd be another car seat to go look at, and dear God I was bored to tears every time we walked into Babies R Us.

I think the turning point for me was one day I realized that Rachel knew more about something than I did :)

Ok, so not really. Actually, I saw one of those datelines or 60 minutes or something that showed a woman testifying before congress about the death of her child, requesting that something be done to prevent it in the future. I'm actually somewhat against legislation because I'm not sure it can do much good, but it did spark enough interest that I started paying attention to what Rachel was talking about, and then eventually I felt pretty confident in my ability to install a seat, and then it just followed that since I'm against legislating carseat use, I should contribute to a non-legislative solution and get certified so that I could at least educate people.

I've talked to the local Safe Kids rep for our area and if all goes as expected I'll be helping him teach a class that the state sends people to if they get ticketed for not using car seats. Hopefully as public awareness rises, there will be fewer and fewer parents on TV lamenting the fact that they didn't know they were doing everything wrong.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks!

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi Craig Welcome! I am also a tech and drive my husband crazy with my endless car seat purchases as well. I probably should be in car seats annonymous if it only existed in real life :)

I know Rachel from another board, I think it's great that you are both techs...you are only the 2nd couple I know who are both techs!

Jodi, CPST Mom to 4 soon 5

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC