Narrow high-back boosters?

Gsanmb

I need to figure out what narrow high-back boosters are available. I am going to be driving carpool next September and will put a Radian (probably) in the middle position of the 3rd row of my '01 Venture (lap belt); I need two boosters for the outboard spots (6 year olds).

ADS

TerisBoys

Parkway or FP Safe Voyage booster would both work for 6yo's.

FP is available at albeebaby.com for under $40. It's REALLY narrow (like, 13" when the base is at it's slimmest).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The FPSVbooster is based on the old Britax Starriser Comfy ("SRC") . . . I had the SRC & Parkway: my kiddo's older half-sis could barely fit into the SRC on its narrowest setting & it was more difficult for either of us to buckle it in tight squeezes :eek: The Parkway fit her better longer & was easier for us to buckle :twocents: However, the Parkway cannot be used backless if necessary for travel & I think the Parkway's seat depth is shallower, so we kept an old comforter on the floor for bunching up as a foot rest.

Gsanmb

I don't care about using it backless really; is the Parkway the same width as the SRC? (bearing in mind however that these would only be for carpool and not used as regular boosters; my only kid in a booster has a Compass B510 which I would put back in for my own family trips.)

melniemi

I have an 02 Venture and didn't manage to get a good radian install in the third row. Some here have, though. Could've been my leather seats???

Anyway, I can fit 2 Turbos and a Keyfit w/base in the third row. I want to try 2 parkways and a marathon (rfing and ffing) but want to wait until I "need" to move the regents since I don't feel like taking them out if I don't have to.

But....if you need someone to try to fit a marathon and parkways, I will go try for you:love: Just let me know. I know a marathon isn't a radian, but I would think if I could fit them, a radian would work as well. I also have a Cargo I could try. I returned the radian after fighting with it in every position in my third row for a few hours - and bought regents instead.

Gsanmb

I have an Ultra Cargo, so if you have one and can try it with a couple Parkways that would be sweet. Thank you so much! I have no need of anything RF though.

My seats are fabric not leather so that might make things a little easier for me in the way of non-slippage. But it's good to know that getting a good install on the Radian is hard. If the Cargo works with the PW's or SRC or even two TB's (which I can probably get my hands on if I collect all my parents' extras) then that would be the best because I wouldn't have to buy a Radian.

Thanks for your help, let me know if it works!

April

I have a Turbo/Radian/Parkway in the back of DH's Dodge Dakota pickup and the PW side is WAY easier to buckle because of the no armrests.

melniemi

Well, I played for a couple of hours.

And...I could not fit the cargo with parkways or turbos. There just wasn't enough room to wedge either in there.

I could fit the marathon ffing in the center with either parkways or turbos. It was very tight and I could barely manage to buckle the boosters, but I could do it. I only have 1 turbo so I had to try it on either side separately. I think the high, but small base of the marathon made it work. That is one small back seat. I sure wouldn't want to have to buckle those boosters on a regular basis, though. I have fairly small hands and it was not easy. I had to put the boosters (both) in at kind of an angle to make them fit, but they did fit. They sat flat on the seat after I got them in place, just put at an angle to get them in place!

Here are pics for the carseat obsessed among us:whistle:

100_7045.jpg

100_7046.jpg

100_7047.jpg

100_7048.jpg

100_7049.jpg

And for fun, my matching cows. But my 4 yo has been asking for her pink one since I switched covers a week ago.:(
100_7050.jpg

Hope that helps!!

Gsanmb

tHat helps a lot thanks.

However the MA won't really help me since my kids have outgrown it by height. The Radian and Cargo for some reason have more room in the torso for either one of them that will ride in that seat for the carpool. It's just one or possibly two days a week but I need to find some combo that will work there.

It does look like the parkways are a good fit though regardless. I'll have to play around a bit. If anyone has any more info then let me know, thanks so much!

Gsanmb

I just had an idea...

Would a Ridersafe travel vest work in a lap-belt only position? Can I leave the vest buckled into the car and then just get the carpool kid into the vest? Or does it have to be put on before getting in the car?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
With a lap-only belt, the Ride Safer Travel Vest requires a top-tether, and I think there's a lower weight with that type of install (not sure about that last part, though.)

Yes, you could leave it "installed" in the vehicle and then just put the child in. You'd have to do it, though - it's really too complicated for kids to do themselves. (And really, you should be double-checking any child's self-buckling, whether it's a booster, harnessed carseat, or vest.)

Gsanmb

Top tether, check. Got that.

OF course I ALWAYS check everyone's seat belt and usually redo it myself. No problem on getting them in; I'd have to do it anyway with a 5 pt harness seat. Probably what I'll do is put my own kid in that position first and everyone else around him/her so that I don't have to fiddle in the middle (ha! :p) while running carpool.

Sounds like it's worth a shot in any case. Plus then we'd have it for travel if needed and I don't have to spend a fortune on new seats/boosters.

OUt of curiosity, what's the difference between the Ride Safer vest and the 86Y booster harness?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
OUt of curiosity, what's the difference between the Ride Safer vest and the 86Y booster harness?

RSTV positions the lap-only or lap/shoulder belt properly on the body & the crash forces are distributed over a broader area of the body . . . 86Y requires a booster if kiddo doesn't pass the 5 Step Test (highback if the top of kiddo's ears are above the vehicle seatback) & becomes a 4point: smaller kids could possibly submarine out of the 86Y easier? Don't know for sure because we don't have specific crash data of misuse with these items....

I prefer the RSTV for my child, but it's worrisome when the vehicle has short seatbacks. I myself have enjoyed riding in the 86Y with a lap-only belt (there's more potential for misuse when using the 86Y with a lap/shoulder belt).

RSTV does feel hotter than the 86Y, but fits better in tight squeezes.

Defrost

86Y requires a booster if kiddo doesn't pass the 5 Step Test (highback if the top of kiddo's ears are above the vehicle seatback) & becomes a 4point: smaller kids could possibly submarine out of the 86Y easier? Don't know for sure because we don't have specific crash data of misuse with these items....

Couple clarifications: 86Y requires booster for children under 65lbs, and I'd definitely recommend a booster for any child over that weight who could still fit in one.

Also, it's always a 4-point harness; some of the other EZ-On vests have crotch straps, but not the 86Y. :)

Gsanmb

Ah, okay. Just looked at the website for it and realized what it is and also that it requires drilling. Yipes!

I think the vest will be a better option. :eek:

Defrost

I thought this was only with the heavy duty top anchor for higher weight occupants (& if I remember correctly, 86Y fits up to 168 pounds)

Yes, that's true, but I always bring it up because it'll need to be done eventually. I know if it were me, I'd wind up putting it off "until the kids were closer to that weight." And with this being a carpooling situation, there's always the chance of a situation coming up where you're transporting a different child that is over the TA's weight limit, but forgetting about it, because you'd already "fixed" that lap-only belt, yk?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC