Kids on Planes - Need links please!

kamesq

Please give me the links of some video or text I can give to this guy who doesn't think an infant needs his own seat on a plane!

"I guess I’m a little minimalist when it comes to airlines.
#1 the kids don’t fly very often, so the risk of something happening is lowered.
#2 There are very few plane crashes anyways, its much safer than a car or certainly a NY taxi.
#3 When they do crash usually everyone dies anyways so why worry about it.
#4 Turbulence violent enough to cause injury is rare and a lap belt, or the firm hold of a lap child’s parent, is more than enough to keep a kid from floating out of his seat."

UGH!!!!

ADS

Qarin

#3 When they do crash usually everyone dies anyways so why worry about it.

I am under the impression that this is a total myth, but am unable to really dig up the statistics now- does anyone know where I might look? It seems to me there are quite a lot of ground and near ground accidents where very few people are seriously injured, but which would be exactly the sort of sudden-stop where an infant in arms would be at grave risk.

OK, Wikipedia gives some hints: in 2007 there were 136 "accidents" involving planes capable of carrying 6 or more people, and 965 deaths. That's 7.1 deaths per accident, which suggests strongly to me that not everyone died in each of those accidents.

Another Wikipedia article has a list of accidents involving commercial aircraft by year- it's pretty interesting reading! There is only one accident which mentions infants or children- in 1970, "May 2 – ALM Flight 980, a Douglas DC-9 operated by Overseas National Airways, ditches near St. Croix, Virgin Islands, killing 23 including 2 infants and 1 crew member; 40 including 4 crew members survive". Anyway, certainly many have "all died", but also many do have survivors.

This is all great stuff for someone to read the morning she's getting on a plane with her two kids in the afternoon. :-?

BeckC

Ask him if he would smack his kid's head against a wall for no reason.

I just flew a few days ago. The turbulence wasn't awful, but it was pretty bumpy on 2 of the 4 flights. A woman in the row in front of me and across the aisle was holding a lap baby, around a year old (give or take a few months). She had a pretty good hold on him but we hit a particularly hard bump and his head smacked against the window. No, he didn't die. But he did have a pretty good egg on his head and he screamed his poor little head off. I don't think it's worth the money saved on an extra seat to bang a baby's head on a wall. :mad:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Turbulence

I saw a baby fall out of her mother's grasp onto the floor & another passenger accidentally stepped on her li'l arm.... I also saw a baby slip & get stuck between the seat & wall: got cut a little being yanked out :(

P.S. wikipedia can be re-written by pretty much anyone (some local homeschool teens here like to mess with people by altering information :twocents:) so my college doesn't allow it as a cite source.

Qarin

Re: Turbulence

P.S. wikipedia can be re-written by pretty much anyone (some local homeschool teens here like to mess with people by altering information :twocents:) so my college doesn't allow it as a cite source.

Absolutely true, though the pages I linked to cited and linked to better (real) sources, and the fundamental information is very true, that plane crashes are survivable, which makes properly securing passengers actually important.

I was happy when I got on the plane on Monday and saw the family next to us had their baby in a carseat! A sit-n-stroll. Well, happy, until right about as I wondered if they'd installed it well and decided heck, a lap belt makes for easy peasy installation... they turned the seat so it sat at a 45° angle (it'd been forward facing, now it was... front-left facing) so they could see the baby better (or something). Holy heck, they hadn't actually installed it at ALL. I... didn't say anything. What do you say? The baby was really unhappy, and the parents didn't really want to make eye-contact. And then on descent? Yeah, they took him out complete and held him for landing. The flight attendants didn't care at all about that when they went through for their final check.

I hate flying.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC