Link to find state's car seat laws?

Tara

I have a couple but they're just charts, very simple. I know there's more to it than that. Where can I find it?

I'm looking for KY in particular, but a main link would be nice to so I have that for reference when speaking to others online ;)

ADS

menfusse

I don't know any links, but I did find a map somewhere that listed all the states laws, I am in ky also. As of now we have pathetic laws. The basic law is 40 inches tall and they can ride in a seat belt. That is it. There have proposed new ones, and I heard at one point that it was going to pass, but I don't know when or if that will be. I think, but don't quote me on this, that they were following VA's lead and going for the age 6 in an appropriate seat, whether that be booster or harnessed, they have to be in a seat until age 6. VA might actually be 5, but I think I heard 6 for KY. Have you heard about this?

menfusse

http://www.inventiveparent.com/lawsreg4.htm#Kentucky try this link. Apparently the booster seat law is in effect now and it is 8 years old...I am rather impressed with that, considering how late we got on the band wagon. This is the law as it reads in the statutes. It also says, that failure to use a seat is not considered neglegence in anyway, and that the police can not stop you if the child is not in a seat, only cite you if they stop you for another reason. LAME! That is no motivation to get parents to buckle their kids up right. I still see people around here with there babies in their laps! Makes me want to stop them and ring their necks!

Tara

The last I heard was 8 and under in a booster.
I think that was just last year. That's what I was wanting to double check too. That that law is in fact in effect. I'm pretty sure it IS,that I saw it on those overhead message signs. But I could be imagining things too hehe

All the other sites I've seen, the 2 charts I mentioned, all say the 4yr/40" thing.

I have all my kids restrained beyond KY's minimum, I'm certain of that LOL I just want to be up to date on what they ARE requiring. As well as have the link to other states for reference. ;)

If you come across anything else, let me know ok?

BTW, whereabouts in KY are you? Just curious :) We're in Louisville (again).

Tara

Oh cool thanks...posting at the same time here...I'll check that out.

Yeah, I thought the under 8 in a booster was pretty impressive too. I do wish they were more stringent about it, I've seen unrestrained/poorly restrained kids too Ugh!

Thanks again for the link, off to see :)

menfusse

I am in Hazard...I know you are impressed. LOL!! Just kidding. I have my 4 year old harnessed in the radian, and I plan to keep her that way until she grows out of it, then she goes to a booster. Same for my 3 month old, although I have a while to worry about booster for her. Anyway, I have family in Louisville, well actually Shepardsville. But who has heard of that, you know?

Tara

hehe Right 'uh, I think I saw a sign once...maybe'

We're here for the second time. Once 6 years ago, only for a few months. Then now we've been here since Dec. From Dry Ridge (heard of that one?) hehe Where nobody even knows what a seat belt is for, let alone a carseat ;)

menfusse

Pass through on my way to OH...little outlet mall or something right? Hazard is pretty good size now...definatley bigger than dry ridge. We still have our fair share of idiots when it comes to car seats, but I still get surprised by how may boosters I see. Good luck with moving back. I have to say, I am not too crazy about louisville, of course i am not too crazy about hazard either, but I have been here all of my life and I am use to it. I have family in Seymour, IN too, so I pass through on my way there. I get around in case you didn't notice.

Tara

Yup, that's it.
I did see a bit more/better car seat/booster usage just north in Florence ("town" for dry ridge folk). But they're not too savvy themselves. At least here I'm in a town that has a big store that carries Britax LOL And .. oo oo and for the first time EVER I saw a Britax in someone's vehicle ;)

U

Unregistered

I just checked out that link for my state va and states we travel in - thanks. I plan on keeping my son in his husky til high school graduation (lol) or he actually outgrows it! I was really blown away by some of the wording - some of the states were worded like all children over 20 lbs must be ff, wv starts out with age 9, then says if over 40 and 4 seat belt will count - fine not to exceed $20. I also noted that in many states you are exempt from the requirements if you have more people then seating spaces - what? In NC you are exempt from the law if intended to children's personal needs - what? I also noticed that in most states you had to be commiting some other offense to be pulled over for the carseat - this is so sadd.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC