Question tether anchor in '00 Nissan Frontier/twisted seatbelt

littleangelfire

Hey all - I'd like my son to be able to go places on occasion with my stepdad. Though I HATE that he only owns a small truck (His Frontier is just the regular cab) I have to weight that against the fact that my child really needs to spend some one-on-one time with a guy. I plan to try and make sure either my car or my mom's is here instead, but it won't always work that way.

anyways, I put the Regent in there yesterday - it fits and all. Installed pretty easily, but where on earth is the tether anchor? Or does it not have one since its only a front seat?

Also, on a completely different subject, the seatbelt on the passenger side is twisted. Seems like I saw a thread on this a while back, but I couldn't locate it. I don't have a clue how it got that way or how long its been that way, but its twisted! Does it have to be taken to the dealer to fix?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
According to the LATCH manual, the '00 Nissan Frontier does not have factory equipped top tether anchors, but you can add 2 tether anchors for the passenger and center seating positions. The Nissan part number is 88894-89900 at approx. $15 per part, and there are two 8mm weld nuts under the Frontier's rear window. Nissan unfortunately doesn't have a free tether anchor retrofit program but you might be able to install it yourself after purchasing the part. Also, before anyone asks about it, the LATCH manual also indicates the passenger airbag has an on/off switch. :)

You can probably fix the twist by folding the seatbelt over in the opposite direction of the twist and then sliding the latchplate over the fold to remove the twist. Sometimes this will take some trial and error to untwist the seatbelt. When our seatbelts get twisted, I almost inevitably put another twist in the seatbelt before I can figure out which way to untwist it :eek:. You could take the car into the dealership to have a service technician remedy the twist, but they're likely to charge you for labor (ouch, spendy) unless you have an extended warranty and/or if you can convince the dealership that essential safety equipment like seatbelts should be fixed without charge.

littleangelfire

According to the LATCH manual, the '00 Nissan Frontier does not have factory equipped top tether anchors, but you can add 2 tether anchors for the passenger and center seating positions. The Nissan part number is 88894-89900 at approx. $15 per part, and there are two 8mm weld nuts under the Frontier's rear window. Nissan unfortunately doesn't have a free tether anchor retrofit program but you might be able to install it yourself after purchasing the part. Also, before anyone asks about it, the LATCH manual also indicates the passenger airbag has an on/off switch. :)

You can probably fix the twist by folding the seatbelt over in the opposite direction of the twist and then sliding the latchplate over the fold to remove the twist. Sometimes this will take some trial and error to untwist the seatbelt. When our seatbelts get twisted, I almost inevitably put another twist in the seatbelt before I can figure out which way to untwist it :eek:. You could take the car into the dealership to have a service technician remedy the twist, but they're likely to charge you for labor (ouch, spendy) unless you have an extended warranty and/or if you can convince the dealership that essential safety equipment like seatbelts should be fixed without charge.

Thank you SO much! And yes, that was one of the few things my parents made sure of when he bought the truck - it has an airbag shutoff switch and since he rarely has any passengers and when he does its a child, its always off. I'll get into his truck again tonight and look there to see if I can install it myself or have him do it. My son's not yet 50lbs, so not required, but I'd prefer it especially in that tiny pickup.

littleangelfire

It worked! I couldn't figure out in my head how it worked, but I went out and did it and the twist is gone. Whoopee! Couldn't figure out where the tether is suppsoed to be installed though.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yayy, goodbye twist. :thumbsup: I'm sorry I don't have more specific info. about where the anchor points for retrofitting the top tether anchors are located in the truck. The LATCH manual info. posted above is all I got. :( I'm really guessing here, but there might be plastic plugs or covers over the anchor points, or they might be behind some carpeting/interior panel below the rear window. I don't know whether the owner's manual or technical repair manuals for the truck, such as these at http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/nissan-frontier/repair_manual.html, would have the info., but it's probably worth a look. The anchor point location info. may be included with the anchor part if you can prod a Nissan dealership to provide the instructions specifically for the Frontier pickup. :twocents:

Edited to add: Eureka! I found a blurb and diagram showing the anchor points in the online owner's manual for the 2000 Nissan Frontier: http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-manual/pdf/2000-Nissan-Frontier-Crew-Cab.pdf It's on page 54 of the .pdf file or page number 1-46 in the printed manual. I'm pasting the blurb here, but you'll have to look at the manual to see the diagram because I can't figure out how to include the diagram here.

Anchor point locations
Anchor points are located under the rear
window. The back panel carpet is perforated
to allow access to the anchor points.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC