Interesting (as in terrible) misuse this morning

NOAHSMOM

I have seen baby buckets used facing forward, kids helping their parents steer the car, and a child and adult sharing a seatbelt in the front seat before. But today as I was taking my son out of our car in the church parking lot a car went past slowly looking for a parking spot. An older woman was driving and a younger woman was in the front passanger holding a Discovery infant seat with an about four month old baby in it and the baby had only the top portion of the harness on her. The women were talking and looking at the baby who seemed content....so alas they were not navigating the busy parking lot carefully either. Did they even consider what would happen to the baby is they were to even be in a minor crash? I would have said something if I had seen them inside, but even though I was on the outlook for them I did not see them (as we go to a pretty large church).

ADS

laurenrachey

Mom probably picked up daughter and grandchild a few blocks away and they both thought, ahh why waste time installing this, we're only going a few blocks :thumbsdown:

Wife&MomX3

:(
I once saw somebody in a Target parking lot remove an infant carrier from the backseat of a car, that had just been set on the backseat sideways:eek:

featherhead

My husband saw a little two door car leaving the Walmart parking lot once, and he said there was an infant seat in the back seat, sideways.

mish

My husband pointed out someone doing the same thing the OP saw. He said, so if you put the baby in a car seat on your lap, does that make it safe? He was being sarcastic of course. Infant seats are so easy to install. Why wouldn't you take the time to do it.

My other thought about this is if you weren't planning on installing the seat, why bring it? I don't in any way mean that they shouldn't have, this just reminds me of the thread discussing travel systems and putting your kid in a car seat while going for a walk. I think the mom in the OP probably left the baby in the car seat a lot.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I don't in any way mean that they shouldn't have, this just reminds me of the thread discussing travel systems and putting your kid in a car seat while going for a walk. I think the mom in the OP probably left the baby in the car seat a lot.

I was thinking the same thing - It's the Magic Bubble Carseat! If it gets thrown through the windshield, it will magically protect the baby! If it gets hit by a deploying airbag, it will remain intact! If it smashes into the mom... well, at least the Magic Bubble will protect the baby, eh? :rolleyes:

laurenrachey

My other thought about this is if you weren't planning on installing the seat, why bring it?

So the baby will have somewhere to sit. :thumbsdown: I wish there was more to it, but I would guess that's it. Some people prefer to have an infant bucket so that they have somewhere to put the baby down instead of holding them all the time. :(

NOAHSMOM

The whole thing didn't make sense to me...perhaps if it had been a screaming newborn I would have seen the logic, but a happy 4ish month old? And not even buckled in. And an empty back seat. I'll keep my eyes open for them.....would be convient if they came to the nursery when I am volunteering....

Wife&MomX3

So the baby will have somewhere to sit. :thumbsdown: I wish there was more to it, but I would guess that's it. Some people prefer to have an infant bucket so that they have somewhere to put the baby down instead of holding them all the time. :(
I know some ppl probably just dont want to hold their baby. But as someone who has a few slings, and holds my babies plenty, I will still choose to leave baby in bucket in many out and about situations, especially if I have all 3 of my kids (under 3.5 yrs old) with me. Im very happy to have a safe, clean carseat for my newborn to stay sittin in on the stroller when I hafta take my older kids into a public bathroom. I really dont want my lil baby slung around me as I squat next to a public toilet holding up my toddler, then wiping their poop. Baby being able to stay under a blanket in her bucket up off the floor is much better, IMO :thumbsup:

jaded

My other thought about this is if you weren't planning on installing the seat, why bring it? I don't in any way mean that they shouldn't have, this just reminds me of the thread discussing travel systems and putting your kid in a car seat while going for a walk. I think the mom in the OP probably left the baby in the car seat a lot.

I did this once, I had my safe seat in the trunk of my car, so that I could put DS(who rides in a Radian in my vehicle, the SafeSeat is for DH's vehicle) in it while I had my 6 week check up with the midwife.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC