Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Interesting (as in terrible) misuse this morning

I have seen baby buckets used facing forward, kids helping their parents steer the car, and a child and adult sharing a seatbelt in the front seat before. But today as I was taking my son out of our car in the church parking lot a car went past slowly looking for a parking spot. An older woman was driving and a younger woman was in the front passanger holding a Discovery infant seat with an about four month old baby in it and the baby had only the top portion of the harness on her. The women were talking and looking at the baby who seemed content....so alas they were not navigating the busy parking lot carefully either. Did they even consider what would happen to the baby is they were to even be in a minor crash? I would have said something if I had seen them inside, but even though I was on the outlook for them I did not see them (as we go to a pretty large church).
    Erin, Mom to Noah
    8/03, 42# 46" riding in
    SK Montereys

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Interesting (as in terrible) misuse this morning

Mom probably picked up daughter and grandchild a few blocks away and they both thought, ahh why waste time installing this, we're only going a few blocks
    Rachel & Caleb 3.31.05 37 lbs FF in an FPSVD and/or a Regent

http://www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Carseat Crazy

I once saw somebody in a Target parking lot remove an infant carrier from the backseat of a car, that had just been set on the backseat sideways
    DS1:68# & 58", FF in Amp (passes 5 step in most cars) DD1:55# & 51", FF in Pkwy SGL
    DD2:50# & 48", FF in Radian DS2:38# & 40", FF in MA
    Rollin' safely in our Odyssey

My husband saw a little two door car leaving the Walmart parking lot once, and he said there was an infant seat in the back seat, sideways.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Ugh! That sort of thing is so frustrating and sad. I wish people would use child restraints properly.

My husband pointed out someone doing the same thing the OP saw. He said, so if you put the baby in a car seat on your lap, does that make it safe? He was being sarcastic of course. Infant seats are so easy to install. Why wouldn't you take the time to do it.

My other thought about this is if you weren't planning on installing the seat, why bring it? I don't in any way mean that they shouldn't have, this just reminds me of the thread discussing travel systems and putting your kid in a car seat while going for a walk. I think the mom in the OP probably left the baby in the car seat a lot.

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mish View Post
    I don't in any way mean that they shouldn't have, this just reminds me of the thread discussing travel systems and putting your kid in a car seat while going for a walk. I think the mom in the OP probably left the baby in the car seat a lot.
    I was thinking the same thing - It's the Magic Bubble Carseat! If it gets thrown through the windshield, it will magically protect the baby! If it gets hit by a deploying airbag, it will remain intact! If it smashes into the mom... well, at least the Magic Bubble will protect the baby, eh?
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

My other thought about this is if you weren't planning on installing the seat, why bring it?
    So the baby will have somewhere to sit. I wish there was more to it, but I would guess that's it. Some people prefer to have an infant bucket so that they have somewhere to put the baby down instead of holding them all the time.
    Rachel & Caleb 3.31.05 37 lbs FF in an FPSVD and/or a Regent

http://www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Carseat Crazy

The whole thing didn't make sense to me...perhaps if it had been a screaming newborn I would have seen the logic, but a happy 4ish month old? And not even buckled in. And an empty back seat. I'll keep my eyes open for them.....would be convient if they came to the nursery when I am volunteering....
    Erin, Mom to Noah
    8/03, 42# 46" riding in
    SK Montereys

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by laurenrachey View Post
    So the baby will have somewhere to sit. I wish there was more to it, but I would guess that's it. Some people prefer to have an infant bucket so that they have somewhere to put the baby down instead of holding them all the time.
    I know some ppl probably just dont want to hold their baby. But as someone who has a few slings, and holds my babies plenty, I will still choose to leave baby in bucket in many out and about situations, especially if I have all 3 of my kids (under 3.5 yrs old) with me. Im very happy to have a safe, clean carseat for my newborn to stay sittin in on the stroller when I hafta take my older kids into a public bathroom. I really dont want my lil baby slung around me as I squat next to a public toilet holding up my toddler, then wiping their poop. Baby being able to stay under a blanket in her bucket up off the floor is much better, IMO
    DS1:68# & 58", FF in Amp (passes 5 step in most cars) DD1:55# & 51", FF in Pkwy SGL
    DD2:50# & 48", FF in Radian DS2:38# & 40", FF in MA
    Rollin' safely in our Odyssey

Carseat Crazy

My other thought about this is if you weren't planning on installing the seat, why bring it? I don't in any way mean that they shouldn't have, this just reminds me of the thread discussing travel systems and putting your kid in a car seat while going for a walk. I think the mom in the OP probably left the baby in the car seat a lot.
    I did this once, I had my safe seat in the trunk of my car, so that I could put DS(who rides in a Radian in my vehicle, the SafeSeat is for DH's vehicle) in it while I had my 6 week check up with the midwife.