Question Musical Car Seats

kidzndogz

I need an opinion/insight here. I watch two kids, Ava is going to be 4 in August and Dean will be 1 in 2 weeks. Their family is awesome, I've been with them for almost 4 years and their mom is pretty good about listening to my car seat stuff.

(Not sure how updated my siggy is) but Dean is about 29lbs and Ava is 36lbs. Dean is ALL torso and completely *solid*. Like a baby version of a football player.

Dean was in an SS1 and Ava was in a RA in their mom's Murano. Ava was outgrowing the RA by height, so about 3 months ago I got her mom to buy her a Nautilus. Now Dean is in the RA rearfacing.

Problem is, we were talking about ERF last night and she said "doesn't he outgrow rear facing when his head is 1 inch from the top? Because he is very close, if not at that spot now". I checked, and she's right.

Her original plan was to keep Ava in the Nautilus for about 2 more years, then move her to a booster because she has been begging for a pink seat for *forever* and it's easy to get pink boosters. Or buy a pink Nautilus when it comes out, and save the gray one for Dean. Then Dean would go in the Nautilus when he's 2 or so, or whenever he can't RF. It's not working out that way because the RA isn't going to last him. I told her Britax finally came out with the Frontier that's in pink, and she was very interested. But she was going to put Dean in the Nautilus. I said that's not a good idea...he needs to ERF. She thought that since he outgrew his RA then she's out of ERF options. But they can only afford to really buy one seat right now, especially since they just bought the Nautilus. My solution was to buy the Frontier, put Ava in it, then they can borrow my MA (the kids each ride in one in my car) for Dean to RF in for another year or so, then put him in the Nautilus when he's older. I really don't think he'll make it to his 2nd b-day RFing...weight wise he's pretty close to the 33lb limit. And he's growing steadily.

Now there are two problems with this...one I just found the price on the Frontier and I'm not sure they can pay that, so this whole thing might be null. Also, I don't really want to give her my MA because then I won't have one in my car. She said she'd give me the RA to use FF with him because I only have him twice a week and we don't go out much. I'm not comfortable with that. I could sell it, then use the money to help fund an older MA from someone in swap I guess.

She could just buy him a seat like the MA or EFTA that will keep him RFing...but she will have to buy another seat after that for him, and I think she pretty much wants to be set after this and only have to buy boosters. And Ava still wants her pink seat. Any other ideas? I'm going to email her a link to the Frontier, so if I could throw any more solutions her way that will keep Dean RFing but only have her buy one seat, it would be great.

ADS

TerisBoys

If she buys a Frontier for A, could you swap her the MA you have in your car for the Nauti that she has? Use the Frontier/Nauti for A, and MA x2 for D?

kidzndogz

If she buys a Frontier for A, could you swap her the MA you have in your car for the Nauti that she has? Use the Frontier/Nauti for A, and MA x2 for D?

I :love: you. Why didn't I think of that????

Only downside: I just bought an Ashley Floral for A and it's coming in the mail and she's *super* excited. I love my MA's. :( Oh well.

TerisBoys

But if A is getting a pink Frontier - she'll still have a girly seat :)

And you could girly up the Nauti cover for her too (sew on patches that can be removed when D needs it).

Just explain that her bubby needs the MA's to be safe.

Mommy2Marcus

:yeahthat:

I think this is the best idea by far! This will work out to her only having to buy one seat & it will last her! Also.....didn't you just get a new MA? If so doesn't it have the 35lb RF limit? If so then give the mom the 35lb one & keep the 33lbs one. When he outgrows the RF, you could always trade her back & get your newer seat back. Does that make since?

kidzndogz

:yeahthat:

I think this is the best idea by far! This will work out to her only having to buy one seat & it will last her! Also.....didn't you just get a new MA? If so doesn't it have the 35lb RF limit? If so then give the mom the 35lb one & keep the 33lbs one. When he outgrows the RF, you could always trade her back & get your newer seat back. Does that make since?

Duh, I did just get a new seat. What's wrong with me today? lol. Next time I'll make sure my brain is functioning before making you guys read such a long post. :rolleyes:

Mommy2Marcus

LOL! It's okay! That is what we are here for isn't it? To help other when their brains are not properly working! I am glad that I was thinking! YAY for a good solution! I am glad that I was helpful!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC