How many car seats are thrown away each year?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm in the very early stages of trying to set up a car seat recycling program in my area. I'd like to give some solid numbers about "car seat waste," but...I don't have any.

Has anyone run across an estimate of how many car seats are thrown away in the US each year? Does anyone have numbers for their particular city/state/program, etc?

I think any numbers will help--even if it's just the number of seats thrown away after seat check events. How many seats did YOUR organization toss last year?

I'm grasping at straws here, I know :p

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
In my experience, none. Every broken, old, dangerous car seat in the world is for sale down at the local swap meet.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
At our hospital (about 40 beds for which car seats are checked..long story), I throw away about 10 a year. HTH!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My sister would love you for trying to set up a recycling program. She is SO upset about the number of seats that get thrown away instead of being recycled.

momofmany

IS there a way to recycle them? I will be retiring 3 or 4 very shortly, and would love to recycle them if possible.

PixieEMT

What types of plastics are they usually made of ? We only recycle types 1 and 2 near me.

I'm assuming you would have to remove the covers and straps and just recycle the shell?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I think I got 6 a month to throw away. That includes a car seat clinic a month. I am now recycling them.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks, folks. Keep the numbers coming. ANY numbers you can give me will help.

IS there a way to recycle them? I will be retiring 3 or 4 very shortly, and would love to recycle them if possible.

I came across links recently to programs in Colorado and Portland. (I think a couple of the people here take advantage of the Portland program.) It seems like the main issue is finding someone willing to disassemble the seats to separate the recyclable parts (metal, and, apparently, #5 plastic).

bethng

My instructor said that we had a recycle program here in the seattle/tacoma area. I forget the details. But I will ask her about it.

sunnymw

I would totally enjoy disassembling/destroying and sorting! That is totally my personality!!

(Anyone in Southwest GA wanna do all the rest? LOL)

sb518

Maybe post a poll in a new thread and ask the people here. That can be your statistic. "Out of 40 people asked, the average amount of carseats thrown out in the last year was 3 seats per person." :ROTFLMAO:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC