What is the deal with the recaro young seat (Start)

my2kidsSafe

I was just glancing online at sears and they had it for 349, but it looks like it is just a booster. Being a carseat freak myself, i can see myself spending that sort of money on a 5 point harness that turns into a booster, but for just a booster. Is there something i am missing? TIA

ADS

BW1426

Re: What is the deal with the recaro young seat

The Recaro Young Start booster NEVER expires :D

my2kidsSafe

great concept, but how is that possibly, if all plastic deteriorates over time?

scatterbunny

I'm guessing you mean the Recaro Young Start, because of the price mentioned. There's also the Recaro Young Sport and Young Style.

Why is the Start so spendy? It has no expiration date. It has an aluminum frame. It is the most adjustable booster on the market, since it not only adjusts heightwise, but the torso wing width and seat depth are adjustable, as well. The seat depth adjustment is worth its weight in gold, IMO. :p My dd has quit using a number of boosters she still technically fits in because they don't support her long legs well enough. The Start feels like a high-quality upholstered recliner or luxury vehicle seat. No plasticky parts or flimsy-feeling pieces, it's solid, soft and cushy. The seating area is angled in a way that I think makes it very comfortable (the Clek Olli's seat is shaped similar) and supportive. It has optional shoulderbelt lockoffs that make it a bit more secure (similar to locking the shoulderbelt in vehicles equipped with ALR). It top-tethers. It adjusts very tall, but it has an 80 pound weight limit. So, all in all, I think it's a fantastic seat. Worth $350? That's all a matter of opinion. :D They're on sale certain places right now for around $280.

my2kidsSafe

thanks for all that info. I could not see paying that much for a regular booster. I am hoping my dd, who is a peanut, and short, can stay harnessed long enough to not even have to worry about that.

my2kidsSafe

well we are on topic, I am not arguing just curious at this point, pp mentioned that its made of aluminum. If they can do that, and it not expire why hasn't carseat manufacturers jumped on board here.

Maggie

My (very uneducated) guess would be that it costs more to make a carseat with an aluminum frame (hence the $ for the Young Sport).

It's just not a practical idea to make all carseats so expensive that many people can't afford them. That's just asking for more nonuse of seats IMO. If all seats were made with an aluminum frame and were as expensive as the Young Sport, I can see many parents going without a seat or using an old/expired seat b/c they can't afford it. Just my two cents. :)

BW1426

well we are on topic, I am not arguing just curious at this point, pp mentioned that its made of aluminum. If they can do that, and it not expire why hasn't carseat manufacturers jumped on board here.

There are more pieces of a harnessed seat to deteriorate. The harness, the chest clip, the buckles, etc. I also think it would be difficult to make a shell entirely out of metal with belt paths in it. Even if they could make the entire shell out of metal, the average parent could not be trusted to replace individual pieces that expired.

Melizerd

The Start would be a great investment if you have several children spread out over many years. I have just the one child so I can't really convince DH that it's worth it or it would be on my short list of boosters.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
the dea

I talked about my Starts in the shopping section. My kids love them, they are like a well made office chair :) I think they like the Frontier as a booster more, but it just came out.... There was nothing better than the Starts when I needed boosters, and they are worth every penny. Radian is made with a steel frame and has a longer expiration, fwiw.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC