27 lb 20 month old in Nautilus

BW1426

I put Bubby in the Nautilus just to see what it looked like when dad had him in it the other day (it's adjusted for his 41 lb almost 4 year old sister). Oh my goodness. The harness was a good six inches above his shoulders (even the lowest setting was substantially above his shoulders. I just don't get how a 22 lb 1 year old would fit in this seat. He wears a 2T, he's not a small or short kid.

And, to top it all off, dad didn't adjust the tightness of the harness for either kids :hitselfonhead:

I'll try to get a picture and add it.

I'm photobucket illiterate so this took longer than I expected :whistles:
1.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

Mommy2Marcus

Re: 27 lb 20 month old

Are you sure it was the lowest setting you were seeing that was so far above his shoulders? I thought about buying this seat for my son when he was about 14-15 months old & put him in it at Wal-Mart & he actully fit pretty nicely. I do belive that the harness was either right at or at least within an inch of his shoulders. Who knows. It has been so long since I tried him in it.

fyrfightermomma

My 14 month old is on the 2nd slots already. Heres a pic. She was 22/23 lbs in this pic. Wore an 18 month shirt. 30" tall. The bottom slots were a good 1-2 inches below her shoulders. You must have a little one!

sophianauti.jpg

sophianauti2.jpg

I believe in this pic the straps are on the 2nd set of slots. She usually has a cloth diaper but didnt in this pic. That would raise her up a little more

I thought she fit very well in the seat for her age and size. I know alot of people said they thought it would swallow a 20 lb/1 year old up, but it really doesn't.

The head slump is bad though for that age group

*she does not ride in this seat..it is for demonstration purposes only*

seamonkeys

I think the original poster mentioned it being adjusted for her 4 yr-old.

Here's my DS at 16 mths, 23 lbs, trying out the seat at BRU. Also just wanted to see how he fit. I believe he also needed the 2nd from bottom slot.

Last edited:

fyrfightermomma

I think the original poster mentioned it being adjusted for her 4 yr-old.

Here's my DS at 16 mths, 23 lbs, trying out the seat at BRU. Also just wanted to see how he fit. I believe he also needed the 2nd from bottom slot.

True...but she also said the lowest slot was substantially above his shoulders still and she didn't understand how a 1 year old/22 lb baby could fit in there with that high of harness heights.

I just find it strange they were so much above his shoulders when younger/smaller children are at the 2nd to bottom slots.

OP are you sure the bottom slots were that much above his shoulders?? Maybe he just has a mini torso hehe ;)

seamonkeys

True...but she also said the lowest slot was substantially above his shoulders still and she didn't understand how a 1 year old/22 lb baby could fit in there with that high of harness heights.

I just find it strange they were so much above his shoulders when younger/smaller children are at the 2nd to bottom slots

oh sorry, guess I overlooked that part! :p Yeah, must be one small kiddo! Mine was only about 31 inches tall then (not sure torso), so not super tall for his age.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
please show a pic...are you sure there weren't som lower slots you were not seeing...?/...cuz as has been shown many times in this thread, the seat tends to fit kids 1-2 yrs old pretty well.(even though of course no one here would use it for a child of that age...:whistle:)

mykidsmylife

please show a pic...are you sure there weren't som lower slots you were not seeing...?/...cuz as has been shown many times in this thread, the seat tends to fit kids 1-2 yrs old pretty well.(even though of course no one here would use it for a child of that age...:whistle:)

Why not?? I would love to put my 22lbs baby ff. LOL. Actually he did ride ff the other day in the Apex and loved it. Now talk about a seat that swallows a 1 year old.

TerisBoys

Actually OP - with the infant insert in, he probably wouldn't fit half bad.

Remember - they tend to 'grow' once it's installed too - so I bet he'd be pretty close to the bottom slots.

BW1426

I added pictures.

The lowest slots don't look as high in the picture as they seemed irl. Maybe I was just all jacked up on pissed-off-ness because of the way it had been adjusted (or lack there of) for him in the car.

The lowest slots were definately usable for him, it just seemed so odd to me that they were as high as they were on him and that the seat could be used with a 22lb 1 year old because I've always thought of him as bigger than the average kid his age. It wasn't so much that they were super high on him, just I was trying to imagine him at 1 year in it and he weighed 22 pounds well before the year mark.

And in the end, maybe it just seems so weird to me because I'm so used to him being a cute little cuddly package in his RF Radian.

This is how my cutie pie is supposed to look:
2.jpg

seamonkeys

Ooops. How did I mess that up. They're wrong on both of mine :( I feel so stupid.

And what about the harness - it appears to be above his shoulders (maybe just the angle?). I can't image that's the lowest slot. My nephew is tiny (@ 29 inches), but is definitely over the lowest setting.

BW1426

And what about the harness - it appears to be above his shoulders (maybe just the angle?). I can't image that's the lowest slot. My nephew is tiny (@ 29 inches), but is definitely over the lowest setting.

It's definately below irl. I noticed that too in the pic, it's funny how it looks like that in the picture, but everytime I check it is obviously below :scratheshead:

But, he's definately well below the lowest setting without the insert in the Nautilus. The lowest slot is straight and the taller ones are slanted. The lowest one in the picture is the straight one. I'm curious how he'd look in it in the car.

seamonkeys

It's definately below irl. I noticed that too in the pic, it's funny how it looks like that in the picture, but everytime I check it is obviously below :scratheshead:

I wasn't talking about the lowest slot on the Radian, I was referring to the pic of the Nautilus in the OP. The Radian is the seat he usually rides in and I was just showing that's how I'm used to seeing him ;) But, he's definately well below the lowest setting without the insert in the Nautilus.

Yeah, I've noticed sometimes photos can be deceiving! I see you're a tech, so I was pretty sure you know the rules of harness positions! ;) Oh, I was talking about my nephew in the Radian too! :p

BW1426

I've never thought of him as being short torsoed. I'll have to measure his torso tomorrow. He's been above the third slots on the radian ever since I bought it :scratcheshead: Maybe it's simply because I didn't have the toddler insert in there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC