New Improved Radian?

Chex

I've done some searches, but I can't seem to find anything. People keep talking about a new Radian coming out. Is there a thread about it somewhere that I'm missing? (I'm not the best searcher). What are the new/different features?

Thanks!

ADS

BW1426

I believe there's a transcript floating around that has this info.

I'm pretty sure that the chestclip is getting changed as well as adding a removable harness.

I've heard something about SKJP testing the Radian RF to 40 lbs. Has anyone else heard this?

mamaofthree

I really hope it has a diff chest clip and removeable harness. That is worth waiting for. I finally saw the Radian IRL for the first time recently, and that chest clip was weird. It was huge and fat. Dd buckled it herself easily, but I hated it.

Kimberly

Chex

That's so funny....I much prefer the Radian's chest clip to Britax's. I know I'm the odd-one-out in this, but I like how solid it feels.

But the removable harness would be nice. As would the 40 lb rf limit. I would want to know if anything about the seat actually changed to make it be ok to 40 lb or if they just tested the same seat that's currently out and found out it performed well.

I'm one that would continue to use mine to 40 lbs if I found out it passed the tests.

PixieEMT

**Drools on key board

40lb Rear facing limit.....................sigh...DH would kill me if I bought another seat.:whistle:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The limited information available is in the SK chat transcript. That would've been March's CEU chat IIRC.

No, the new Radian will not have a 40lb rf'ing limit. Dave said that while he's sure it would pass testing, there is not an appropriate dummy available to test it to weights higher than 35lbs, so it will not be tested or approved beyond 35lbs.

The chest clip may or may not be changed. He wasn't specific about it, just said he had heard some complaints about it. It's possible it may come with 2 chest clips - one for younger babies and one for older children.

Yes, the harness will be removable. That's probably the biggest confirmed change.

From what I've seen of recent pic's of Radian's, the new ones are already coming with larger buckle tongs, so the new one will likely continue that.

Other possible change includes the top tether being anchored slightly higher up the shell to make it easier to adjust, or being altered in some way so that the adjuster for the top tether isn't squished between the vehicle seat and the shell of the carseat.

There was not a LOT of concrete info given aside from the removable harness. He was very specific in saying that the changes will all be very positive and everyone will be very impressed, but that he doesn't want to let all the details out or falsely raise hopes in case some things change. I got the feeling that there were still a few things being worked on at the time of the chat.

The transcript is really very informative, so I'd highly encourage everyone to read it to get the details straight from the source. Dave was hoping for release of August 08 but wasn't more specific than that - and we all know how delays can happen. So it's just a matter of wait and see. :thumbsup:

Link to chat transcript: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=40794

mamaofthree

Thanks for the chat link. Does anyone know if the "new improved" Radian will be advertised as such? Or will retailers just sell out their old stock and replace it with the new ones eventually? Just wondering how we'll know about it. I emailed SKJP and apparently they don't know/aren't talking about it. :confused:

Kimberly

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I wish they would rething if the RF boot could be optional and you could use noodle in its place.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I am using mine right now, but really notice the recline even with trying to make it more upright. I think that would be great if they mad it optional or maybe made on thta is half as high for older kids that you could buy.

mamaofthree

Ok, heard back from Susan at SKJP. She has no idea about any changes to the Radian 65. :confused:

Why doesn't the perfect seat exist for me right now? I'm very frustrated.

Kimberly

BW1426

Or these additions will come with a heftier price tag. Hopefully not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

crunchierthanthou

maybe the CS reps have been told not to tell anything until they release it later the summer. Britax didn't even acknowledge the Frontier until shortly before it came out. I mean, just because the director of engineering mentioned it on a board that gets thousands of hits a day doesn't mean they can discuss it with customers who call in. :rolleyes:

It will be at the ABC Kid's show in September. Here's Heather/MurphyDog77's recap from last year. Hopefully we'll get some spoilers before then because Dave from SSK mentioned "later in the summer".

mamaofthree

Thanks, I emailed Russ. We'll see if I get any info. I just wish I could know whether it was coming in August or gonna be dragged out for months. I'm thinking about the Monterey and the True Fit- they both took longer than estimated to ship right? Patience is not a virtue of mine.

I'm also wondering whether just the 80 will get the facelift. So we *have* to buy that one! That would be so sneaky. It would also mean Susan wasn't technically lying. First she said the Radian 80 wasn't having any MAJOR changes. Ok, removeable harness isn't too major. Then she said she wasn't aware of changes to the 65 when I mentioned thats the one I wanted. So maybe just the 80 is getting some minor changes? Aye, I'm overthinking this aren't I? I just want a new seat, and now that dh and I keep talking about doing three across in a new car, I really think its gonna be the Radian.

Kimberly

groovymom2000

Yes, the harness will be removable. That's probably the biggest confirmed change.

Other possible change includes the top tether being anchored slightly higher up the shell to make it easier to adjust, or being altered in some way so that the adjuster for the top tether isn't squished between the vehicle seat and the shell of the carseat.

Those are my two biggest complaints about the Radian, and why I won't buy another yet. I really could use another one for 3 across(just that it would make things easier to do), but for the price, I still don't love the current Radian enough to justify buying it.

singingpond

I am using mine right now, but really notice the recline even with trying to make it more upright. I think that would be great if they mad it optional or maybe made on thta is half as high for older kids that you could buy.

That would be great, especially since there were earlier threads here about Russ claiming that the seat tested fine without the boot (but, since that was 'gross misuse' testing, SKJP couldn't actually recommend using the seat that way). I would love to have the option of installing our RF Radian more upright.

The removable harness is certainly welcome. I had to rush DD to the pediatrician a few months ago, as she was throwing up every 10 to 15 minutes, and she rides in... you guessed it... a Radian. I covered the straps with a towel as much as I could, and, fortunately, she only had one minor erruption on the trips to and from the doctor's office. Poor thing was empty already, LOL, but I definitely thought about those non-removable straps as I buckled her in for that trip :rolleyes:.

Katrin

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I honestly don't see the rf'ing boot becoming optional. The suggestion has been made to have 2 different boots though to allow more upright installs with older kids, so if anything I'd expect that change. I wouldn't hold my breath over it though...

I know Debbie (defrost) has some good pic's around of getting the seat more upright. I've had the opposite problem in my truck of not being able to get a 45* recline because of my sloped seats even WITH tightening the rf'ing tether as much as I could.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC