Nautilus or Apex anyone? Need advice

Dragoness

So I need to admit something first... I first posted about this issue recently about possibly putting my almost 4yo in a booster (after he's 4) and was told I should get more expensive seats and yada yada yada. I admit I was very put off because I felt like I was not being heard, price is a huge hurdle. I felt like I was not "good enough" because my youngest isn't RFing anymore, he 22 months, 27 lbs and not sure of length but I thought it was almost 34. I will explain that in a moment. I felt like I was not good enough to measure up here because I can't afford big huge Regents and the like. I would look and see pics of big kids in the best money can buy and hear statments about how I should really step up and get whatever seat that i just can't afford and feeling really low and inadequate.

Then I did some thinking and soul searching and more research and it hit like a ton of bricks. I may not be able to afford Britax, but I can do better. So now I have a plan. I can't do all new seats at once, so please work with me here.This took stating crash statistics and 4 pt harness info to dh and surprisingly he agreed, I thought he would fight for the booster like he has been.

OK the kids are
Zoe, age 6 (7 in Sept), 44 inches, 44 lbs. Currently in the Evenflo Big Kid Booster.
Drake, age 3 (4 in August), 39 inches, 38 lbs. Currently in Cosco High Back Booster w/ 5 pt harness.
Troy, 2 in Sept (yes I stacked my kids, up), 27 lbs and about 33 or 34 inches, I need to measure him. Currently in the Scenera

So the plan was to buy an Apex at Walmart which is really my only shopping choice before it becomes a shipping thing which costs a fortune limiting what I can buy. But even though the Apex is the photo Walmart uses for the booster selection they don't seem to carry it :confused:
The I realized the Nautilus is only 10.00 more, so I am thinking Nautilus.

I know with the Apex you need high seat backs/head rests which our primary vehicle has, but our winter vehicle (not used much with kids) doesn't meaning my son would have to go back into the booster to be in there in the winter for our few car rides. I'm not sure I like that. But I haven't heard anything about the Nautilis requiring high seat backs, so does it?

So I am thinking of buying one Nautilus now (well next month) and putting my 3 yo in it in the drivers side Captains chair in the center row of my Dodge Caravan, the baby is currently there because his seat has the best side-impact of the three, but when we get the new one it will. I will move the youngest to the back Passenger side, and the Oldest to the back drivers side. The rear of the van is stronger than the center so I want the seat with the best side-impact in the center row.
If I can swing two of the new seats next month, would it be best to put my youngest in the second one? Or my oldest? I figure I should only need two of them for now, if I can manage a third later in the year, maybe near Christmas I will get the third then.

I know its not Britax, but its the very best I can do and its really pushing it money wise.

So what are all the things I should know?

ADS

Dragoness

I forgot to explain why my youngest isn't RFing anymore. Up until yesterday I thought it was carsickness because it started around 18 months and it seemed to happen only when RFing, we found out by accident when we had to use my other sons FF seat because his was all puked on. So we decided that the risk of his aspirating vomit was higher than the risk of him being FF. So he's been FF ever since. However, just now it is dawning on me that he may have some kind of sensory thing causing the vomiting because certain things like cheese (not the dairy, the texture), banana, chips, and a few others seem to make him gag and vomit easily, but he's not sick. But the episoides are much more common when he's Rfing, maybe he gets dizzy? So for now even though car wise RF is safer, due to the risk of choking I prefer to have him FF. The carseat can't protect him from choking/aspirating vomit. I hope that makes sense.

Dragoness

Oh he's not eating in the carseat when this happens. So it could be two seperate problems, so my kid just vomits easily. We have had 4 episodes this week, all at home.

crunchierthanthou

I'm sorry you were put off. We can be a bit exuberant when it comes to things like extended rear facing and harnessing. I'm glad you came back. :eek:

The scenera is fine. Rear facing is safer, but it's possible he's outgrown it by height rf by this age. I wouldn't stress about turning a nearly 3 yo back around.

So is the booster for a 6.5 year old, provided she sits well in it. Is it a high or low back? If low, does the vehicle headrest come to at least her eye level?

Your older son is getting close to outgrowing his seat (if he hasn't done so already by height). I would choose the Nautilus over the Apex. The GN does not require head support from the vehicle seatback, it's less wide, it has taller top harness position and it makes a better booster. It also has LATCH capabilities in booster mode and a 9 year lifespan in low back booster mode (6 years for harnessed and HBB)- oh, and a decent cup holder. :)

Dragoness

The FF one I want RFing is almost 2, but I fear him choking to death or aspirating due to his vomiting problems if I can't see him. Its another reason I want him in the same area as my dd because if it came right down to it she could get to him faster or at least start unbuckling him while I am on my way. He's 33 inches, maybe 34. Oh he's awake, lets see... 33 and a half, I was close.

My oldest is in a high back, everything fits really really well in our Van, and well in the truck too. She sits fine, my kids are amazingly good in the car. The headrests are fine, she's short. Even my 3yo sits fine in a booster (he's been in it twice, long story) BUT I don't want him in a booster yet even though technically he could be. More reasearch was a good thing there.

None of our cars have LATCH, hubby is a mechanic so cars never die. We do keep getting them newer and newer though :D our newest we just got is a 1998 Dodge Caravan... guess what we paid??? $1.00! It had a blown motor, took him 3 days to fix it and hardly any parts. Its my dollar store van, lol.

So if the seat is 6 yrs harnessed and 9 as a booster, could I use it 6 years harnessed then another 3 as a low back booster? Is that how it works? My kids aren't big and are likely to be in boosters till 12, at least.

U

Unregistered1

Hey :)
Just so you know, I'm pretty low income too (I'm 19, in college, and working at a daycare). I've never owned a Britax seat in my life and I've never had a rear facing seat in my car even though I used to transport one-year-olds regularly. And I'm a tech.
Nobody's perfect :) There are things I would change now, but you do the best you can with what you have.

That said, I just got the Nautilus for A. I LOVE it. It will last your little guy so long which I think will make it cost effective for you in the long run. It is hard to swallow such a big purchase at first... One nautilus is like most of my paycheck. Fortunately I found it on sale at Meijer's :) You'll be happy with it, and no it doesn't require seat back support like the Apex does. I'm not sure what your finances are like but I financed mine by selling old baby items that we're not using anymore to a children's resale shop, and just kind of setting aside any 'extra' income (Lucky me, I still have relatives that like to send money on holidays!). Because I knew I was going to be spending extra I've also been trying to be extra super frugal (something I'm not so good at, LOL)

Don't feel bad. We do get a little excited about car seats, lol, but we mean well. I try not to judge, but to help... because if anyone here had seen my car three years ago, they would have had a heart attack. :p

The Nautilus and the Apex are both great seats, and as long as you use them correctly they aren't any 'less safe' than Britax. That's just a personal preference thing. I love the Nautilus and am fully satisfied with it, I've mentioned it to so many people looking for a harness past 40 lbs.

I'll stop talking now, I tend to get long winded late at night, but my point is, don't sweat it, you're doing what you can and you're doing a great job :) I'm impressed that you took the time to do the research - most people don't.

MsFacetious

So if the seat is 6 yrs harnessed and 9 as a booster, could I use it 6 years harnessed then another 3 as a low back booster? Is that how it works? My kids aren't big and are likely to be in boosters till 12, at least.

Yes you are right.

I have Regents for my girls that we bought a couple years ago when we could afford it. However, when we needed spare seats Regents were not an option budget wise. We went with the Nautilus. That was a good choice for us since we use such a variety of vehicles. My girls really like it and aside from the arm rests being in the way, so do I. :thumbsup:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Hi, glad you came back. :D

I'm sure no one intended to hurt your feelings or make you feel "not good enough." A lot of people on this board struggle with finances, too. We tend to pay more for carseats because they last longer, though, not because they're inherently safer. We like to get the most bang for our buck, and with carseats, that often means paying a bit more up front to get more use out of it. I've spent less money overall on my two youngest kids (who ride/rode in Britax seats) than I did on my two oldest, who rode in carseats that were cheaper initially, but we wound up replacing them so often it cost more in the long run. Anyway, that's why we tend to suggest more expensive carseats - not because they're safer, but because they are usually more cost-effective. :thumbsup:

If you check out my siggie, you'll see that my two boostered boys ride in plain 'ol Graco boosters, though I do lust for a luxury booster! ;) And while my DD rides in a Husky (older version of the Regent), it was bought as an investment when she was 4, and it will be used until it expires. If we get in a wreck, though, it will be replaced with a Nautilus, because I like it a lot better than the Regent!

I think you can buy the Nautilus through Walmart.com and get free shipping if you use the ship-to-store method.

Dragoness

I know no one intended to upset me, I think lately I have been extra sensetive. My best friend moved away today and her son is my dd's best friend. Its really been tough and it was really sudden, so I have been totally emotional. But I am glad I got the information and took the time to talk my husband into it, it is for the best. I really wish I culd just get 3 for all 3 kids, but 1 at a time and the middle child needs a new seat first.

cpsaddict

Honestly, I think your 6.5yr old is fine in a booster, especially if she sits well in it. For her, I would not worry about getting a Nautilus, but maybe something like the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe. It's $30 at albeebaby.com and they have $4.95 shipping. For your younges, yes, rearfacing would be safest, but a properly installed forward facing seat is also safe. If you do not already, I would highly recommend getting tether anchors installed. I can look up the part numbers in the morning, unless someone gets to it before me. My manual is in the car and I'm heading to bed. For your middle, the Nautilus would be fantastic. However, something that just occured to me is that your youngest is not 34", which is the minimum for the Scenera. SO, I would say if your 3yr old is not too tall(you said earlier that he is small, right?), keep him in the seat he is in and put the youngest in the Nautilus. Then get the 3 yr old the second Nautilus.
I really hope this makes sense! I am so sleepy!

Oh and I'm so glad you came back! We really are nice, I swear! ;)

ETA: I just read that the middle child needs the new seat first, so, hmm, I will need to think on this some more.............

Dragoness

I do have tethers, even on cars we had without them my husband either installed if available, or for one car he fabricated them (and had them checked don't worry, he's a professional!) because no one made them. Maybe 2 cars??? We have had 8 cars since we got met/married... 8 cars in 8 years, lol

As for my youngest the Scenera is for kids from 5-40lbs so no way he's too small, lol. But 34 inches IS the minimum for the Apex, so if some reason we got that instead I would wait till he grows a little, he's only half an inch shy now. The Nautilus is 24 inches I think? I just looked and he's plenty big enough.

My 3 year old is still average but slowing way down, when he was 1 and 2 he was huge and now other kids his age are as big or bigger. But the problem is that he just hit 38 lbs and is really growing, so 40 lbs could happen fast. See, when he was about oh I dunno... 2? He got HUGE and I mean huge. He skyrocketed to 39.3 lbs and my husband and I were in a panic because we could not afford a Britax and the only seat at the time we could get our hands on and afford was impossible to find, I think it was fisher price maybe? Anyway I searched craigslist like a madwoman for a used Britax hoping we could use it long enough to make it. I know it was used but we were DESPERATE. I missed out a few times. Then the Apex came out and I was on my way to buy one when i realized it would not work in our car with the low backs (we have upgraded since.) I was FREAKED out (oh and Zoe was going over 40lbs right then too) and we ended up having someone give us 2 Laptops and we knew it was fine for Zoe, but it was pushing it for Drake because he was borderline, but we had no choice. He made it by the requirements by millimeters and ounces. Then he got really sick and lost 4 lbs and I was able to put him back in the 5 pt harness and about that time he lost baby fat and slimmed down. Now a year later he is just approaching 40 again. My daughter was in the laptop for a few months and they JUST expired this month but we haven't used them in ages. We ended up retrofitting our truck with shoulder belts and on the very rare occasion she had to go in the car we used the laptop. Now we have the van so the booster works. But at one point there I was in a serious panic, now I am planning ahead knowing it could take 4 weeks or 4 months but soon he will hit 40lbs, so time to upgrade his seat.

But there is a small possibility I can get 2 of them, but it may be more cost effective to leave my youngest in the Scenera for another 18 months or so and in a year and a half at 5 and 3/4 I think Drake should be fine for a booster and Troy can have the seat. Otherwise I will just buy a second Nautilus in Feb (taxes) for Troy.

I am so babbling, sorry.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Welcome back!

I am so sorry if we made you feel bad the first time you were here. As the others said, we can get a bit "animated" about our passion, and while I don't think anyone means to be abrasive or "holier than thou," I think it can come across that way (darn internet... emotions can't adequately be expressed. :p).

What a previous poster meant by your youngest being too small for the Scenera is that the Scenera has a minimum height of 34 inches for FF. Weight-wise, he is just fine. :)

It does sound like the priority needs to be on your middle guy. The Nautilus sounds like an excellent choice for him (as long as it fits your vehicle, fits your son, and can be used properly every time, of course. :)). It would give him loads of room to grow, which is excellent.

If there is anyway you can swing two seats, a Nautilus might be a great choice for your little guy too. It doesn't sound like he has the same urgency, though. :) He is fine in the Scenera for now.

Good luck!

HEVY

I been here on and off for over 4 yrs and when my dd was about to outgrow her Summit HBB I felt that I was not doing my job as a mom very well cause I couldn't afford a new seat, especially a Britax. I had always wanted a Husky cause my dd was so fat I thought she would never fit in anything else when she got older. But I felt offended too when I was told that my child is more important than money and I should have saved and so on. But most here are really just concerned and are not trying to be mean or uppity. And you will realize that the more you come. Anyway, I have my Regent and I am a bit of a Britax snob now :D But I give all seats a fair chance. In my leisure time I like to try my dd in car seats/boosters :shrug-shoulders:

Anyway now I'm rambling, and really don't need to because everyone is encouraging you, what's one more right?

I think a GN is a good choice for your ds, I finally got to try one and it was actually nice, my only suggestion is too keep him harnessed until the limit, regardless of his age. Your dd seems to be fine in the booster and I wouldn't worry about your baby until you need too. If you don't want to pay shipping and got a couple weeks to wait order it from Walmart with site to store. Unless you can find one in a store in your area.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As others have said, LOTS of us have tight budgets...and no Britax seats. NO reason to feel bad about that at all! Glad you gave the forum a 2nd chance.

I think a booster for your oldest is fine, a Nautilus for your middle guy and leave the baby in the Scenera until it's outgrown. At that point you can see where you're at.

FYI, watch Amazon for the Nautilus. Right now it's $127 and change with free shipping.

cpsaddict

For the Scenera, I did mean that it has the 34" minimum to FF, but since he is so close, I would concentrate on a new seat for the middle child. I think the Nautilus would be a better choice. It's more padded and easier to use. The Apex is just fine, but for $10 more I think the Nautilus makes a nicer seat. Also, I think the Nautilus would be easier for a three across. The Apex is very wide.

Note: To anyone with an Apex, it is NOT a bad seat. It's just fine, but IN MY OPINION, I like the Nautilus a bit better.

Dragoness

Thats really odd, my Scenera booklet doesn't say 34 inches to FF, it says 32. I guess I should look online!

Oh crap the seat does say 34 inches! I feel so stupid, thats the last time I let my HUSBAND get the information on it! I told him to check and he said he did! I would have done it myself at the time but I was sick with some physical problems and could not even get in the back to buckle/unbuckle.

Now what do I do? He vomites a lot RF but he's 33.5, actually about 33 2/3

I guess I will have to turn him RFing again and put my daughter right next to him in case he vomits. Yay, just what i wanted to do this morning, move and rehtread the carseat.

Dragoness

So I just went after my husband about the FF RF thing because he swears he read 32 inches on the seat. So then I made him put my glasses on (mine are a bit stronger than his, but his have been broken for ages) and he says "Oh wow, it does say 34 inches" :doh:
He's feels really stupid as do I.

So the moral of the story is to make sure whoever is reading important numbers can actually SEE them

Off to make an appointment for him with the eye doctor!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Now what do I do? He vomites a lot RF but he's 33.5, actually about 33 2/3

Techs, what do you think?

He is only 1/3 of an inch too short. I would be inclined to try flipping him back RF, but if he is getting that sick, I think I would put him back FF. What do you think, techs?

Dragoness

I am so sick about this I don't know what to do. I feel awful, just awful that we made such a HUGE mistake due to a reading error!

My husband feels awful too, I can't beleive we were so stupid. I should have read the stuff on the seat before he started installing, but I was so dang sick I was delegating a lot and my husband has never messed up an installation before.

I feel so stupid I am crying :(

I am so thankful you guys caught it, thank you thank you

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC