Recaro Start $289 free shipping?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, healthchecksystems is fine, babycatalog is fine. Both will probably have older seats (I bought mine for $199 from somehwere in fall of 2005 and it had a DOM in 2003... they claim the Starts don't expire, so I didn't mind :whistle:)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We really love ours. My 10 yo has a couple inches to grow in it, and it's so narrow I can easily put them outboard in my minivan's third row and have room for a boosterless kid to sit in the middle. They are super comfy, mainly for the beanpole kids (high limit of 80 pounds, and the butt area isn't very roomy), good SIP that the kids don't lean out of. Deep thigh support, good sleep support. Optional lock on the shoulderbelt (mandatory for kids 30-40 pounds, though), has a top tether to prevent the heavy seat from loading weight onto the kiddo (it's like 23 pounds?). The kids love the built in speakers in the headrests.

Here it is 'naked' http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/ANakedRecaro/photo#5207642765130004642 (on top of that goes very dense comfort foam and a high quality cover--EPS foam is under the covers that I left on the seat, they are a pain to take off to wash so I left them on).
And here they are in my van.. http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/StartsAndCenterBeltGuide (I found the footrest to be cumbersome and couldn't really figure it out in that car, so I sold it.. .the 'belt guide' in the middle was just something I was playing around with).
Hmm...time for pictures of actual children in those seats, eh? (my ds chooses it over the backless booster in the middle of the middle row, I guess it's pretty comfy!)

Oh, the belts going through the belt guide CAN get stuck (the lockoff will flip into locked position too easily), it can be worse depending on the height of the backrest and the way it comes out of the car... so that's kind of an annoyance...right now for my DS it's not getting stuck at all, but dd's is shorter and it gets stuck more often.

mom23boys

Thanks Jools, I was not aware of the 80 lb weight limit. Our ds2 in only 70 lbs so he could get some use out of it but ds3 who is not even 5 is already 53 lbs so I may not be able to pass it on. Still thinking about it! It looks so well made.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Well, I'm still working on convincing my dh. :whistle:

I want one because while my kids all have safe solutions in our Mazda 5 now, with a Recaro Start I could put a boostered kid in the 3rd row again, and Thomas would be SO much more comfortable in the 2nd row. Plus, we have a gate on our property, so at certain times of the year when it's closed, it would be nice to have the only kid strong enough to handle the gate in a position where he can actually get out of the vehicle.

So, the Start is luxury item for us. Not necessary, but it sure would make things easier!

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I tried one at lifesavers, but there wasn't a rep there to talk it up. Jenny helped me though. How tall does the belt guide go on that one?

Defrost

DUDE DUDE DUDE I FINALLY TALKED HIM INTO IT!!!!!!! :D

Gypsy found me a few more places that had it on sale; I even found one in Midnight Flash! (To match my CAR omg I feel like such a total dork!)

$279, free shipping

I :love: my husband SO MUCH!

Dude, I have to change my siggy now....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL Debbie! I hope you like it... we really didn't like our first one (my fault for putting a 3 yo in a booster, anyway...), but it's grown on us and we can handle it's quirks :)

scatterbunny

We :love: ours, too! It's just a bear to adjust (takes two hands, sometimes two people if you aren't familiar with it, or strong :p ), definitely not a quick-to-adjust seat, and it sits up taller than many boosters in the vehicle. It's got awesome wings, awesome adjustability (LOVE that seat depth adjustment), soooo soft cover, and it tethers (I like boosters that secure to the vehicle in some way), and has no expiration.

Unfortunately, used outboard in my Focus, it is only a hair away from touching the roof of the car, so I don't think we'll be able to use it outboard on the highest setting. :( We haven't tried it in the center yet.

Defrost

Unfortunately, used outboard in my Focus, it is only a hair away from touching the roof of the car, so I don't think we'll be able to use it outboard on the highest setting. :( We haven't tried it in the center yet.

Shh... don't spoil my fantasy just yet... ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Mines fine in the tallest in the back of my van, it's better than the PW. There, does that help keep the fantasy alive? :love:

scatterbunny

LOL, not wanting to spoil your fantasy, in your car it'll probably be just fine. :p The roof slopes down quite a bit on the sides in the back of theFocus.

remken

I tried one at lifesavers, but there wasn't a rep there to talk it up. Jenny helped me though. How tall does the belt guide go on that one?

I get about 22 inches when I measure.

starthmeasurement.jpg

If it wasn't for the 80 pd. weight limit I think my dd would've had more time in the start, then in the body guard.

scatterbunny

The measurement is a bit tricky, because H has more than an inch extra height room in the Start than in the Parkway, for example (which is measured at 21 inches). I'll try to get some better pics of H in the Start soon to compare. When I did my booster comparison thread a few months ago I remember that I was blown away with how much more height room dd had in the Start compared to other boosters.

Defrost

Thank jools & Wendy! I'm fully prepared for the possibility that this won't be the answer to all my prayers :rolleyes: but of course it's rather become an obsession at this point. ;)

Fighter will be the one using it, and as he's pretty much followed Thomas' growth pattern, it should work for him for at least a couple of years. At which point I can re-assess the whole situation - hopefully Thomas will have taken up weight lifting and have a barrel-chest by then? :D Or I'll just trade this car in for something else, hopefully a newer Mazda5 that's had this issue FIXED!

PHaley

Can you compare this to the SR/C? I'm ordering a FR but if my DGS-7 doesnt fit I'll have to put him in a bpb and we already have a SR/C but I like that this can lock. He rides in other peoples car w/ no seat at all :( but MD is changing their law to 8yrs/65lbs/4'9" minimum on June 30th and I'm hoping to be able to use this to convince his folks& gparents to put him back in a seat :rolleyes: Would love to know what you think before I order a nearly $300 booster yikes

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC