I wish the GN had same requirements as the Frontier!!

seamonkeys

Just checking the GN on Amazon and noticed somebody posted a photo of a 22 lb 13 mth-old!! I hoped that it was just to test fit on a smaller child, so I looked through the customer reviews - her review states that they bought it for that baby!! And several other reviews mentioned getting it for kids when they turned 1!!! :eek::thumbsdown: I can't believe people!!!

Here's the link to the reviews!
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0011URFRE/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary/102-1672237-8103331?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

ADS

seamonkeys

They don't know what they were never taught. Remember we all were in that position at one time as well.

It's our job to educate them in the right way :)

True. I didn't get it till the 2nd time around! :whistle: Still, now that I know better, it kills me when I see people turning them around so early!

lilysmomma

I had to talk a friend out of buying a GN for her barley 20# 12 month old:(

I also wish it had the same requirements as the Frontier.

Neatfreak

Ah, one of my friends is considering a GN. She has a 16 month old. I honestly thought that the GN has a 24 month min. age requirement, so I was kind of disappointed that I couldn't use that as a way to suggest a different seat, preferably a RFing one.

fyrfightermomma

I think the 2 year minimum can have some downfalls.

For instance, we all know kids who hit 33-35 lbs before age 2. Many of us have had them. That would mean they wouldnt be able to use a Frontier already and now not a GN.

That child will be FFing anyways but now that business has gone elsewhere, KWIM??

Qarin

I agree with Eviesmama. If a baby is going to be turned at 1 and 20, and the GN is not an option, then they'll most likely get either a 40lb max convertible and install it forward-facing, or a 40lb max combination seat, and that child will be in a booster (or nothing) at age 2.5 or 3. The choice really is, would you rather see a child forward-facing at 12 months old and harnessed at 3, or forward-facing at 12 months old and in a booster at 3? It's not a great choice, but I know which I pick, and until the education is out there, I'm glad there are good long-term forward-facing harnessing options which are not trying to limit prematurely (before, as I say, the education is out there).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
At least Graco gives us the option of ERF in an infant seat... but they can't win 'em all. Maybe 'stepping up' the FF minimums? 15 months minimum? It'd be a small step people might not object to, (and they'd break that rule the same as they put their under-1's ff, but at least it raises the bar...)

laurenrachey

Yeah a BRU rep was at our local children's museum the other day and I saw the Nautilus on display :thumbsup: (It was the only carseat there, the focus was safety in general, so the rest was cabinet locks, toilet locks etc. So they were, in a way, encouraging extended harnessing) I wandered over without DH/DS to look at it. She started talking to me about it (I quickly realized I knew more than she did though) and she said "So you're child should be a year old before you can use it." I wanted to say, "Well they should be at least two, if not more" but I lost my nerve! :( It would be nice if the Nautilus at least had a 2 year minumum. Ideally, forward facing seats should only be for 30+ lbs and boosters ONLY for 40-45+ lbs instead of 30lbs! Baby steps, baby steps.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am impressed with one little thing in the Nautilus manual, though...

On page 16 (which is about the HBB option), it says,
If child is between 30 and 65 lbs and
shoulders are below the upper harness
slots, we highly recommend use of the
built-in harness for as long as possible
(up to 65 lbs).

:thumbsup:

fyrfightermomma

Yeah a BRU rep was at our local children's museum the other day and I saw the Nautilus on display :thumbsup: (It was the only carseat there, the focus was safety in general, so the rest was cabinet locks, toilet locks etc. So they were, in a way, encouraging extended harnessing) I wandered over without DH/DS to look at it. She started talking to me about it (I quickly realized I knew more than she did though) and she said "So you're child should be a year old before you can use it." I wanted to say, "Well they should be at least two, if not more" but I lost my nerve! :( It would be nice if the Nautilus at least had a 2 year minumum. Ideally, forward facing seats should only be for 30+ lbs and boosters ONLY for 40-45+ lbs instead of 30lbs! Baby steps, baby steps.

But again...what do you do with the 33 pound 20 month old?? They have now lost a customer who went and bought a convertible they CAN use and will outgrow very fast.

Honestly on a 30 pound minimum?? I am not OK with that(my kid couldn't use it then until she was 5 or 6....but anyways...thats a different vent) or a 2 year minimum. It's confusing enough to tell parents what seat to get

I am having that problem right now with "minimums" My child is small. She is 3 and 24 pounds. I have made the parental decision based on my research and knowledge to place her forward facing in my husbands car and in a few months FF in my car. We have a GN and a Frontier. She uses the GN his car, but I would prefer she use the Frontier. However, because of the "minimum" she can't, even though she is 3.

She hasn't gained weight in over a year. Do I think she will hit 25 lbs by fall? Nope...so now I am stuck having to wait longer to use the seat.

I know their thought process was in the right place.....but for some people its hard reaching any of those minimums...you have a chunky under 2 child or a skinny preschooler, you can't use those seats and are forced to go to other manufacturers. If the minimum was 30 lbs?? Seriously, my child would be in first grade. I will not buy a seat I can't even use until that time.

If you raise both the GN and the Frontier to 2/25#'s (or even 30#)you lose alot of potential customers who are forced to buy whatever seat fits their child and a whole lot of kiddos in boosters sooner. Right now the GN is my only option for a HWH seat that converts to a booster. Take that out of the equation, I am stuck with an Apex pretty much

I know "ideally" there should be those minimums, but there are the exceptions then who couldn't use those seats. I'd love to see kids RF to 2 and RF to 33 pounds but for heavy kids and skinny kids on each spectrum, those minimums may do more harm than good.

I know for people who have "average sized" kids this doesn't seem like an issue....but can you imagine not being able to forward face your child until they were 6?? Or not be able to use a seat for your 18 month old who is chunkier because they don't meet the age minimum??

Until you have a child on those extreme spectrums, its hard to understand.

Last edited:

BW1426

I think the 2 year minimum can have some downfalls.

For instance, we all know kids who hit 33-35 lbs before age 2. Many of us have had them. That would mean they wouldnt be able to use a Frontier already and now not a GN.

That child will be FFing anyways but now that business has gone elsewhere, KWIM??

I agree. Just because the Frontier has a 2 year minimum, doesn't mean parents are going to RF their kids until then (I'm not sure if that was Britax's intent or not).

I'd be thrilled with a 30-35 lb minimum use. I think it's silly that if you had a 35 lb 20 month old that fit the seat well, that technically, you couldn't use it.

I can't even begin to imagine a 22 lb baby using a Nautilus. I'd think it would swallow them.

houseofboys

I can't even begin to imagine a 22 lb baby using a Nautilus. I'd think it would swallow them.
We may be getting custody of my cousin's 19-month-old grandbaby who is about 23 pounds right now. When her great-grandma (my aunt) has driven her, she refuses to put her RF. So one day I tested her out in DS's GN. It fits her wonderfully, actually. She looks comfy & snug in it on the lowest harness setting. That said, if we get custody of her she'll be RF in the Uptown until the limits of the seat. :D

Last edited:

fyrfightermomma

I agree. Just because the Frontier has a 2 year minimum, doesn't mean parents are going to RF their kids until then (I'm not sure if that was Britax's intent or not).

I'd be thrilled with a 30-35 lb minimum use. I think it's silly that if you had a 35 lb 20 month old that fit the seat well, that technically, you couldn't use it.

I also put my 14 month old in it just for fun and it fit her awesome! Way better than most forward facing seats.

It is very cozy for smaller kids

But I wont be putting her in it anytime soon :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I bet it is really cozy looking while they are awake....but as soon as they fall asleep? It's probably going to be a head flop nightmare :eek:

laurenrachey

But again...what do you do with the 33 pound 20 month old?? They have now lost a customer who went and bought a convertible they CAN use and will outgrow very fast.

Honestly on a 30 pound minimum?? I am not OK with that(my kid couldn't use it then until she was 5 or 6....but anyways...thats a different vent) or a 2 year minimum. It's confusing enough to tell parents what seat to get

I am having that problem right now with "minimums" My child is small. She is 3 and 24 pounds. I have made the parental decision based on my research and knowledge to place her forward facing in my husbands car and in a few months FF in my car. We have a GN and a Frontier. She uses the GN his car, but I would prefer she use the Frontier. However, because of the "minimum" she can't, even though she is 3.

She hasn't gained weight in over a year. Do I think she will hit 25 lbs by fall? Nope...so now I am stuck having to wait longer to use the seat.

I know their thought process was in the right place.....but for some people its hard reaching any of those minimums...you have a chunky under 2 child or a skinny preschooler, you can't use those seats and are forced to go to other manufacturers. If the minimum was 30 lbs?? Seriously, my child would be in first grade. I will not buy a seat I can't even use until that time.

If you raise both the GN and the Frontier to 2/25#'s (or even 30#)you lose alot of potential customers who are forced to buy whatever seat fits their child and a whole lot of kiddos in boosters sooner. Right now the GN is my only option for a HWH seat that converts to a booster. Take that out of the equation, I am stuck with an Apex pretty much

I know "ideally" there should be those minimums, but there are the exceptions then who couldn't use those seats. I'd love to see kids RF to 2 and RF to 33 pounds but for heavy kids and skinny kids on each spectrum, those minimums may do more harm than good.

I know for people who have "average sized" kids this doesn't seem like an issue....but can you imagine not being able to forward face your child until they were 6?? Or not be able to use a seat for your 18 month old who is chunkier because they don't meet the age minimum??

Until you have a child on those extreme spectrums, its hard to understand.

Sorry, never in my dreams did I think my post would be offensive or anything, just trying to think how we could get parents to keep their kids RF longer. Because regardless of laws (1 and/or 20lbs), many parents are going to do what they want. I guess the same goes for the manufacturer's rules also though. Obviously there has to be a buffer zone for small children and bigger children. Sorry again :(

fyrfightermomma

Sorry, never in my dreams did I think my post would be offensive or anything, just trying to think how we could get parents to keep their kids RF longer. Because regardless of laws (1 and/or 20lbs), many parents are going to do what they want. I guess the same goes for the manufacturer's rules also though. Obviously there has to be a buffer zone for small children and bigger children. Sorry again :(

no no no...I wasn't offended. Your post had a good point. I was just showing the other side of that :)

Don't worry....I am just overly sensitive of my skinny little one ;)

laurenrachey

no no no...I wasn't offended. Your post had a good point. I was just showing the other side of that :)

Don't worry....I am just overly sensitive of my skinny little one ;)

Okay, whew, I felt really bad for not thinking that through better. Of course my kid falls exactly at the 50% across the board (head, height and weight) :rolleyes: But he's the peanut of most of my friends with kids. One is a month older than him and already over 40lbs (also in a Nautilus that I helped his mom pick out!)

seamonkeys

Well, I didn't realize there would be such controversy over this statement - that is on this forum! I guess I'm still thinking of my boys both moving out of their infant seats before a year old, so I went straight to the MA, and figured it would last to age 4-5. Why even think about another seat before then. But that was with lower weight and height limits on the infant seats. I guess for those using the new models and getting to over a year in them, it's not surprising they'd go for a Nauti since they are probably going by what they've been taught - 1 yr and 20 lbs to forward face.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC