carseat checks

longstocking

I am so frustrated at this point - this might almost be a vent? But I'm seriously asking advice if you know somewhere else I can go for a carseat check.
Our baby is due to arrive any day pretty much (down to a week) We installed the carseat and everything looks good, but, knowing how important it is I want to really double check. I looked up that carseat safety websight and typed in my zipcode (you would think CA would have quite a few) I got a list and started calling around, half the places don't do it anymore, the other 1/4 only do it every six months or so, couldn't get a hold of a lot of them, the other ones were over 35 miles away (that's a long drive in CA standard) The few I got hold of said it just depended on the day and their work load, so, call every day and see if they are available (I don't have quite that open ended of a schedule!) one place I set up an appointment but he said he only did it once a month for a few hours on a certain day :confused: so the date is set, and it's my due date (yeah, we'll see if I make that appointment!) Oh yeah, and some places I called charged for the service, I don't want to pay the $20-$45 (is it normal practice to charge for an inspection?)
I called a few local FD and PD places and they don't have such technicians.
AUGH! This shouldn't be so difficult! My hubby keeps telling me to stop worrying about it, it's not a big deal, the seat is installed and it's fine...blah blah blah...I worry about it because it's our babies safety on the line!
For you carseat safety techs. My DH thinks you can just refer to the bubble being in the middle to make sure the carseat is at the right angle. I keep telling him that doesn't always guarantee a 45 degree angle (is that the right angle for a seat?) I once read you can take a regular piece of paper and fold it and hold that up to the back of the seat to double check, but, I don't know.
Any suggestions of other places I could try?

ADS

abacus2

Hopefully you'll be able to get to the appointment on your due date. But in the meantime, you could post pictures of your install and the techs on here can give you advice and make sure your seat is in properly and give you tips on making sure the seat is adjusted to fit your new baby properly. You might want to start an new thread with pictures and a title asking for help checking your installation.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If you could be more specific as to where in CA you are we might be able to tell you of a tech in your area.

If you would like to post a picture of your installation here to the forums we will be happy to take a look at (and ask a bunch of questions about) your set up. We can usually talk most people though a "virtual" inspection and have the outcome be pretty darn good. This method requires patience and multiple visits to the site though. Still, that sounds like your best bet for a no-cost timely solution.

As for as finding a real life tech, honestly, the places that do checks for free will either have a long waiting list for appointments or will be doing checkpoint style checks where you have to wait in line. It would be great if all techs could do free checks all the time, but the funding is just not there for such a program, and most techs have to make a living and can't be full time volunteers. If you really want a check immediately be prepared to pay someone who has dedicated themselves to making a living by performing a much needed service. (yes 25-40 dollars is the average price) If you really can't afford the price of a check talk to the tech on the phone and explain your situation to them. Most will be willing to work with you to figure something out. I do charge for checks (I also volunteer at free checkpoints) but I have never, and will never, turn someone away for inability to pay. I've had parents that have offered to pay me by volunteering at events I've put on, spending time putting together the packets I hand out, handing out my business cards at work, making copies. Lots of things.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Definitely let us know where in CA you are. Sometimes the lists available to the public aren't the most updated, or there might be other events around that the people you've called don't know about.

I'm in Southern California, and I charge for checks. I know of three other people who charge for private checks, and at least one agency that does. All charge far more than $25, so I would actually consider that a bargain ;)

longstocking

thanks! I'm in the San Fernando Valley - North Hollywood area
I'll look into getting pictures posted tomorrow (if I can figure out how to post pictures)
I thought of another question - is there a recommended distance between carseat and the seat in front of it? (make sense??) Our car has a pitiful amount of room in the back so I had to scoot the front passenger seat way forward, I scooted the seat back until it hit the carseat (and my knees are still touching the dashboard up front)
Someday (distant future)- a new car!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
thanks! I'm in the San Fernando Valley - North Hollywood area
I'll look into getting pictures posted tomorrow (if I can figure out how to post pictures)
I thought of another question - is there a recommended distance between carseat and the seat in front of it? (make sense??) Our car has a pitiful amount of room in the back so I had to scoot the front passenger seat way forward, I scooted the seat back until it hit the carseat (and my knees are still touching the dashboard up front)
Someday (distant future)- a new car!

Did you try the center? In many cars a rfing carseat can fit between the driver and passenger seat and allow both seats to be fully back.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Since you have a bubble level on the base, I'm going to say that you've got a Chicco KeyFit. Go to www.chiccousa.com and double check that your base hasn't been recalled. If it has, DON'T freak out. You can install it safely with the seatbelt. Then follow the instructions to get it fixed...and you'll get a free base out of the deal.

If you're installing the base in the center, you'll probably need to do the seatbelt install. Not a lot of cars have LATCH in the center and Chicco doesn't allow us to borrow anchors from the outside seats.

Susan

longstocking

Yeah we got the Chicco, but we don't even have the latch option in our car so I figured since the seatbelt tests were still good with using the car seatbelts I would go ahead and get it anyway. Unfortunately the carseat won't fit in the middle - both seats would have to be scooted forward (Suzuki Grand Vitara's are not made for passengers) not to mention there is a slight hump in the middle so it made the seat a little wobbly.
Still no pictures - my hubby took the car to work and I've been too hot and tired to move out of my chair with a fan blowing directly on me (except for a Dr. appointment, I'm being really lazy today!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC