Need some advice-special needs/low tone

MOm2Blayne

Hi! I am new here. I have been reading a ton of threads but I am still having a problem in deciding which car seat to buy. Here is some background information on my son:
He was a 27 weeker weighing 2lbs 5oz

He is now 4 1/2 and is 37lbs and 39inches btw: he is tube fed and a bit over weight for his height, we are working on that :)

We have used a Britax Marathon since he outgrew his infant seat around a year old. Rear facing until he outrew it length wise. I had it slightly reclined in the forward postion. He is not walking and has low tone CP. He has good head control but is low tone/weak in the trunk muscles.

I noticed last week the base of his Marathon broke. I bought him a Britax Traveller Plus a few months back before all of this but it will NOT install in my car. I have an older car that doesn’t have the latch bars or tether points. There is just no way to install the darn thing in my car. I have tried and tried. So I am trying to find him a new car seat. He needs to be slightly reclined but he is too big for rear-facing. I need it to hold to at least 65lbs. The booster-seat belt combination ones that hold more weight and they don’t support or recline enough.

If worse comes to worse I will get him the another Marathon since I could install it with just the seat belt. I just would like to get one that holds him longer as he gets bigger because he will be in a car seat for a while. I have narrowed it down to three of them. The Sunshine Kids Radian 80, the Recaro Signo or the True Fit. I just want the one that will recline the best in forward facing mode and fit will in my car. If anyone has any experience I would love the advice.

I am a sinlge mom so getting him in and out of the car is VERY hard on my back. I have him on the passenger side in the back. I don't like with the marathon that I had to lift him up and over the side. With the Travller Plus it is nice to just sit him down in it. It looks like that might be a problem with the Signo. I am not sure if the Radian will install in my car and if it will recline enough. So the True Fit might be a good in between?? I have a 97 Chysler Cirrus if that helps.

We will be flying on June 28th so I really need to get one before then.

Sorry this was so long.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

ADS

Mama!

Hi! :)

I'm also the mom of a SN tube fed kiddo. My DS is almost 39 inches, and 33-35 lbs.

So roughly, they're the same height with a few lbs difference.

We use the Recaro Signo after going through many seats in our quest to Rear face as long as possible.

The Signo has great headwings that are lifted up but support the head to prevent flop. Its also fairly reclined anyway because of the shape of the seatback, so it helps with that too.

We have very little problem with tone in this seat.

We've tried many others , including the Como, Alpha Omega, you name it.

I would call Britax about the broken base. That shouldn't happen.:thumbsdown:

can you take your TP to a Tech in your area? Someone here can help you find a certified tech who might k now a few tricks to get it installed.

BW1426

What kind of vehicle are you driving. You can probably get a top tether installed in it...possibly even for free.

crunchierthanthou

We have used a Britax Marathon since he outgrew his infant seat around a year old. Rear facing until he outrew it length wise. I had it slightly reclined in the forward postion. He is not walking and has low tone CP. He has good head control but is low tone/weak in the trunk muscles.

Did you have the MA base mechanically reclined? It can only be reclined ff for children under 33 lbs. How much room did he have left in his MA?

The radian is rather upright and doesn't have much for side wings.

I think the True Fit would provide a good amount of support, but I don't know how long it will last- probably not more than a couple of years, max.

Have you looked at the EFTA? It has several ff recline settings.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
What was the issue with the TP? There are some tricks :) You can definitley get top tethers retrofitted in your car.

The Como or Signo is an excellent choice for children with low tone, since it has a great FF recline and has lots of support.

MOm2Blayne

Thanks. The Signo does look nice. Did you try the Radian at all?

I have a 1997 Chrysler Cirrus

Did you have the MA base mechanically reclined? It can only be reclined ff for children under 33 lbs. How much room did he have left in his MA?

Yes I had the base machanically reclined. I hadn't read the manual in a long time and didn't realize that it shouldn't be reclined FF after 33lbs. I think it is why the base ended up breaking :eek:

I did look at the EFTA but I think it only held up to 50lbs is that right? I was hoping to get something with a higher weight limit.

He still fit pretty comfortablly in his MA

The issues with the TP are that the selt belts are not long enough for the long route which is the only way it can be installed into a car with out tethers. I can't even remember now if it will install in with the short route.

That is great to hear that the tethers can be installed. What about latch bars? The TP fits in my moms car and we ride with her a lot as well so if nothing else I would like to get a new car seat for my car so we don't have to switch it back and forth all the time. I think that was another factor and why his MA broke. There is a baby boutique that I saw the Britax Regents for $198. If I could get tethers in my car and get it to fit that might be an option to have two car seats for each car.

I think I have ruled the Radian out so it is between the Signo and True Fit. I need a car seat before June 28th when we fly to Denver!

Last edited by a moderator:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have a 1997 Chrysler Cirrus

To retrofit your tether anchors call Chrysler and have them refer to the Technical Service Bulletin 23-08-00 Revision A for details on free retrofitting for certain older cars.

For your car, you have three anchor points in the rear filler panel. The part number of all three is 04519077AB.

I did look at the EFTA but I think it only held up to 50lbs is that right? I was hoping to get something with a higher weight limit.

Yeah, but the top harness height is higher than the Marathon. So since most seats are outgrown by torso height rather than weight he may get more use out of the EFTA than a Marathon. And it has a forward facing recline position.

That is great to hear that the tethers can be installed. What about latch bars?

Nope. Only a couple of years of Audi/VW cars can be retrofitted for LATCH bars.

HTH

Wendy

TerisBoys

One point nobody has touched on - neither the Traveller Plus nor the Regent are airline approved - they're simply too wide for an airplane seat.

Anything else that's been listed is ok though.

KristiD761

Senior Community Member
I think the Signo does a great job wiht the recline...as he grows your pediatrician should be able to help with documenting the need for help with transport and be sure and talk to your insurer about some reimbursement with that...all they can say is no, but I have heard of some who have allowed it as part of the wellness benefit...

babychild taxi

Hi,

You may also want to talk to your/an Occupational Therapist. I work with them and I know they have taken families to the carseat store area to try out different seats to ensure a proper fit based on the child's needs.

They may also be able to write supporting documentation towards the cost of the seat.

HTH

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Hi,

You may also want to talk to your/an Occupational Therapist. I work with them and I know they have taken families to the carseat store area to try out different seats to ensure a proper fit based on the child's needs.

They may also be able to write supporting documentation towards the cost of the seat.

HTH

If you have a tech with SN training & experience in your area (most hospitals have one) they will be able to work with your PT or OT to find the best seat for you.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I think the Signo does a great job wiht the recline...as he grows your pediatrician should be able to help with documenting the need for help with transport and be sure and talk to your insurer about some reimbursement with that...all they can say is no, but I have heard of some who have allowed it as part of the wellness benefit...

SN car seats can also be classified as durable medical equipment. Most therapists are familiar with letters of justification.

Another special needs seat to consider is the Columbia. It doesn't need a tether until 65 lbs. It probably isn't an option for your upcoming trip, but the child size is airline approved. I don't have alot of experience with it, but it isn't nearly as heavy as an MA or Special Tomato (another airline approved SN seats) and it's been around forever.

http://www.adaptivemall.com/colorseat.html

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC