Anyone else get Frontier to install well w/ SBP?

essnce629

Before I got the Frontier I was prepared to have a battle trying to get it installed. Especially since I needed to at first install it in a 1990 Corolla that only had a lapbelt in the center. I thought for sure that it would NOT install at all using the SBP.

But man was I surprised and actually shocked when it installed rock-solid in less than a minute in both the '90 Corolla and '02 Accord using the SBP. In the Corolla it was in the center with a lap belt only and in the Accord it is outboard using a lap/shoulder belt. I haven't even tried to install it using the LBP yet since it went in so easily with SBP and I've never installed any carseat using a LBP (even my Regent has installed fine in every car I've tried it in with SBP only). Am I an oddball or something? I just made sure the buckle stalk pulls up into the Frontier's belt path and then made sure to tighten the belt by pulling the excess through the slit in the cover to get out all the slack in the lap portion of the belt (like you would do if you were tightening it using LATCH). Is this what everyone else does? I can get a tight install without even twisting the buckle stalks down, but I ended up twisting it down about 1 1/2 turns in the Corolla and 2 turns down in the Accord just so it's flush with the seat back. And they're long belt stalks-- like 3" long each.

It just seems odd that I keep reading that people are getting inches of side to side movement using the SBP. It almost seems like my Frontier installed too easy using the SBP, but I swear it's in there with a rock-solid install and absolutely no side to side movement. Weird.

ADS

fyrfightermomma

Yep in all 3 cars I tried. My 02 Impala, my DH's 03 Taurus, and my parents 06 Town and Country minivan (3rd row outboard). Not any problem. Did it the same way you did, line the buckle up with the hole, pull it through the front. Super easy for me!

I was super impressed!! It was easier for me than LBP. LATCH was awesome in all the cars except the T & C. For some reason it wouldn't get tight, but SBP did

HTH

Last edited:

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I installed it in the 3rd row outboard of my Odyssey using SBP and got a good install. It was 900 degrees outside so I didn't spend a ton of time doing it but I tried it out for someone else! I cannot get it in the captains chairs using SBP. I've tried and simply cannot make it work. If the buckle is behind the Frontier (like it is in my 3rd row) the SBP is definetly doable. If it's to the side it's much harder. The angle makes it almost impossible to get all the slack out of the belt.

zactayaus

My Frontier installed like a dream outboard passenger side 2nd row using SBP in my 2000 Suburban. Like the OP I was ready for the battle and when I got a rock solid install in a couple of minutes I thought I must have done something wrong. I can not install it in the center 2nd row because I can't get a tight install and it a lap belt only so no LBP option. In DH's 2006 Silverado Crew Cab I could not use SBP in any position and it was a no go for LBP in the center. Latch worked great and LBP worked great in the outboard positions.

ZephyrBlue

Nope, and I wish I could. Mine will not install SBP in the captains chairs of my 05 Grand Caravan, no way no how. Actually, I can't get a rock-solid install w/it LBP, either. Haven't tried 3rd row yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC