1992 Dodge Grand Caravan

kidrepair

My hubby has found us a van, of course it's like older than dirt, but I shouldn't complain, it's in great condition, anyone know about tether anchors, how many and where, or where I can get this info. I know there are no headrests in the back row,if my oldest DD grows out of her hbb anytime soon we can put her in one of the captain chairs,but by the time we have to worry about kids out of seats we should be able to afford a newer one.

ADS

TerisBoys

You're in luck - a Caravan SHOULD be able to have at least 4, if not all 5 rear positions retro-fitted with anchors. I'll let someone with a LATCH manual chime in with parts numbers.

FWIW - my best friend drives a 93 Caravan with over 200k miles on a 4cyl engine, and it's still going strong. Good little vans if they're maintained right!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The '92 Grand Caravan can be retrofitted at a Dodge dealership service dept. with four top tether anchors for free according to the Dodge section of the LATCH manual, which is handily online at: http://www.saferidenews.com/LATCH_manaul_updates/DODGE_6_07_web.pdf A printout of this .pdf might come in very handy to show the service dept. as other members have discovered to get the retrofitting process going smoothly. :)

A tether anchor can be retrofitted in the second row center and driver's side, and the third row center and driver's side. The part number is 05017529AB and the relevant Chrylser/Dodge service bulletin for free retrofitting is Technical Service Bulletin 23-008-00 Rev. B (all of the part numbers and bulletin number info. is directly from the section of the LATCH manual I posted above for you). :)

kidrepair

Thank you guys, that was quick, now I am freaking a little bit though, I just read one of the posts below about replacing seat belts, do you think the seatbelts would be safe on a van this old? I mean I guess I shouldn't worry, I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee so not much newer and I never gave it a second thought as to whether the belts were safe or not, just assumed if I kept my kids in the safest seats I could then I was doing as much as I could to keep them safe, now I am wondering about the safety of the belts. Sorry one more question, it says center and driver side middle row, but what if you have captains chairs, then only one can be installed on drivers side? Thats the way I am reading it. I almost wished it had two benches, seems easier to get in and out. Thanks again for that link.

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm not sure if the tether anchor retrofitting would vary if the van has captain's chairs vs. bench seating in the second row because the LATCH manual isn't making a distinction between those types of second row seating. Maybe another '92 Caravan or Grand Caravan owner who went through the tether anchor retrofitting process could chime in to clarify (I can't think of a particular member off the top of my head with a Caravan to ping with the question, sorry).

IMHO the seatbelts should be inspected at this point to see if they're in good, working condition and to verify they stay latched when buckled. You can also probably do a CarFax.com search of the car's history (using the vehicle identification number aka the VIN) to check on whether it was involved in a crash and if so also consider replacing the seatbelts if any available service records don't indicate they were replaced post-crash. I'd also suggest being leery of the vehicle altogether if you find out it was ever involved in a crash for that matter. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC