Latch anchors on 03' ford taurus

U

Unregistered

I have and 03 taurus w/o the original owner's manual. It has 4 latch anchors in back and I don't know if I should use latch in center position. I just got two radians, and outboard with latch isn't so good. one is rfing and the other ffing. I got a good install ff with belt and shelf liner outboard, but the latch is extremely tight in center, I just don't know if I can use it. Anyone know? Thanks alot.

ADS
U

Unregistered

obtw, I need to have rfing in center position as I have to sit with my 3 month old who has some issues with relfux/choking. So do I need to instal with belt or latch in 03 taurus?

Dillipop

Most cars with latch do not allow a center install if there are not 6 anchors across. It depends on the manufacturer of the car, though. Your best bet is to call the customer service number for Ford, not the dealership (they are usually useless) but the manufacturer number. You can probably find it on their national website. They will take your year, make and model and look up the information in their database. At the same time, you can request a new owner's manual. I would think it would be free, but there might be a minimal cost for it. Good luck, and I would use the seatbelts until you find out for sure.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Using the belt is just as safe as LATCH - perhaps more so for the middle since you don't have the owner's manual to know if LATCH in the center is even allowed ... you could call the vehicle & carseat manufacturers (Ford might or might not say that it depends on the carseat manufacturer & IME Britax usually says it's OK so long as the vehicle manufacturer says it's OK & so long as the LATCH hooks are less than 20" apart).

Also, a 5-point harness RF seat is still very safe outboard if you can't install in the center with LATCH & just don't seem to get a tight enough install with the belt ;)

menfusse

i actually didnt know about the center seat thing. i had always used it with my first, then came #2. i have to sit in back with her because of choking issues and sitting between 2 seats is not ideal. the anchors aren't more than 17 inches, prolly more like 16 in apart. i will try with belt tomorow until i can find out for sure about it. thanks.

U

Unregistered

Im pretty certain ford allows the center 2 to be used in the taurus and that that is why it is positioned like that?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
They did in the '05 I rented, but they might not in the '03 ... don't know for sure without the manual or calling Ford :eek:

skaterbabs

If there are only 4 hooks, even if it *is* allowed to use the center position that leaves you with only ONE usable LATCH position because you cannot attach 2 car seats to one anchor.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
True - I usually only use LATCH as a last resort, though anyway - I like the seat belts :cool:

Also, not sure why I'm confused other than missing dinner & staying up way past my bedtime procrastinating on a college assignment ... but, menfusse, did you write the original post? Or, well, it seems not ... are you checking on this kind of vehicle for the OP? :rolleyes:

menfusse

Sorry, I did write the original posts. I hadn't registered yet. I guess that was confusing. The way I have the seats in now is FF outboard with belt and RF center with latch. But I had no idea that you couldn't use center if you only had 4 anchors. I had never been able to use the latch anchors outboard in my car because they are just positioned awkward. the seatbelt buckle gets in the way and the top tether anchor is so off center with latch installion outboard that it just doesnt tighten well. So i had always used belts for outboard and latch for center. The center anchors are just positioned so well it seemed like that you could use them and I always got a tight fit. Oh well, I guess I will go with the belt until I can find out for sure from ford.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I know exactly what you mean! I was bummed out I couldn't use LATCH center because I just couldn't get it right with the belt (although the belt outboard was much better than LATCH) ... the manual was also very vague & the local tech called Ford, then Britax -- it was OK for my year & model, but it was a different year/model than yours. Good luck! Oh & while you ask FOrd about the LATCH, make sure you ask for a new manual, too :)

LuvBug

Ill ask my sister what year her taurus is, she can use the center latch in it and it is either an 03/04 possibly 05. So dont know if it will help.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
On many newer Ford vehicles, including recent Taurus models, Ford does designate the center position as a LATCH position. The owner's manual is usually pretty clear about this if you can get a copy. It will also state that you may not use LATCH for the center position and an outboard position at the same time, as that would require two attachments to share one anchor.

I am pretty certain that you are OK installing with LATCH in the center next to an outboard seat installed with the seatbelt in a 2003 Taurus sedan. That assumes both seats fit well, of course. Even so, you will need to verify this with the manual for your year and model to be sure.

menfusse

I have two radians, so they fit well together. I have a dealership looking it up for me. The national customer service # was useless, they just told me to buy a manual. I never got one to begin with as I bought the car as a demo. Anyway, I will let everyone know when I find out for sure for future reference. The achors are positioned so that is seems completely usable. I know alot of cars with 4 anchors only, the center two are way far apart. I get a totally imobile fit with latch and rfing tether, I mean not even a bit of a wiggle. The belt allows for a little movement no matter what I do, although it is probably acceptable, definately not more than an inch. But if you can get no movement, then go with that. I just hope you can use the center position. Thanks everyone. I will let you know what I find out.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'm sure you're fine. The center position was designated LATCH for the last generation of Taurus models; I've done a number of installs in them and checked the manual each time to be sure.

I suggest getting the manual anyway mostly to assure you and just in case Ford made any unusual exceptions for particular years or trim levels.

menfusse

I got the all clear from Ford today. The tech. said that Ford actually reccomends that when using latch use center position. The guy said that although the outboard anchors meets safety standards, the cente two provide the most strength and stability. My question is why did they even bother with others. I knew something was funky because I never got any of my kid's seats tight enough with latch outboard. So anyway, the center position is fine with latch. Thought I would let everyone know. Thanks for all your info.

U

Unregistered

regarding manuals

I know that Ford & Mercury aren't exactly the same--but they kinda are. anyway, my mother bought an '03 Sable last year...and she had to order and pay for a new manual. Is that odd?

menfusse

Yup, they told me I would have to buy one too. I should have pushe the dealership to get me one when I bought mine. I bought mine in 04', but they did something with the manual, and I never got one. So if I want one, I have to pay like 30 bucks for it. No thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC