Safe mid size SUV (w/folding 3rd row)?

mamaofthree

We're tired of the Sienna. Realistically, we should keep it a few more years, but we may get tempted by something else. What are my options for a mid size SUV? We want something where we can do three across the second row, but still have a 3rd row for emergency carpool situations.

Kimberly

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
We got tired of our Sienna too and got an Acura MDX(2007+). I can do anything three across(even with a Regent in the mix) and I still have the third row if I need it. LATCH in all 3positions in the center row and top tethers for all locations. It gets fab crash test ratings and is a blast to drive for a grocery getter. We haven't looked back once...

mamaofthree

Oooh yeah, my brother has one, and its nice. We are very loyal to Honda and Toyota, but I'm open to other vehicles if the price is right too. Do you know if the Pilot has 3 sets of LATCH on the middle row? Thanks!!

Kimberly

My friends are still making fun of me but I bought a 2007 Hyundai Veracruz. I have 3 daughters and they fit 3 across even with one in a car seat and there is a third row. This vehicle comes with a 10 Year 100,000 mile warranty. I got mine with the saddle leather and the limited trim and I love it. I think it was road and track or motor trend that liked this car better than the Lexus RX. It was a great economical choice for me and my family. My wife drives the Honda Odyssey.

Hyudai Veracruz
asset_upload_file513_15561.jpg

Hyundai Veracruz

SillyLily

I had a Buick Rendezvous and it was nice. You can pick up a used one for super cheap. The Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia/Saturn is really nice, and the third row seat is much more usable than a lot of the fold down seats.

A lot of people like the Honda Pilots, but I wasn't impressed. It seemed kind of outdated to me. The mazda CX9 is really nice and peppy, and has a third row seat. I almost bought a CX7 (no third row) because it was a lot of fun to drive (not nearly as fun as my car, though!). I think the Chrysler Pacifica has a third row, but I don't know much about the car.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I personally don't like the 3rd rows in the Pilot or Highlander. They are tiny plus no cargo room behind the 3rd row when in use. Plus the Pilot rides rougher then my Tahoe. I am not sure about the MDX as I have not seen one with the 3rd row up.

The GM crossovers GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave and the new Chevy Traverse (coming out in late Aug.) all have full 3rd rows that can actually hold an adult passenger comfortably plus have cargo room behind the 3rd row when in use. It only has LATCH in the 2nd row outboard but top tethers in all 2nd row positions plus a top tether in the 3rd row. Several members on here have the GM crossover and have gotten many different set up with 3 across. Here is great post with many pictures of 3 across in it just to give you an idea. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=20869&highlight=Outlook

The Mazada CX-9 too appears to have plenty of room too but I have heard they do not allow carseats on the 3rd row. So, It would have to be older kids that are not in carseats/boosters.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
We got tired of our Sienna too and got an Acura MDX(2007+). I can do anything three across(even with a Regent in the mix) and I still have the third row if I need it. LATCH in all 3positions in the center row and top tethers for all locations. It gets fab crash test ratings and is a blast to drive for a grocery getter. We haven't looked back once...
:yeahthat: I've got an '08 MDX and it's fantastic. Very nice and luxurious, and drives like a sports sedan. The '09 Pilot would be one to look into as well; it's on the same platform as the '07+ MDX. Although not the same horsepower as they put a smaller engine, I believe, but it's got some awesome new features.

The GM lambda 3 (Enclave, Acadia, Outlook) have decent seating inside, but it drives like a slug (especially compared to the MDX). If you're trying to get away from the van feel, these GM's drive very much like a van and not at all like a sports sedan.

The '08 Highlander was our top choice along side the MDX, but once we drove the MDX it sold us. The Highlander has a softer ride and is definitely more boring looking. Plus, there are NO tether anchors in the 3rd row (MDX has 2 in the 3rd row for both seating positions). I did like that the Highlander had vents overhead for the 2nd row, which is really nice for RF seats. But, the centre vents in the rear of the MDX seems to be keeping the kids warm/cool enough. And my older DD, who is no longer in a booster, LOVES the 2nd row heated seats in the MDX in winter or to warm you up for a bit on cool, rainy days.

Don't waste your time looking at the BMW X5 because the 3rd row is like a rumble seat and my 4'9" child couldn't see over the 2nd row in front of her, and DH couldn't put the 2nd row all the way back without crushing his knees.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
True the GM crossovers don't drive like a sports sedan b/c well it's not a sports sedan. Plus they are longer then most crossovers (longer then a Tahoe). They are getting a new motor in the '09 model which is going to be more fuel effiecent (which currently is one of the top picks for crossovers) plus more horsepower/torque.

I can't say anything bad about the MDX as I have never driven a new one (have to old bodystyle and not impressed) but will have to check one out but I know I won't be buying one. We are loyal American brand manufactures.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
True the GM crossovers don't drive like a sports sedan b/c well it's not a sports sedan.
See, that's the cool thing about the MDX, it isn't a sports sedan either but DOES drive like one! ;)

I'd totally be interested in checking out the new engine in the GM's when it comes out. I had actually never, ever thought I'd even test drive a GM, so they are obviously doing something right as the lambda 3 intrigued me enough to get out and drive one! I definitely think anyone interested in an SUV with 3rd row, should take one out for a test drive.

How a vehicle drives is not at the top of everyone priority list though. I am just amazed at how the MDX corners (doesn't lean like other SUV's) and how when you have to break fast the whole vehicle moves lower rather than just the front end dipping forward. It's very responsive and handles exceptionally well.

Citrine

I have a 06 pilot and I love it. The 2rd row does have top teethers in all seats. the middle seat would need a seat belt and not a latch bc you are unable to share the latch with the other seats. I am able to get a Britax Wizard, Britax Regant and Graco Safe seat in the 2rd row. Or instead of the Regant a Graco Nautilus. In the 2009, when you have the 3rd row up, you have 3cubic feet of trunk space. Which in mine we have like a foot. We only need the 3rd row when we have family visit. Also if you have 2 car seats, in order to get to the 3rd row, the car sets need to be in the middle and behind the driver in order to be able to get to the third row. I know the toyota suv had the option of removing the middle seat to get to the third row, which I was hoping the 09 honda pilot would have but does not. I get about 20mi to the gallon while driving half highway half city. Or about 350 on one tank. It all depends on driving habbits but thats what i get and I am very happy with that. Good luck in your decision and any car you are serious in, take the car seats with you and strap them in to see if that vehical will work with your seats.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

We have a 01 Suzuki XL7 that is totally small but great for zipping around town. We bought a 05 Ford Explorer in February. I can get three convertible seats comfortably. The Radian fits like it was made for that car. There are tether spots in all five seat positions (middle and third row) and latch in the middle seat outboard positions. We like it and all of us fit if we use our third row.

jdchic3

Oh my goodness! I love that popular mechanics comparison! I'd still have a tough time picking between the Mazda and the Lambda trio though!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Oh my goodness! I love that popular mechanics comparison! I'd still have a tough time picking between the Mazda and the Lambda trio though!

I could not agree more. The only thing that is going to keep me from the Mazda is them not allowing the use of child restraints on the 3rd row. I am not sure if this applies to boosters too but there is no top tether for a harnessed seat in the 3rd row.

I guess I will have to read the manual of one when we decide to get another suv/cuv. First we are getting a sedan that will be mine for about 2yrs then become dh so he can park the truck. Now if he would just make up his mind on what vehicle he wants I would be happy.

mamaofthree

This thread is becoming very informative. It's nice to hear real opinions of how the diff vehicles drive and how roomy they are/aren't.

The Acura MDX is out- out of our price range. I like to buy new, or almost new. I see lots of Mazda CX9's around, never knew they had a 3 row option. Not even being able to use boosters in the back wouldn't work though. If we got a Pilot, it would be the new 09. I really want to check one out IRL. My brother has an 06, and yeah, no cargo room with the 3rd row up. The photos on the Honda website do look like there's more room in the new ones, and like theres a cargo lid over the floor. I'm curious how deep it is.

We've checked out the GM crossovers. Liked them, but didn't love them. If they improve fuel efficiency that would make me look again though. Dh didn't like how you can't see well out the small back window. I didn't notice, because I'm so short that I really have to stand up in the van to back up. I guess I'm used to not being able to see well out of any vehicle without maneuvering myself around a lot.

It seems like some crossovers/SUV's have 3 rows, but can't be used for 3 across situations. Doesn't the new Highlander have a tiny middle seat in the second row? And the new Chevy will have 2 seats in each row? I'd rather keep all three kids in the 2nd row, and have the third row available for carpooling emergencies. BUT, I do want a decent third row just in case we have another child. Not in the plans at all right now, but we could change our mind or have a surprise. Then again, maybe I should just buy something with 2 rows (this is what dh wants, I'm not sure I could downsize that much), save money on the vehicle and gas, and just get something bigger later on if I needed to or wanted to. Aaahhhh, too many options!

Kimberly

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
And the new Chevy will have 2 seats in each row?

The new Chevy verison will be available with a 2nd row bench just like it's cousin models. The 3rd row is a full 3 passenger 3rd row but no headrest in the center position. The l/s belt comes from the ceiling like in the Pilot/Highlanders. This way it's up and out of the way when the 3rd row needs to be folded down.

I too was very disappointed to hear the CX-9 couldn't have child restraints on the 3rd row. I do want to find out if this pertains to boosters also. If I could use boosters on the 3rd row that would be fine for me since my youngest is about to be 5. They would be in the 2nd row majority of the time anyways in Regents. But, With grandparents visiting I move them to the 3rd row in Parkways in my Tahoe. This way grandparents are not having to climb over car seats which is not easy for them anymore. LOL!

I can't even believe I am looking at a Ford Escape hybrid as my next vehicle. I have 2.5yrs before I buy "my" next vehicle so we will see what comes about with gas prices plus what is introduced to the market. The next vehicle we buy later this year will be a sedan (Malibu or G8) which I will drive for 2yrs and then it will become dh's.

lorinick

Oooh yeah, my brother has one, and its nice. We are very loyal to Honda and Toyota, but I'm open to other vehicles if the price is right too. Do you know if the Pilot has 3 sets of LATCH on the middle row? Thanks!!

Kimberly

Acura is Honda. Just a more expensive devision and Lexus is Toyota. Acrua MDX is nice Toyota highlander and the Pilot. How about the Ford Edge?

mamaofthree

Acura is Honda. Just a more expensive devision and Lexus is Toyota. Acrua MDX is nice Toyota highlander and the Pilot. How about the Ford Edge?

Hah, i never knew that! I guess I just never paid any attention to Acura or Lexus cause I can't afford them, lol. I can barely afford Hondas or Toyotas, but I love them and they are reliable. I'm scared to stray to American made, even though they are cheaper.

Kimberly

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC