Safe mid size SUV (w/folding 3rd row)?

mamaofthree

Is it just me or does the CX-9 seem kind of expensive? I think it's the same price as the Pilot? I really want to go test drive these two for comparison. If anyone else does it before me I'd love a full report, lol.

Kimberly

ADS

Melanie

Alright, so when someone here test drives the CX-9 and reads the manual they need to report back to the rest of us!

I read the manual, but didn't drive it. There are no top tethers in the third row, which is what keeps it from being able to hold car seats. I don't remember it saying anything about not putting boosters there. You wouldn't be able to use one with LATCH obviously. No car seats in the third row was the deal killer for me.

jdchic3

Is it just me or does the CX-9 seem kind of expensive? I think it's the same price as the Pilot? I really want to go test drive these two for comparison. If anyone else does it before me I'd love a full report, lol.

Kimberly

It does seem to run about the same price, at least based on the base price. But you're getting a larger vehicle when you get the CX-9. I don't know if you looked at that link to the popular mechanics reviews, but the CX-9 clearly has much more room than four of the other five SUVs.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It does seem to run about the same price, at least based on the base price. But you're getting a larger vehicle when you get the CX-9. I don't know if you looked at that link to the popular mechanics reviews, but the CX-9 clearly has much more room than four of the other five SUVs.
Except that is the pre '09 Pilot in that article. The '09 Pilot is now on the same platform as the new MDX so has changed. I can't speak for whether or not it has more room than the old Pilot or the CX-9, but it's a possibility.

I totally would have considered the CX-9 if it would have towed more than 3500 lbs. It's a very poor tow rating for a vehicle of that size, especially when smaller SUV's can tow 3500#.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
That's a big towing diff though, so I see why some people can't get the hybrid, but do most people that drive SUV's really tow things? I know I don't/wouldn't.
I don't know. I know that one of the reasons we were looking at SUV's is because we needed something that would tow, but didn't want a truck that was even worse on gas mileage and not as family friendly since we only have one vehicle. I'd think that if we had no use for towing we would have considered large sedans with better fuel ratings (but since we weren't in that position, I can't really say for sure!).

jewlsvern

Kimberly

The base model CX-9 starts at 29,000 roughly. I know nothing about the Pilot as we only drives Mazdas.

jdchic3

Another thing is that we'll have to see how much the 2009 Pilot starts out at. It may be higher than the current model.

michele_lee1972

We just bought a 2008 Ford Taurus X and I love it. We were looking at the GMC Acadia and the Chrysler Pacifica also. The Taurus is very afordable even with a lot of the "extras". It has the option of either a bench seat or captains chairs for the second row. I opted for the captains chairs so that I could put both car seats in the second row and still access the third row without having to move the seats or car seats. So far it has exceeded all my expectations.

Melanie

Yesterday DH and I looked at the Mazda 9, Mazda 5 and the 08 & 09 Honda Pilots. We didn't drive any of them...just poked around and looked at space, LATCH, etc. I also didn't really look at price or anything else that I could look up myself when I got home.

Mazda 9 - to me, wasn't as nice IRL as I was expecting. The dash was cool & sporty. The body style is the sportiest. The third row felt smaller than the Pilot. I think it's advertised to have more cargo room than the Pilot, but the room behind the 3rd row is smaller than the 09 Pilot. No LATCH anchors (not even top anchors) in the third row. A booster should work in the third row - but I think I'll want a latchable one when the time comes so doesn't work for me.

Mazda 5 - overall could be great for the right family, but doesn't work for mine. The third row is very small. My 5'4" DD wouldn't be comfortable back there unless the middle seat was all the way forward...and then a car seat wouldn't fit in the seat in front of her. Of course, no real trunk space behind the third row. I loved the sliding doors.

08 Pilot vs 09 Pilot - The 2009 seems to have fixed some of the shortcomings of of the 2008. The 09 sits up a bit higher. IMO, the 09 looks more aggressive and the 08 looks more grocery getter. 08 has LATCH outboard 2nd row seats and top tethers in all 3 seats in 2nd & third rows. 09 still has top tethers for all seats in 2nd & third rows. 2nd row now has 3 sets of lower LATCH anchors (I think someone else said you can use all three at the same time). One outboard third row seat has lower LATCH. 09 has more space behind the third row. The covered storage compartment under the cargo area is also larger. The headrests must be removed to fold the third row in the 08 (they store in a small compartment in the space under the cargo area). The 09 headrests slide down into the seat so they don't need to be removed...freeing up valuable cargo space.

09 Pilot was my favorite by far.

Melanie

Here's a decent article comparing 6 of the mid-size SUV's with 3rd row http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4220226.html For each vehicle, they actually have a video showing you trunk space with and without 3rd row up. Keep in mind that the Pilot they tested is NOT the new '09 which is on a new platform. Thus, not sure how the new Pilot compares with the rest now.

Just want to add that the 09 Pilot has more room in the cargo area than the version they tested.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I don't think the 2009 Mazda CX-9 is out yet, but does anyone know if it will have LATCH in the 3rd row at all? Thanks!!

Kimberly

The current '08 model does not have LATCH or top tethers alone in the 3rd row. Unless the '09 model has gone through a complete redo which I doubt since it's a new model then no it won't most likely.

rosey2007

I would recommend the Hyundai that was mentioned in an earlier post. I have had two Hyundai Elantras and you get a lot for a little money. I have also heard that Hyundai(not the ones from the 80's)is more reliable then many of the other brands of cars out there. The Hyundai Veracruz is Hyundai's highest priced SUV, but you do get a lot for the money. Hyundai also make Kia which might be a good choice for you.

MandiRN

Okay, I just read the child restraint section in the 2009 Honda Pilot manual.

For LATCH:

So, BOTH lower anchors and tether anchors are supplied for THREE seating positions in the 2nd row and for the passenger side 3rd row seat. :thumbsup:

Then, the 3rd row also has tether anchors only for the other 2 seats in the 3rd row. And they are located at the back of the seats so you don't have to have a tether strap running through your cargo area. :thumbsup:

Wow, the '09 Pilot is looking GREAT!

I think it's great that Honda added LATCH to the center of the second row. My 04 doesn't have it. I do however think that the 09 is ugly. :twocents: If I wanted a Ridgeline, I'd buy one! I don't need the Pilot looking so much like it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC