Why Do Boosters Expire?

brooklynsmommy

I know and understand why. But someone I emailed about a VERY old seat emailed me back wanting to know (in a show me the proof/ reasoning why way). So lay it on me oh knowledgeable experts!

ADS

MomToEliEm

I think with boosters, the main reason for them to expire is due to changing regulations and safety standards. Without expiration dates on them, older less-safe boosters may stay on the market for a long time. Shield boosters were very popular a few years ago. Luckily many are starting to expire now so hopefully fewer are being used. If these shield boosters didn't have expiration dates, they could stay on the market for a long time. Studies have proven that they are not the safest booster for the child so they stopped being made.

Boosters may still be affected by plastic degradation. The lapbelt portion of the booster (typically the armrests) need to be strong enough to keep the lapbelt down during a crash. If they were brittle they may break off raising the seatbelt up on the child's belly. The shoulder belt positioned on a seatbelt may also break off if the plastic is brittle causing the seatbelt to not fall correctly on the child at the right time.

If a car crash occurs and en expired booster seat is in use and fails for some reason, the crash victim or his family does not have many options in regards to suing the manufacturer since once a seat is expired.

dhardawa

When the laws in our state changed, there was a lot of talk about whether or not boosters were load bearing. In the end, most manufacturers said their seats were load bearing. So, if they are load bearing and the plastic degraged the seat may not perform correctly.

leighi123

In my tech class today, both of the instructors said that boosters shouldnt expire as long as 'they look ok'. I dunno, that bugged me.
I would expect it to break down in a crash, the same way that an expired carseat would, and that would be bad.

skaterbabs

Yes. The booster actually provides support for the soft bones of the pelvis, which is one of the reasons it's good to leave kids in boosters until puberty even if they pass the five step test.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC