S/O: Child in front or back?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
A while ago we had a member with six kids who was trying to fit them all in her Suburban. Her older (9yo?) was in the 3rd row centre in just the lap belt. There was also no head rest. Someone suggested he would be safer in the front seat.

I *think* some jurisdictions have laws saying children must travel in the back seat. How could you respond if you were pulled over with a child in the front when there was an open spot in the back that was *legally* (as opposed to "well") equipped to hold a passenger?

Is it preferable to have someone in a 3-point belt in the front with head rest as opposed to lap-only in the back with no head rest? Would it change if there was a head rest in the back?

Thanks for playing!

ADS

drey

A while ago we had a member with six kids who was trying to fit them all in her Suburban. Her older (9yo?) was in the 3rd row centre in just the lap belt. There was also no head rest. Someone suggested he would be safer in the front seat.

I *think* some jurisdictions have laws saying children must travel in the back seat. How could you respond if you were pulled over with a child in the front when there was an open spot in the back that was *legally* (as opposed to "well") equipped to hold a passenger?

Is it preferable to have someone in a 3-point belt in the front with head rest as opposed to lap-only in the back with no head rest? Would it change if there was a head rest in the back?

Thanks for playing!

Honestly, I'd try to re-configure all 6 kids so that the oldest is in a seat with a 3-point belt. A younger kiddo in a carseat can go in the lapbelt position in the 3rd row.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Honestly, I'd try to re-configure all 6 kids so that the oldest is in a seat with a 3-point belt. A younger kiddo in a carseat can go in the lapbelt position in the 3rd row.

Oh, I know in that particular situation there were other solutions, I'm just wondering in a more general way. What if your car had only lap-belts in the rear? What if you're in Canada and the only tethered spots are the lap-shoulder spots and they're both in use for FF harnessed seats? You know, worst/best-case scenario kinda stuff. :question:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Personally? I'd put my child in a lap-only seat belt before putting him in the front. I know that's not the popular perspective around here, but from what I've been able to find, a lap-only belt in the back is still safer than a lap/shoulder belt in the front.

The headrest definitely wouldn't change it for me - in the back with l/s belt and no headrest still trumps the front.

I'd also put my child in a lap-only belt before putting them in a lap-only belt plus booster, regardless of the booster law.

JMO, of course - I'm wearing my "Mom" hat, not my "tech" hat. :D If this came up at a seat check event, I'd consult with the senior techs before discussing the options with the parents.

skaterbabs

I would do front seat with head support and lap/shoulder belt before back seat with no head support and lap only, but I'm thinking of just how likely head injuries become with no support and the upper body unrestrained. :( That and the spinal injuries from the lap belt....

I don't know what I'd recommend to a parent though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC