question about the Kyle David Miller foundation

Jules5

Hey!
I was just wondering about the Kyle David Miller foundation. I had read somewhere that they help lower income families get hwh seats, and I was wondering if any of you have either gone through them to get a seat, or know someone who has? I have 5 kiddos, and we're definately lower income, and I would LOVE to harness as long as I can, but we really cannot afford the seats that we would need to be able to. Thank you for any imput!

ADS

Jules5

Yeah, I'm just wondering if this site is definately legit.. I've been to the site and read it, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows someone who has gotten a seat from them.

Jules5

Thanks so much! My husband is always a little leary of intenet sites asking for addresses, and such, so I just wanted to make sure it was ok! :)

doriansmummy

Yes, I know 2 families personally (one my best friend and other the little girl I babysit for family) both got seats for there kiddos!:)

PixieEMT

Thanks so much! My husband is always a little leary of intenet sites asking for addresses, and such, so I just wanted to make sure it was ok! :)

They are ligit 100%! ;)

Under the "Families we've helped" the Buery family is an installation I did recently for local family. That's me in the picture...hence my screen name PixieEMT, I work on an ambulance. ;)

I recently purchased a Boulevard for my son from their store hipmonkey.com to support their foundation. :thumbsup:

PixieEMT

Yeah, I'm just wondering if this site is definately legit.. I've been to the site and read it, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows someone who has gotten a seat from them.

I almost forgot, contact Bombedier on here, she's involved with the foundation. :)

Mama!

They are ligit 100%! ;)

Under the "Families we've helped" the Buery family is an installation I did recently for local family. That's me in the picture...hence my screen name PixieEMT, I work on an ambulance. ;)

I recently purchased a Boulevard for my son from their store hipmonkey.com to support their foundation. :thumbsup:

Pixie, you're adorable :love: And that little girl looked so happy!

PixieEMT

Awwww thanks! The little girl "R" is a doll. Her mom reports that she is now staying in her seat and not pushing the harness off her shoulders! Probably b/c she is comfy in her "race car" seat! Ya!

Jules5

Thanks so much! I did fill out an application, and there is a pretty big waiting list. It's such a great site though! His story is so sad!!

Heather98012

I don't mean to be negative, but how does the KDM foundation screen applicants? I worry about people taking advantage of them. Not to imply the OP would do so, but I can see a lot of people out there with no integrity who would try to do it.

Does anyone know how they determine who gets a seat?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't mean to be negative, but how does the KDM foundation screen applicants? I worry about people taking advantage of them. Not to imply the OP would do so, but I can see a lot of people out there with no integrity who would try to do it.

Does anyone know how they determine who gets a seat?

You have to submit proof that you're getting some type of government assistance - medicaid, food stamps, welfare - that kind of thing. They put that in place because people were taking advantage of the foundation. Sad that people would take advantage of a charity. :(

As to the OP, I've also helped a family who got a seat through the foundation. (My family is the Davidson family. ;)) My family was one of a few test families in Canada. I suspect that even if they are wanting to branch into Canada now, it isn't doable with the long waiting list just for US families.

But yes, definitely legit, and they're making a difference. :D

littleangelfire

There's a pic in my signature below, that seat is from KDM. We got it last summer when my almost 3 year old outgrew all the usual 40lbs convertible seats. They do base it on whether you are receiving any government assistance, however, if I remember correclty, they are focusing on providing seats to those kids (like my big guy, lol) who are under 4 years old but have outgrownt the typical 40lbs seats. I think I remember bombadier saying they refer other families, who need regular 40lbs seats, or who are just interested in extended harnessing their average sized kids, to local programs that can help them with seats.

Heather98012

Soooo glad to know that the seats go to those who actually need them. I just knew people probably tried to take advantage of it....which is such a sad commentary on our society. Thankfully they screen the applicants!

When I got one they weren't asking for proof of assistance. But, at the time when I got mine my husband had literally no work, we were about to lose our house and everything! Now, things are going ALOT better for us and I try to give to the foundationw hen I can.
My sister was struggling bad too. So, I think she needed it.

My cousin's husband job (Carpenter) has been laid off and on now for 1 year and was in need of a seat for her 4 year old at the time. Hei s 5 1/2 and still super wiggly in the radian80, I can't imagine him in anything else. Thanks to the foundation! :)

dhardawa

You have to submit proof that you're getting some type of government assistance - medicaid, food stamps, welfare - that kind of thing. They put that in place because people were taking advantage of the foundation. Sad that people would take advantage of a charity. :(

As to the OP, I've also helped a family who got a seat through the foundation. (My family is the Davidson family. ;)) My family was one of a few test families in Canada. I suspect that even if they are wanting to branch into Canada now, it isn't doable with the long waiting list just for US families.

But yes, definitely legit, and they're making a difference. :D

Is that it? They don't want to see proof of income or anything? Wow. I make good money, but Max is still a foster child so he gets Medicaid (actually, he will continue to get Medicaid even after the adoption) so, technically, he would qualify for a seat through them?????

Don't worry, I have no intention of applying for one. I would feel horrible taking a seat from someone who couldn't afford one.

Jules5

Yeah they screen the applicants, and the application said that you have to prove you have govt assistance. See I thought that they wanted to get these hwh for kids that are over 4 yrs and 40lbs, since Safe Kids does donate convertible carseats to low income families but those only harness to 40lbs. Believe me if we didn't need it we wouldn't even consider it! I would love to just up and buy all of my kids carseats that harness til they are out of carseats, but it's just not financially possible for us at this time!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC