Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got my improved scenera harness

It is definately a different harness. It is stronger, less slippery, and thicker. I had a heck of a time getting it to thread through the buckle tongues. I really like it. It is not the twisty sort of strap. It is a great upgrade. I'd give the scenera a chance with the new harness.

Here's the pic.

Christine
    Last edited by christineka; 06-16-2008 at 10:46 AM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Got my improved scenera harness

Do you think a pic could show the difference between the old and new harness?

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

I just found the camera. I'll take some pictures and see if ds knows what he did with the old harness he was using as a belt.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I'll need to order one...
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Since we give 15-20 Scenera's away a month, Dorel sent us this huge box of these straps. I haven't played around with them to see how they work, but I've heard the same thing about them being way tougher. Glad it's a worthwhile fix. Too bad they don't send them out to all registered owners.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stretchy Glue View Post
    Too bad they don't send them out to all registered owners.
    Looking at that harness it looks like it's designed for a recall almost - you can see how much thicker and stronger the webbing is just from the different pattern in it.

So should we make predictions on when the recall is released?

(NHTSA was still in the preliminary investigation stage as of May according to a link someone posted in another thread. It's been there since February though, so should be moving to the next step right away if that helps with predictions )
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Yeah, my new Scenera has the new straps as well and I really like them. They seem very durable. I was surprised though because it doesn't have the spikes, so technically didn't need the new harness. They must be putting them on all the seats now.

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

CPS Technician

I can't wait for DH to get home. He has the car with the carseats in it today. I might call and request a new harness and see what happens.

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

It looks almost like a Britax harness.

Good luck with it. I'm thinking if you don't introduce a ton of slack into the harness by loosening it a lot, it should be fine. Just watch when you tighten it. Also , inspect the harness regularly.

After the poor CS I won't trust Dorel anymore. When the lady told me she would disconnect my call......that was the straw that broke the camel's back! DH and I agreed we will stick to Britax.

That looks like a nice harness.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

Quote Originally Posted by PixieEMT View Post
    It looks almost like a Britax harness.

Good luck with it. I'm thinking if you don't introduce a ton of slack into the harness by loosening it a lot, it should be fine. Just watch when you tighten it. Also , inspect the harness regularly.

After the poor CS I won't trust Dorel anymore. When the lady told me she would disconnect my call......that was the straw that broke the camel's back! DH and I agreed we will stick to Britax.
    I never loosened my harness, but it still got caught on the spikes. When you take the kid out of the seat, the harness slides down under the seat, so when you put the kid back in and pull the straps back out, sometimes it gets caught on the spikes. And then if you try to slide the strap back and forth to get the kids arms in easier, it slides (not very easily) across the spikes, and tada, it's wrecked.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Dorel was trying to say it was only a problem FF when the parents loosened the harness then pulled it tight.

Just a reminder so you don't end up with a tear or punture.

NHTSA was a bit shocked when I said my seat was RF only, always. I think what was happening RF the kick stand would flip open when uninstalling and reinstalling it in our other vehicle. It might have got caught under or pinched by the kick stand. I'm really not sure 100%.

Either way...Dorel needs to address this problem asap. It makes me ill thinking about how many children *might* be riding around with a harness torn or punctured.

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

I need to order a new harness.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

My seat has only been rfing. I haven't moved it much either. It had a 1 inch snag.

Senior Community Member all together ooky's Avatar

Makes me mad that I have to pay for a new harness because of their bad design. Since it's not in use right now I'm waiting to see if there's a recall. The harness on mine is good-looks new.
    ~Sonja~

Gwenllian: Born Feb. 7, 2004
    Eleanor: Born April 1, 2008
    Beatrice: Born Sept. 30, 2012

You don't have to pay anything. They send it totally free.

Unregistered

Does anyone know if new harnesses will also be available for other Dorel seats? Particularly, the Uptown?

Thanks! :-)

Senior Community Member CrabbyBunchX3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by christineka View Post
    You don't have to pay anything. They send it totally free.
    Are they sending them totally free if you haven't snagged your original harness?

I have the cheesy old harness on a sea with spikes and want it replaced. I felt it get hung up on the spikes just the other day, luckily no damage(yet).
    Mama to 3 great kids
    DD1 [2004] 47lbs, SK Monterey
    DS [2005] 40.9lbs, FF Cougar Regent
    DD2 [2007] 40.7lbs, FF Graco Nautilus
    Wishing someone would pass the water

Thanks for posting this & sharing pictures. It looks alot nicer! I was actually just coming here to see if anyone had yet recieved their new harness yet. I just got the order in for mine today. It is a DOM of 1-22-08 & it has the spikes as well. My harness was also damaged, but luckily not to bad just yet, and my seat has NEVER been FF. It has been a RF seat since I bought it. It also has only been uninstalled maybe 3 times max, so I am unsure of how it happened!

I just called them to see what they would say. I was prepared to fight them for a new seat, but decided that I would be nice since she was being nice. I also thought, what the heck, maybe it might actually work.
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!

Senior Community Member Brycen'sMommy's Avatar

How are you guys getting Dorel to send you a new harness? I'm a lurker but I noticed the other thread about the harness damage so I checked my seat and sure enough my harness was damaged too. So I called Dorel today and they told me that I had to email them pictures first before they sent me a new harness so they could verify what was happening. So now I'm sitting here with a completely unuseable seat while I wait for them to email me back and who knows when that will be. I'm not very happy at all.
    B-9y Incognito, L-7y Harmony Transit
    M-5y Britax Parkway, E-2y Graco Size4Me
    A-9mo Graco Milestone, S-6mo Graco CC35, Baby Girl Due 6/16
    All riding safely in a 2016 Ford Transit Wagon