My 'other' baby

U

Unregistered

Hi-
Okay this may be a little out of place here, but other than a crate, does anyone know how to secure a dog in a vehicle?

We are going on a trip out of state to visit family and we want to take our dog with us. We won't have room for her big crate, and she doesn't fit in a 'kitty carrier'. I've seen pet seat belts at the pet store. Have any of you used these?

My kids want her to just sit in the back seat between their boosters, but I'd hate to have her unrestrained in an accident -After all, she's my 'baby' too! :)

ADS
U

Unregistered

Depending upon the size of your dog a crate, just big enough to get in, turn around and lie down in, would be the safest. You can then belt it in or strap it down. If you can't do that I think the next safest would be to keep the dog behind a barrier and after that, a harness type restraint. I have one that I got to take my dogs to the vet but they can still move around in them just enough to get half way off the seat and then in an awkward position or stuck.
If the dog is in a crate it is safer from flying around and safer from other things that may go flying in an accident.
Good luck, last time my dogs went for a long ride it was with my husband in a moving van!! Two dogs, no harness,my husband (and a turtle) on a bench seat for 5 days. NOT optimum but thank goodness they all made it.
C.

U

Unregistered

A crate or a gate really aren't an option. We are taking our Grand Caravan.
The cargo area is FULL of luggage and a stroller, and we have 4 kids, so all of the car seats are full except the middle of the rear bench. I think a harness is my only option. (Makes me wish I had a Yorkie instead of a big old mutt! - Just kidding! - I wouldn't trade her for the world!)

U

Unregistered

OMG! - I love the one w/ LATCH!
How funny is that!
I will definitely check those out!
Thank you all for the advice ( And 'Trixie' thanks you too!)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, that one is easier to use & it's made by the same company that makes carseat harnesses ;) Just remember that vehicle LATCH hooks are only for up to 48#

U

Unregistered

She's a spaniel mix - around 26 lbs, so we should be good

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
papooses said:

I've used both of these, as well. The IMMI is easier to put on and to adjust. Plus, I tend to trust IMMI a little more, because they make parts for child safety seats (not sure if that's justified, but...).

I would be extremely cautious about using a dog harness with LATCh, however, because LATCh anchors are made to be used 2-at-a-time, and their maximum weight limit, even when you're using both of them, is 40-48 lb. The LATCh connector is sold separately, and the seatbelt works well, IME, so unless you've got an exceptional situation, I'd just go with the seatbelt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC