Dd's choice...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Dd weighs 33.5lbs fully clothed & full tummy, and with having bought the true fit that has a 35lb rf'ing limit, I gave her the choice of if she'd like to try riding rf'ing. She was actually quite excited about it and we ran a whole bunch of errands with her rf'ing today. She doesn't have much time before hitting the limit, but she's plateaued at this weight for awhile and I'm thinking she'll grow tired of rf'ing before she actually gains anymore weight. :thumbsup:

I'm actually very impressed with the leg room that dd has rf'ing in the True Fit. She's less than a month away from turning 4 and is about 39" with a 15" torso. She's pretty much even with position 3 - maybe a touch under, but I decided to use position 3 because she was so close to even that I got a much better fit of the harness there.

In the first couple pic's the seat is installed pretty close to the full 45* - I tried using one of the carseat levelers I had kicking around the house but it wouldn't compress enough to allow me to get it as upright as I wanted it. So she rode this way until our 2nd stop today, when I reinstalled it with the pool noodle in the backseat. She still has good leg room and she says she's very comfy. :thumbsup:

I will say that at the almost 45* angle, positioning the LATCH strap so that it didn't slide into the edge of the lock-off was a little difficult. I'm not so sure that it's the angle, but moreso that it slides down that direction faster before the belt is tightened, whereas it tends to sit more in place when the seat is more upright. I did get the lock-offs closed when it was more reclined, but I had to reinstall it once to do it.

So here's some pic's since I know we all love seeing pic's of kids in their seats. :)

DSC01364.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

(this one is initial install, you can see the line is close to level with ground)

DSC01367.jpg

upright install

DSC01368.jpg

DSC01373.jpg

DSC01384.jpg

This was just before I got her out of the truck tonight, she laid her head on the side after I unbuckled her and it showed the head support so perfectly that I had her do it again for a picture since I know some people have been wondering about it. This is obviously rf'ing and not ff'ing, but it gives a good picture of the depth of the wings and overall support. :)

I'll also say that seeing how dd fits the seat rf'ing, I can say with confidence that very few kids are going to have a need to use position 3 rf'ing - dd just barely needs it and she's close to the weight limit... most kids will have hit 35lbs before they're her height. *shrug*

And yes, for those of you wondering, at dd's age and size this is 100% her decision - unless she hits the weight limit before she grows tired of rf'ing. I really only expect the novelty to last a week or two at the absolute most, and I'm not worried about her suddenly gaining a bunch in that time period. ;)

ADS

Mama!

Awwwww that's great!! We did flip from RF to FF to RF a few times in the last few mos . I love that seat and it looks so deep! :thumbsup:

Auntie2Avi

She is so cute, and so big! I thought seats can only be used to 30 lbs RF in Canada, is the True Fit from the US? I'm sure you know 100% what you are doing, I am not doubting you, just wondering if the law changed.

It looks like the TF has a ton of leg room RF, would you be able to take a pic of your dd in the EFTA just to compare leg room?

Thanks

snowbird25ca

She is so cute, and so big! I thought seats can only be used to 30 lbs RF in Canada, is the True Fit from the US? I'm sure you know 100% what you are doing, I am not doubting you, just wondering if the law changed.

It looks like the TF has a ton of leg room RF, would you be able to take a pic of your dd in the EFTA just to compare leg room?

Thanks

You're right that prior to now we only had seats with 30lb rf'ing limits. There was nothing preventing manufacturers from putting higher rf'ing limits on the seats, but they weren't. (Rumor has it it was political ;))

So anyways, the TF has a 35lb rf'ing limit and the 1" of head room rule, so dd fits all the labels to use the seat rf'ing. :D

I'll see if I can get her to sit in the EFTA. I suspect that she has a good amount more room in the TF than the EFTA, but the EFTA also has way more room than the MA. The TF is probably actually roomier than the Radian if you don't count how kids can hang their legs over the side of the radian. ;)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I don't need to buy another seat...

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Oh, so cute! Just too adorable, really!

BTW, your dd is cute and adorable, too. :D

(Seriously, all I can think when I see the TF is how dang cute it is!)

snowbird25ca

Oh, so cute! Just too adorable, really!

BTW, your dd is cute and adorable, too. :D

(Seriously, all I can think when I see the TF is how dang cute it is!)

LOL, thanks, it is a nice seat. :D I wish I could have a monet cover though - wouldn't dd look even cuter in that? ;)

featherhead

That looks so comfy:) Your kids remind me of my cousins, Madeline and Gideon. I think they are close to the same ages too.

lemurmommies

Wowee - seeing her in the TF almost makes me want to go out and get one for E! He's been gaining so quickly though (has yet to plateau at 18 months and 32 pounds) that I don't know that it's really worth it. If I had a bigger car, I think it's be easier to justify.

Why must you torture me so!

ETA - what's the expiration on the TF again? 6 years?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
LOL, thanks, it is a nice seat. :D I wish I could have a monet cover though - wouldn't dd look even cuter in that? ;)
You should check over in Swap, a mama wants to swap a Monet cover for anything gender neutral. I wanted to swap with her but DH and older DD outvoted me, they didn't like the Monet. :( (they didn't like the Madison on the Marathon either)

jubgulia

7 year expiration.

Yeah, um, we are using the 3rd harness slots RF, but my recently turned 2 year old has a 15" torso.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC