Question Cosco/Safety1st/Eddie Bauer seat owners. Do your straps twist?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
In my experience, these are some of the nicest straps available now, but they did used to be the worst (they were twisty/ropy up till the end of the puzzle buckle seats, I'm pretty sure, so that's like 3+ years ago, now). Are you guys still running across the twisty ones? (and techs, do you recommend parents call for replacements? They only cost a couple dollars for a new harness, last time I bought one).

I'm just curious...:)

ADS

arly1983

My new uptown has the nicest straps. They do not seem twisty at all.

But I have run into an older Eddie Bauer that looked like this:
Picture121.jpg

ETA: this is one of the first AOE's released so it is pretty old.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ugh, yeah, that gives me the shivers from this far away, lol.
I remember peering into cars and the straps would just be a ropy nightmare like that, but now you look in and see the usual filthy disgusting poorly installed seats, and the straps are the only nice thing about them! (Of course, my Husky and Frontier straps still get twisted in the buckle tongues... so appearances can be deceiving, lol).

Last edited:

Mama!

I've owned several Cosco seats (Summit deluxe, EB AO, Uptown (and one other?) and we've never had ropy twisty straps.

But then again, I never ever let it go when one tried to twist. I'd straighten it out completely before I'd finish buckling the kid in. I've always wondered if if started when people just didnt bother to fix it "this one time" and it escalated from there.

mommycat

I've owned several Cosco seats (Summit deluxe, EB AO, Uptown (and one other?) and we've never had ropy twisty straps.

But then again, I never ever let it go when one tried to twist. I'd straighten it out completely before I'd finish buckling the kid in. I've always wondered if if started when people just didnt bother to fix it "this one time" and it escalated from there.

Same for me. I have 4 AOEs and they try to twist a bit but I am really anal about getting them just do. DS started saying "mommy doesn't like crooked" every time I was putting him in! :D

I have a new(ish) AOE with a non-puzzle buckle and the straps are constantly trying to twist at the buckle tongues and over baby's legs. I can see how this could very quickly degenerate into a mess if I wasn't as careful as I am.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus

Nope - the twisty straps were impossible to keep flat no matter how anal you were. :thumbsdown: I always straightened them out, got the harness tight as I could with a rear-adjust on a FF seat :rolleyes:, but all the kid had to do was breathe heavily and they'd twist up at the slots.

lemurmommies

We had a relatively new EB seat come through our seat check last weekend that had twisty straps that necessitated taking the seat back out of the car after it was properly installed and dealing with the twist because it wouldn't come untwisted while sitting in the vehicle. As several previous posters have mentioned though, it wasn't rope twisty. It was just twisting over the leg area.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nope - the twisty straps were impossible to keep flat no matter how anal you were. :thumbsdown: I always straightened them out, got the harness tight as I could with a rear-adjust on a FF seat :rolleyes:, but all the kid had to do was breathe heavily and they'd twist up at the slots.
But Mama's is pretty new, how old were yours? I don't love cosco, but when I see people maligning brand new ones because of twisty straps, well, it's just not fair :D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It does sound like they are still a little twisty in the buckle still... at least as bad as my Frontier... I don't know why the harness companies can't figure it out... siiiiigh.... Evenflo and Graco were pretty bad for a long time...the Comfortsport was moderately less twisty than the Touriva for awhile there, which is why we used to recommend it over the Touriva (for general parental sanity issues... :D)...then IMMI went to all polyester no more Nylon harnesses, but there are still diffferent 'grades' of harnesses, and maybe the slots in the buckle tongues have something to do with it. Well, I'm just rambling, I don't know why every seat isn't at least as nice as a Marathon or Radian.

MOM25BOYS

I still have one of the Cosco EB FF harness to booster seats, can't remember what it is called???:doh: Anywhoo I can't keep the straps straight on that thing for the life of me. I get them flat on the harness then it twists under the seat or at the puzzle buckle, which I think I dislike even more!:mad: I will be soooo glad when Dec. arrives and that thing meets a greater fate.....:whistle:

christineka

My original scenera harness was twisty. It would twist in the buckle tongues and around dd's butt. I fix them every time I buckle up, but it is a pain. The new harness can't twist in the buckle tongues. I have an old graco cargo and used to have the cosco high back booster. Those had twisty straps too, but I didn't let them stay twisty. The straps that turn to ropes have been buckled many times with more and more twists.

ginny4

i had an OLD version of the AO & they were twisty but were they twisty because i wasn't so careful with it???

dorel seats currently using: apex, & intera & scenera. teh scenera is the twistiest of the bunch! ugh those thimgs drive me bonkers. bvu then again not the new ones that PP mentioned.
i'm a very careful & i be sure no matter which seat that the harness lays perfectly (including the FPSVD & regent we have) . i hardly have a problem in the apex & intera.

Laurette

I have a Scerena that has little buckle tounges and the straps wrinkle some in them. I also have a brand new Uptown and it has bigger tounges but the straps like to twist in them.

I am thinking of calling for replacements... How hard was it to get new straps?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
i had an OLD version of the AO & they were twisty but were they twisty because i wasn't so careful with it???

No, they twisted because you breathed on them :rolleyes::D They are nylon and suck eggs:thumbsdown: I washed, starched, and ironed mine and THAT didn't even help for more than 1 trip (thank goodness I was never in a crash to test out whether I had completely ruined those straps :whistle:)

I've called for replacements and they are super cheap and the customer service people are super nice :thumbsup:

christineka

I just called dorel and told the rep I had a little snag in the scenera harness. She went off to talk to someone, then came back and told me they'd send me the new harness in 7-10 days. I received it in 4 days.

mish

I washed, starched, and ironed mine and THAT didn't even help for more than 1 trip (thank goodness I was never in a crash to test out whether I had completely ruined those straps :whistle:)

This cracked me up. I ironed and starched an Evenflo harness once. When I took the tech class, they were making fun of people who ironed the straps. I was pretty embarrassed.

Defrost

But Mama's is pretty new, how old were yours? I don't love cosco, but when I see people maligning brand new ones because of twisty straps, well, it's just not fair :D

Oh mine were OLD - as in, the company's not even in business any more (Century). I know the newer ones are better. I was just defending those of us with the old ones. :D There really was no avoiding the twisting no matter how good you were about straightening them every time!

I remember the Breverra (I think it was - combo seat with a weird headrest on top?) and whatever Century convertible we had - both were rear-adjust, and the convertible's RF beltpath went OVER the seat. :rolleyes: I hated those seats with a passion - a carseat should never make you cry!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I knew what you meant (I've never seen you unfairly malign a new Cosco, either!).

Ugh, yeah, Century seats were *moody*... the same model might have Super nice straps as another one with instatwist straps. I liked the big rubber belly pads on one NextStep I had, that kept them from twisting :D

Defrost

Ugh, yeah, Century seats were *moody*... the same model might have Super nice straps as another one with instatwist straps. I liked the big rubber belly pads on one NextStep I had, that kept them from twisting :D

That was the one that me cry! Well, I don't think it was a NextStep, I think it was the Breverra, but it was those big rubber harness tongs that really did it. I had to remove the harness because it had gotten twisted, and in the process I removed the rubber buckle-tongs. I couldn't get them back on. I was on the phone with customer support forever trying to get them back on, and he suggested I try using a butter knife to force the harness through. It damaged the harness, and when I told him what happened he said I had to go buy a new carseat. :mad:

Mama!

That was the one that me cry! Well, I don't think it was a NextStep, I think it was the Breverra, but it was those big rubber harness tongs that really did it. I had to remove the harness because it had gotten twisted, and in the process I removed the rubber buckle-tongs. I couldn't get them back on. I was on the phone with customer support forever trying to get them back on, and he suggested I try using a butter knife to force the harness through. It damaged the harness, and when I told him what happened he said I had to go buy a new carseat. :mad:

Oh that sucks.:(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC