So I bought a True Fit today

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I got off the fence of indecision and decided to just get a TF rather than wait to check out the Frontier. ;)

I think I've passed my obsession on to my kids because dd was amazingly excited about the seat coming in the door, and they argued about who got to sit in it. I barely had the seat out of the box when ds started trying to climb into it - on top of the infant padding and all - it was even buckled up still. :p

The seat fits both kids well, the harness is set for the slots that ds would use if he was ff'ing - I'd had them set for dd so just took his pic that way. It's nice and wide in the bum area and dd was able to quite comfortably bend her legs and pull them right up into the seat. Based on her just putting her head to the side, it looks like it'll have decent sleeping support, but I of course won't know that for sure until she falls asleep for real in it. :thumbsup:

I only tested the seatbelt install rf'ing to see how the lock-offs were. I didn't have any difficulty with them, although the seat was admittedly quite upright for the test install - I'll need a pool noodle if the seat is used rf'ing. Dd says she wants to ride "backwards" for a trip, so I might do that. She's technically 1.5lbs under the weight limit. (Yay for Canada's first 35lb rf'ing seat since early 2004. :thumbsup: )

When I installed it ff'ing, I found the seat to be reclined quite similar to how the MA reclines when installed in my truck. I have very sloped seats though, so I don't expect it would be quite as reclined on flatter seats. Ff'ing I installed it with LATCH and it went in as easy as I'd expect a LATCH install to be. ;)

Here's some pic's with both kids, and then in the truck. I included a couple of the silly pic's too. Feel free to ask questions. :)

As for how I like it, I like it well enough, but I'm not over the moon about it. I think the EFTA still wins out just slightly, and if it had higher weight limits in Canada I'd probably re-sell the TF and just get another EFTA. I'm a real fan of the infinite adjust harness and knobs though, so that's probably partly why. :thumbsup:

DSC01335.jpg

DSC01341.jpg

DSC01347.jpg

DSC01360.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

DSC01328.jpg

DSC01355.jpg

ADS

hipmaman

Cool Trudy. Cute kids btw.

Now, what do you like in the EFTA over the TF? Other than the infinite harness

desiree_leigh

Yay!!!! I love it Trudy - Jonas and Jillian look very happy in it too - Mik liked that she could sit criss-cross-applesauce in it ;) - great pics :D

snowbird25ca

Cool Trudy. Cute kids btw.

Now, what do you like in the EFTA over the TF? Other than the infinite harness

Thanks Tam. :)

I think a good part is the infinite adjust harness and the tightening knobs. I do think the EFTA is easier to install though, and I just like it slightly more - it seems a little more comfortable even though both kids obviously found the TF perfectly comfortable and it's very well padded. I can't totally explain it. :eek: My opinion may change after it's been used a little bit, and I'm considering the possibility of trading the seats for a trip just for a true comparison.

But right now my first instinct is that I like the EFTA just a little more. I do definitely like the TF over the MA though - but I'm not a fan of HUGS, and the adjuster on the TF is a little smoother than the MA - plus it's not as narrow through the shoulder area.

One thing I did forget to mention is that changing harness height from position 3 to position 4 is going to be difficult to do in my truck without uninstalling the seat due to the vehicle seat contouring. I did manage to raise the height up, but had a difficult time lowering it down. If it wasn't going to be changed regularly, it wouldn't be a big deal. In my case it's not likely to be moved regularly, so it certainly isn't make or break. :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Yay!!!! I love it Trudy - Jonas and Jillian look very happy in it too - Mik liked that she could sit criss-cross-applesauce in it ;) - great pics :D

Thenks Des. :) Both the kids really loved it. It was really pretty darn funny when Jonas is screaming his head off because I took him out so Jillian could sit in the seat. Jillian at one point was standing there with hands on her hips because she couldn't get into it. :p

Jewels

Senior Community Member
:ROTFLMAO:
I knew you would buy one!

So what is the top slot height compared to the MA once installed (I know it is roughly the same when measured)? More room, less or about the same?

snowbird25ca

:ROTFLMAO:
I knew you would buy one!

So what is the top slot height compared to the MA once installed (I know it is roughly the same when measured)? More room, less or about the same?

I think a tiny bit more. I didn't sit dd in it very long out in the truck because she was complaining about being cold and just wanted to get in the house. And it's a little more upright this install than the first one. So I won't know for absolute certain until she rides in it.

And yeah, in the absence of a Nautilus to buy, I just had to get this one. :cool:
(Although whether I keep it or not the verdict will remain out until it's used a little bit. If dh doesn't like using it I'll probably resell it for just shy of retail and buy another EFTA. We did need another seat though because I want a back up seat for each of the kids and I don't consider the short strapped radian to be a back up.)

snowbird25ca

One question only - how's your foot ?

Hehe, it's doing much better. I've been walking on it with the aircast for about 2 wks now, and walking without the aircast around home for almost a week except for up and down stairs. I had my physio assessment on last Monday and she gave me some range of motion exercises. She is of the opinion - don't know if it's right or wrong, that after 2wks the muscles have mainly healed and I'm not at risk of reinjuring it, so getting mobility back is what's important as long as I stay within my pain tolerance level. At any rate, I'm close to reaching the point of not needing my aircast outside the house I think.. I have to buy new shoelaces before I can try that though, and I think I'm going to get a soft brace to use during transition because regardless of what she said I don't completely trust that it's not just going to turn over again because that's just how it feels. But improvement is improvement and I'm glad to see it happening. :thumbsup:

Thanks for asking. :)

snowbird25ca

it's nice to see the Aroura in real life pics. do you think it'll get hot?

I don't think it's going to get any hotter than any other cover would in our truck - Jillian complained about the radian being hot the other day when we got in, and it's the granite cover... the center fabric on the aurora being a different texture and not plush it's possible it won't get hot the same way. We have a lot of running around to do tomorrow so I'll have a much better idea tomorrow with the multiple ins and outs during midday heat. :thumbsup:

Having seen both, I would've picked misty morning had I had a choice but this one is nice too. (Gray just would've matched my truck much better. ;)

lemurmommies

Man, I need to get more real-life car seat crazy friends. I'd love to get my hands on a True Fit just so play around with and see what it's like!

mommycat

Slightly O/T but since you have kids that can express an opinion... I am slightly biased against the EFTA, mostly because I can't get over how the gaps in the seatback look uncomfortable and I know the uneven lumpiness would drive me crazy. But as I can't sit in one to see if this is true or not and I don't know anyone IRL with one, I can't tell for sure that this would even be an issue. Any comments on this from the kiddos? Have you heard of this concern at all, or is just something I am concerned about without cause?

mamaofthree

Whoo hoo!! My USA Baby does carry this seat, so I'm gonna go check it out IRL. I called the other day and they told me they didn't have it, but I decided to call again and make sure since they have it on their website. They do!!! Guess I talked to an idiot the first time.

Kimberly

snowbird25ca

Slightly O/T but since you have kids that can express an opinion... I am slightly biased against the EFTA, mostly because I can't get over how the gaps in the seatback look uncomfortable and I know the uneven lumpiness would drive me crazy. But as I can't sit in one to see if this is true or not and I don't know anyone IRL with one, I can't tell for sure that this would even be an issue. Any comments on this from the kiddos? Have you heard of this concern at all, or is just something I am concerned about without cause?

Do you mean the gaps where the harness slides up and down? I've never heard a peep out of them. There really isn't that much space that's actually open when it's in use anyways and the back is well padded. Ds isn't very verbal yet, but he's definitely good at expressing displeasure. He's rf'ing in it as well, so his back is on the seat firmer than a ff'ing child's would be.

Here's some links showing how the kids sit in it in the house anyways. I can see what you're wondering about looking at it, but it's not something that's crossed my mind before and the kids haven't complained. Maybe because the length and center of their back is completely supported by the seat, and it's padded quite well, then the slits are shallower?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/Carseats 2/DSC00432-1.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2320/2388329465_4549d5a3f9.jpg?v=0

snowbird25ca

What'sthe FF harness weight limit on that seat? US and Canada are the same? Sorry oht.

This is the first seat in a long time to have identical weights between US and Canada. 35lbs rf'ing and 65lbs ff'ing. :thumbsup:

eta: Of convertible seats anyways. ;)

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I really like the Aurora (the different fabric in the centre looks nice)! Thanks for the pics!! I am going to go check out the fabric in real life. Maybe if I like it better you might want to trade for Misty Morning? ;)

ETA: and SUPER cute kids by the way! Great car seat models! :)

snowbird25ca

I really like the Aurora (the different fabric in the centre looks nice)! Thanks for the pics!! I am going to go check out the fabric in real life. Maybe if I like it better you might want to trade for Misty Morning? ;)

ETA: and SUPER cute kids by the way! Great car seat models! :)

Thanks Techno. I think my carseat excitement has totally rubbed off on them. Ever heard of 2 kids fighting before for who gets to sit in the new seat? :p :rolleyes: :whistle:

Mama!

Wow. If I'd known they were 65 lb harness heights, I might have bought one during the sale.:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC