EFTA Chest Clip makes me uneasy

raelynn

Senior Community Member
Three separate times, I've gone to get DS out of the EFTA and the chest clip is slightly unbuckled :eek: (not enough to come open completely, but definitely unbuckled). I am certain I am buckling it when I put him in it. The chest clip also seems loose when it's buckled, like if I wiggle the halfs when it's buckled, it wiggles more than I would expect it to.

Is this possibly a defect? What can I do about it?

ADS

L-and-A

i have both problems i have gone to get my son out 2 times now to find it half unhooked then other times i cant get it to unbuckle very easily

Murphy's Law

I think it's difficult to unbuckle mine unless I'm at the perfect angle, which is difficult with it RF. Dd is 3 and a half and can unbuckle it with ease. By the time I get to the back of the car to take them out of their seats, her clip is already undone because she undoes it as soon as the car stops. Seems easy for her, but hard for me :confused:

Maybe you want to call the company.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It's worth calling them. I don't know if it's actually a defect, but I'm sure they'll send you a new one. I know if the pieces aren't lined up perfectly when the clip is done up than the one side doesn't always 100% catch. I end up undoing it and redoing it and then it's fine.

Mine was stiff to undo when it was new, but it's gotten easier to do over time.

The chest clip is just a precrash positioner and will either slide down or break open in a collision, so it's nothing to panic over if the chest clip is a titch open when you go to get him out. With a properly tightened harness it isn't going to pose a safety risk. :thumbsup:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It can't hurt to call customer service ... except maybe for the time spent waiting on hold :whistle:

I would also try to see a CPST if possible & then perhaps report to NHTSA.

I wouldn't worry too much, though, considering the chest clip is merely a pre-crash positioner: they do break during the crash, but are intended to ensure that the harness stays properly positioned. They don't exist on most seats in other countries. They are required here as per FMVSS, but don't worry yourself sick while you find a solution ;)

raelynn

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the replies! If Evenflo sends me another chest clip, is there a way to swap them out? I suppose I need to play with the seat more, but I kind of assumed that the straps are attached on both ends - one end to the shoulder slider, and the other end to the tightening knob - there would have to be a way to undo it from one end to swap them out?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for the replies! If Evenflo sends me another chest clip, is there a way to swap them out? I suppose I need to play with the seat more, but I kind of assumed that the straps are attached on both ends - one end to the shoulder slider, and the other end to the tightening knob - there would have to be a way to undo it from one end to swap them out?

LOL, good point. I guess the only option they'd have would be to replace the entire seat? :confused:

I'd have to see it for sure, but I really don't think it sounds like something of major concern.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC