WWYD: rf/ff for 15 hr ea. way trip (please read before voting)

Just for the trip would you:

• turn her ff

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • keep her rf

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • turn her ff for the trip, but back rf while we're there

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

loufrando

Here's the situation:

We are going on a 15 hr ea. way trip to my in-laws for the 4th of July. My dd is still rfing and will be until she hits the limits. She is currently 31 lbs and will be 26.5 months old when we go on this trip.

In the past for this trip we have rigged up a system of 2 separate DVD players, one for rfing ydd and one for ff odd. (the are strapped down tightly not near the girls' heads). I normally wouldn't even ask this question, but my dh asked me very sweetly to consider flipping ydd ff just for the trip. You see, I have an inner ear problem that causes me to get VERY carsick very easily and this trip is usually a doozy for me, even on Dramamine. With the 2 DVD players, I am turning around a lot to switch out the movies. He feels that if ydd were ff, we could have just the one DVD player for both of them to watch and it would cut down on the amount of times I have to turn around by 50%, which would help with my carsickness.

He also feels that if she were ff, we could buy her a travel tray like my odd has (you guys approved it when I bought it- it is soft, lol) and she would be able to color and play more than if she were rfing. He also pointed out that she is over 2 years old and over 30 lbs and he doesn't feel that the safety advantage outweighs my increased carsickness and my safety of turning around that much.

My thoughts are that I agree that he has valid points, but that I am car seat safety um, obsessed and it would be hard for me to turn her ff when she could be rf and that rf is obviously better for her sleep on a long trip.

So, any encouragement or criticism would be greatly appreciated, my lovely car seat gurus! Thanks.

ADS

ginny4

i think your comfort plays a role too. & given her age & size i think it would be fine to turn her for the trip. but ofcourse i'm sure you are flexible enough that IF she ended up not soing well FF (you know with sleeping) you can flip her RF at one of your rest stops

MsFacetious

Hmmmm normally I would say just see how it goes. That seat is so easy to flip around and install FF that it wouldn't be a big deal. I've done that on 6 hour trips. Had them RF at 34lbs in the Scenera, but flipped them if it was really a disaster. But since the issue is your car sickness...that changes it.

I agree with your husband that at 30lbs and 2 years I wouldn't be AS worried about it.... but I still don't think I could stomach it personally. I had such a tough time turning mine around at 3 and 4...I couldn't do it at 2.

If you can handle it I think it's fine.... I personally would be even more sick from seeing her FF than I would from anything else. lol

I would also consider that she could very well HATE FF like my girls did at first...and make your life miserable. So I would be prepared to switch her back to RF if you encounter incredible crankiness. My girls didn't do FF happily until we switched them to Regents.

You are a better person than I....I won't even make the 6 hour trip to my in laws anymore...and I don't get car sick!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC