car seat for a SN child

CaliNanny

What would you recomend for a child who has Down syndrome and has low tone? I was looking into the BV or MA with the Signo/Como as a last choice.RF seat as long as possible is preferred.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Well, obviously you will want to RF as long as possible, so a seat with a 35 lb limit is a definite. I would suggest something with good side support, like the Britax Boulevard with it's side impact "wings." That should be nice and supportive for both RF and FF (eventually). I have also seen a child with low tone do very well in a Safety 1st 3-in-1 (this is the instance I would ever recommend a 3-in-1 seat) because of the head support. An Evenflo Triumph Advance might be an option too, since it has a nice tall shell and is great for ERFing, but with the "bowl" shape we tended to have some head slump issues.

CaliNanny

Thanks Aurora. The BV seems great from what I have gathered but I have heard cases of heads falling forward in FF. Is this a widely experienced issue?

tl01

What would you recomend for a child who has Down syndrome and has low tone? I was looking into the BV or MA with the Signo/Como as a last choice.RF seat as long as possible is preferred.

I know you said the Signo would be your last choice but it might be a good option b/c I don't think it has the head slumping issue that the Blvd has. Also, it has a pretty nice recline when FFing so that might be helpful for you once the seat is FFing. I will also provide head support the way the Blvd does. Is there a particular reason that you don't want the Signo?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I know you said the Signo would be your last choice but it might be a good option b/c I don't think it has the head slumping issue that the Blvd has. Also, it has a pretty nice recline when FFing so that might be helpful for you once the seat is FFing. I will also provide head support the way the Blvd does. Is there a particular reason that you don't want the Signo?

Very true. The Signo would be a good choice because of the deep wings and it does have a great FF recline feature. :thumbsup:

CaliNanny

the signo is on a base that looks so high,im not sure it would work being in the 2nd row of a 2001 oddy and still be able to see out. It would also have to do well in a mazda 3 which is already a small car.

tl01

There's a member on here who has a Mazda3 I believe and I think he has two Signo's in his car. Let me see if I can find a post about it. The MA and Blvd are also on bases. I can tell you that our Como did hamper my ability to see out the side window of my car while RFing... but most RFing seats did affect my view anyway. I just learned to use my mirrors more effectively while driving.

CaliNanny

oh okay i see that now. I know that the MA and the BV have the same shell so would the MA be a good choice as well as far as head support?

MsFacetious

How old is the child? How much do they weigh? What do they ride in now?

We used the Boulevard for my daughter until she had to be turned forward facing at 4 years old. (We had the Marathon as well but prefer the Boulevard.) It was wonderful. We loved it. She loved it. She did not like it forward facing because her legs hang over and go numb. Which is why we went to the Regent that doesn't have a base. However, for most kids that wouldn't be an issue.

I don't have alot of experience with the Signo, I just find the Boulevard easier to install with a seatbelt. So that is why I preferred it. Using LATCH they are about the same. I like both seats. It really comes down to personal preference and ease of use in your specific situation. The head wings are a wonderful thing for the kids that sleep in the car. (As well as side impact protection.)

RF is definitely preferred especially until you get the neck x-rays done at about 3 years old. That is an additional reason that RF is safer for kids with DS.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any more specific question. I am (quite proudly I might add) the only one with a child with DS who is regularly on this board. We do have one member who might be adopting a baby, but other than her I am it. :love:

Good luck with your decision!

CaliNanny

This seat is not for my own child but for someone elses. The only thing I know is that she is 5 years old and is small for her age with DS and the low tone issue.

single mom: is there a specific reason why you liked the BV better for more than just the head support?

MsFacetious

Yes, because you adjust it with a knob vs the Marathon that you unthread the harness.

That's nice of you to be looking for someone else. I have done that in the past yet the mother was not receptive. I hope that you have better luck.

firemomof3

I would also recommend the signo over the boulevard. The side wings offer excellent head support and do not push the head forward like the boulevard sometimes does. Is there a store near you that carries the signo? If not, and you have a Target near you, you can order the signo through Target and always return it to the store if decided not to keep it. Here is a picture of my 28mo. sleeping rf in her signo:
museumtrip015.jpg

CaliNanny

firemomof3: the seat actualy looks better in a real picture. does the signo have the infinate adjust or do you have to rethread it every time?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi, I'm not Firemom but have a Signo. :) You just turn a knob to raise or lower the harness height and don't need to rethread it.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Firemom, are the straps above her shoulders in that pic? It's hard to tell with the harness covers.

thepote

We have the FF Como and love it in our 2005 Odyssey. The slight recline is good for sleeping - and I assume for kids with low tone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC