New Back up Seat Questions

tl01

I've mentioned b4 that I need to buy another seat to leave as a spare for DS for preschool p/u. I was going to buy a forward facing only seat and leave it just for back up but I'm thinking of another plan. I can leave the seat at his preschool w/ his name on it. I was thinking of leaving my Radian b/c it is so narrow and I doubt installing it in most cars would be an issue (forward facing). I would love to get a Signo so I need to see how well DS will fit in it... the shoulder width issue.

Now, would you leave a seat at the preschool or would you store it somewhere in your backyard where people can get to it if they need to pick up the seat. Either way I'm thinking of leaving my Radian... but I still want to use it for travel so I don't want to treat the seat too badly. Anyone have a bad experience leaving a seat at a school. I think it might be a better plan then letting the seat sit outside all the time. We leave in a climate where it is pretty hot in the summer and I can't imagine that is a good thing for the seat. I guess I could even leave the seat stored in carrying case at the school. Thoughts please!

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd hide a key somewhere (since the only people who would be driving Piper are people I would trust at my house alone) and put the seat inside. Then when you call them to ask for a pick up you can tell them where the seat is. Piper's booster and Radian are in her closet.

I don't know that I'd do the Radian, though. If you can guarantee LATCH then it's probably ok. But if you have a seatbelt it's far worse forward facing than rear (IME).

Wendy

tl01

I'd hide a key somewhere (since the only people who would be driving Piper are people I would trust at my house alone) and put the seat inside. Then when you call them to ask for a pick up you can tell them where the seat is. Piper's booster and Radian are in her closet.

I don't know that I'd do the Radian, though. If you can guarantee LATCH then it's probably ok. But if you have a seatbelt it's far worse forward facing than rear (IME).

Wendy

Good point about leaving the seat in the house.

As for the seat. I got a good install today in one of the cars and I did it pretty quickly. I think I could teach the mom how to do it. Too bad she doesn't seem very confident about getting a good install. One of her other seats is a bit loose and I'd love to fix it for her... just don't know the liability about of doing it since I'm not a tech. This situation is only for a total emergency.. ie either I'm too ill to pick up DS or my car is someone totally disabled and I can't figure out any way to get there and DH cannot be reached to p/u DS. We only live a few miles and two stoplights from the school. I didn't check on tethering the seat but I don't think I'd worry about that with the Radian. I'd rather the mom focus on the seatbelt install.

If I buy another seat then I guess I could leave my True Fit. I wonder which is an easier install for a newbie (FFing). The lock off is a little tricky the first few times but does mean she doesn't have to lock the seatbelt. Hmm... maybe that is a better choice. It just means I don't get to use the seat anymore b/c it has to stay in the house:( I really like my TF.

BW1426

If it were me, I'd just buy a scenera or better yet an uptown (on sale for $65 a BigLots this week). How many times do your think it will be used? Also, I don't trust anyone to put my Radians in that doesn't have "Radian experience". Not to be untrustworthy, but they're a tough seat to put in and I've seen the installs on radians screwed up by even techs too many times. Really I'd get something inexpensive that you aren't going to be upset over if for some reason something happens to it.

I'd also try to steer clear of anything super heavy for the sake of whoever will be picking up.

tl01

I'm just thinking since DS is 35 lbs already... I don't know how long at 40 harness seat will last (need to update my sig). I'm thinking I might buy another seat that will last us longer to use as a primary seat and then put one of our current seats into backup mode.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC