I never thought...

agurlsride

That I'd like the color brown but its really starting to grow on me so I bought a Maverick cover on ebay and put it on my MA yesterday, the only issue I have is that the seller didn't tell me that the elastic was shot so I had to do the ol' safety pin trick (cuz I can't sew). I think it looks pretty nice...Oh, and don't worry, the hugs are off because DS is rear-facing.

Maverick.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

cpsaddict

I have never seen that cover, but I like it. Hmmmm, mine has an Onyx cover and I will have a Freedom cover, too, but that one is unique.

agurlsride

I have never seen that cover, but I like it. Hmmmm, mine has an Onyx cover and I will have a Freedom cover, too, but that one is unique.
Yeah I think it came out about 4 or 5 years ago, my oldest son was 3 or 4 and I almost bought a Maverick MA back then but went with the Wiz instead.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
You don't need to know how to sew to replace the elastic ;) Turn it over, and find a spot and rip a couple of stitches from the elastic casing. Cut the elastic, pull it out. Get a new piece of elastic, pin a safety pin through the end, feed the safety pin through the casing. When you finish feeding the elastic through, pin the 2 ends of the elastic together at the length you want, and then either let the pin go into the casing or pin the safety pin to the fabric. It's no big deal and takes maybe 5 minutes max.

agurlsride

You don't need to know how to sew to replace the elastic ;) Turn it over, and find a spot and rip a couple of stitches from the elastic casing. Cut the elastic, pull it out. Get a new piece of elastic, pin a safety pin through the end, feed the safety pin through the casing. When you finish feeding the elastic through, pin the 2 ends of the elastic together at the length you want, and then either let the pin go into the casing or pin the safety pin to the fabric. It's no big deal and takes maybe 5 minutes max.

This one isn't like that. Its an older cover so the elastic is just sewn directly ONTO the cover, not threaded through anything. I definitely could have fixed if it it was. Its like the old Big Cat covers.

Maggie

I have that exact same cover and the elastic was shot. I bought some 1/4" elastic at Walmart for .97 and sewed it right over the old elastic. It doesn't look pretty, but nobody sees the back, so really it's no big deal how it looks. I did it in under 30 minutes.

I can't even sew a button on pants with a needle and thread and I fixed the elastic on the cover. Super easy. I can take a picture of the cover if you'd like to see how I did it.

agurlsride

I have that exact same cover and the elastic was shot. I bought some 1/4" elastic at Walmart for .97 and sewed it right over the old elastic. It doesn't look pretty, but nobody sees the back, so really it's no big deal how it looks. I did it in under 30 minutes.

I can't even sew a button on pants with a needle and thread and I fixed the elastic on the cover. Super easy. I can take a picture of the cover if you'd like to see how I did it.

A picture would be great...but I don't even own a sewing machine. I was thinking of just picking up one of those $17 hand held things but I dont know if it does a zigzag stitch.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
This one isn't like that. Its an older cover so the elastic is just sewn directly ONTO the cover, not threaded through anything. I definitely could have fixed if it it was. Its like the old Big Cat covers.

Hm. I didn't realize they did it like that. I have had several different older covers (2003/2004) and they all had elastic casing :confused:

tjham

Ooooh, pretty!

I have a Faux Paws with shot elastic (no casing). I redid it and it's still not tight enough and I don't feel like redoing it again :rolleyes: so I took a piece of black elastic and sewed it on both sides from one side to the other about 1/4 of the way from the top. It finally stays on great (FF) and no one can see the elastic. Monkey rigged, for sure, but it works. :eek:

agurlsride

Ooooh, pretty!

I have a Faux Paws with shot elastic (no casing). I redid it and it's still not tight enough and I don't feel like redoing it again :rolleyes: so I took a piece of black elastic and sewed it on both sides from one side to the other about 1/4 of the way from the top. It finally stays on great (FF) and no one can see the elastic. Monkey rigged, for sure, but it works. :eek:

I thought about doing that too...maybe I'll try it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC