Question Car seat manuals in German??

featherhead

I was wondering if I could get manuals for car seats (in Canada) in German. There is a lady from church who just had a baby (she is originally from Germany, doesn't speak much english) and we are having a baby shower for her. As a larger item she asked for a car seat (I have yet to confirm what kind, bucket or convertible). I'm pretty sure she doesn't know much about car seats. I was thinking we could get her either a True Fit or a SS1, depending on what she wants. But... I'm worried if we get her the True Fit she won't know how to use it if she can't read the manual in German. I think the SS1 would be a little easier for her to understand without the German instructions, but I think the True Fit would be a better seat to get her.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Because Canada has only two official languages--English and French, you will only find manuals in those languages. In order for carseat companies to translate their manuals and ensure their accuracy, it would be a MASSIVE undertaking. As it is, we have seen a number of errors in the French translations of manuals, so I can't even imagine how many more we would see adding other languages to the confusion.

The best way to approach this is to read the manual yourself, and help her with the install. Then, when she has to change cars or orientation, assist her again. Most carseat manuals are too complex for *native* speakers, so I definitely understand your concerns here!

-Nicole.

featherhead

hmm, that's what I was afraid of. She's a really shy lady, and I'm pretty sure she won't ask if she has a question, or needs to change things (harness height, rf-ff, whatever). Hopefully I can tell her enough when she gets the seat.

lil96

How old is she? Did she go to Gymnasium, Real Schule, Haupt Schule or which school? If she went to Gym, then *generally* they can be fairly fluent and wouldn't need a translation, but that's just my opinion. Some people often read a lot better than they can speak.

But sometimes some brands (idk with those in particular) there are international sites. (just as an example) there could be featherheadcarseats.com and featherheadcarseats.de. at the .de she could read the german instructions (which aren't always exactly the same, so before you tell her that, check the english ones to see if they are the same, kwim?)

The EU seats have tons of different languages! In Canada, do you guys have to have the seats checked by a tech before you can bring the baby home? Maybe if you tell her that, she can ask the Tech?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
While I met tons of Germans who didn't feel like their English was very good, I can't remember a time I met one in person who couldn't understand me if I reverted to English. On the phone, I had trouble a couple of times, and at least once, I think it was stubbornness from a CSR who didn't want to deal with the "dumb American".

If she's shy, it's quite possible she understands a great deal but doesn't feel comfortable speaking, especially with the added possibility that she could make a mistake. I'm *not* shy, but if you throw me in a room with a bunch of German speakers and tell me I'm not allowed to speak English, I just shut down. I understand most of what's going on around me, but my brain and mouth rebel at the idea of speaking German.

featherhead

Thanks guys, I think maybe you're right, she may understand more than I think. I have no idea which school she would have gone to. My guess is she's about 30ish, give or take. At our hospital the nurse just checks the seat, to make sure straps are tight enough, etc. The lady already had her baby, and currently is using an outdated German bucket with a 3 pt harness. I'm not sure now if I'll be able to help pick out a seat or not. They may just give her the money to go buy a car seat on her own. I hope they don't, cause around here we just have a small Walmart, which has little selection, and Canadian Tire which also has a small selection, and is overpriced.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC