I just can't keep my mouth shut......

sixmaybemore

Last night my 7 yo son was discharged from the hospital. We went to Children's of Philadelphia ER at 2 pm Friday, and left Wednesday night at 8:30. Almost all the rooms were doubles on the wing I was in, thus we had a room mate the entire time I was there. Three different ones, actually. Room mate #2 was the one where I think I caused a stir....

I noticed she had a baby bucket under the crib, but didn't see any straps. It looked like it had been around the block. I mentioned this to her nurse two different times over the course of a couple of days. Surely these people have a program, they just need to know, right? Well, she was being discharged yesterday and I noticed the baby bucket still underneath the crib. She's just about ready to walk out the door and I tell her what I do, and would she like me to check her seat for recalls? She says sure. Turns out it was an '05. The straps weren't installed. The bottom of the seat was chewed up where it was to sit in the base. It had two broken pieces, one from the canopy and another piece.

I called Evenflo. One recall, and no, you can't use it without the base, which presented two problems: how would it sit in the base since the bottom of the seat was damaged, and she was planning on using it in the cab without the base. Clearly, the seat needed to be replaced, so I informed her nurses we were going to go up to the family center. I got the "you should MYOB look", and then they asked me what is wrong with the seat.

Ultimately, she left with a new seat, and left the old one behind. Mission accomplished, although I would have been happier with some one on one for installing the seat. At least she didn't walk out the door with the messed up baby bucket.

ADS

courtfrog2

Good for you... I would definately call patient relations and complain at the fact the the DR/nurses/staff had NO clue about carseat safety! Put a bug in Patient relations. That is why they are there. The hospital I work at takes every complaint VERY seriously.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Good for you... I would definately call patient relations and complain at the fact the the DR/nurses/staff had NO clue about carseat safety! Put a bug in Patient relations. That is why they are there. The hospital I work at takes every complaint VERY seriously.

ITA & it couldn't hurt to have contact information ready for nearby CPSTs :twocents: Hopefully someone might be willing/able to help out -- or you could get your certification & take care of the issue yourself :cool: You might also look beyond the hospital into the rest of the community.... Our counties all have day care + child development councils: centers that coordinate quality childcare & support the low income families with scholarships & donations. This is where I volunteer. We are the program that our hospital more or less affiliates with. As soon as I'm able I will also be volunteering to colead the carseat lesson during the parenting classes @ the hospital. Eventually I'll drill everyone enough until I meet with our area Pediatricians, too. Until then, we just provide the brand new infant seats (baseless Assura only available for such programs)

sixmaybemore

I've already upset the apple cart just getting us out of there (long story). I was going to see about calling the people who do the car seat program directly.

sixmaybemore

ITA: it couldn't hurt to have contact information ready for nearby CPSTs :twocents: Hopefully someone might be willing/able to help out -- or you could get your certification & take care of the issue yourself :cool:

I was surprised they didn't give her any names or numbers of CPST's. I'm certified, although nobody really seemed to care. Except for the mom, who was like "my baby could die if I don't use my seat right? I did NOT know that!". The video was very informative for her. I also showed her how to adjust the harness and how to move the straps up when he gets too big for the current harness height.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I was surprised they didn't give her any names or numbers of CPST's. I'm certified, although nobody really seemed to care.
Oops, I didn't notice your signature, just your screen name. Have you already read the sticky about your title here?

Did you happen to have your SafeKids ID on you to prove why they should take your more seriously? :eek:

& yes, CHOP is a sad place for that happen :thumbsdown::(

sixmaybemore

Oops, I didn't notice your signature, just your screen name. Have you already read the sticky about your title here?

Did you happen to have your SafeKids ID on you to prove why they should take your more seriously? :eek:

& yes, CHOP is a sad place for that happen :thumbsdown::(

What sticky where? I haven't been around for a few weeks. My life has been a bit drama laden the past few weeks.

I thought I put my tech number on my profile info anyway.

Last edited:

sixmaybemore

Here ya go, in the Announcements area :) You've got CPST in your signature, but not under your screen name.... Hope this week is better!

Oh, thank you. I had indeed read that, but haven't followed up on the being listed on Safekids. In the (just about) seven years I've been a tech, it's always been a huge hassle to be listed for me. I don't know why. I always check yes, but it never happens/sticks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC